Canon Pixma CIS system operates with constant ink pressure.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm sure you're right about the man that figured out how to reset the cartridges was not be a Canon employee or if he was, he's not anymore. It took about a year before the first resetters became available so it is not a trivial task.

Whether the printer calculates how much the counter should go down as the printer is printing or the cartridge does it internal to itself doesn't really matter. What matters is how to get it to reset and a resetter solves that problem.

I thought all the Canon printers would let you continue to print with refilled cartridges if you just answer a question that you agree to void the warranty and live with the ink level sensors disabled. Are you having a different experience?

nippyink

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I thought all the Canon printers would let you continue to print with refilled cartridges if you just answer a question that you agree to void the warranty and live with the ink level sensors disabled. Are you having a different experience?
Have been so busy on other projects etc that have not had time to play with new MP560 other than print out manual and a couple of other minor jobs, so not aware of that "question" appearing on screen (vast amounts of time spent reading a lot on this forum). I will have to have a look and see what the screen says again
I like to know what I am doing before I take actions that are contrary to what the maker wants or are not mentioned by them.

I guess that what I really need is a proper workshop manual.

Retired now but I was there when the first teleprinters came out and we used many of them.....all mechanical with just electrics that operated a motor that turned a drum which had a spring clutch round it which when released and grabbed the drum operated a thousand-and-one leavers/bellcranks etc. Rather complex and clearances set with feeler gauges + timing had to be correct so rotation of fixed clutch spring point was critical. Training started with complete nut and bolt strip down of the machine then we had to put it all back together again and get it working. That only took a week! Then followed semi mechanical machines, then fully electronic.....oh heavenly bliss to them....but we used ink ribbons so only 2 colour printing (black or Red) but no ink refill problems. Used to work on many other electronic equipments ...radar, radio transmitters/receivers, auto pilots, satellite communications, special coding machines, etc....and all down to component replacement level....nowadays just replace complete black boxes. Good to have technology advances but not when the B***** manufacturers use it against you to rob you of as much money as possible. Long live the real boffins like the one that figured out how to reset chips.
Looks like I will fork out for a chip resetter as I quite like to get a warning of ink levels.
There is a device on ships engines that checks for oil mist in the crankcase (too much mist and BANG! dead engine and possibly people and loss of ship. It sucked samples of air out of crankcase and put it through a photocell where a light cell could see the light at varying brilliance depending on how much oil-mist.....below a certain level of light alarm bells ring and further lesser light engine automatically shut down but with manual over-ride if needed in an emergency....all relativly simple technology. Cart ink level monitor must surely be relativly simple to fix up....probably not worth it at moment with see through carts but if true about new opaque carts being introduced......well.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
nippyink said:
Retired now but I was there when the first teleprinters came out and we used many of them.....all mechanical with just electrics that operated a motor that turned a drum which had a spring clutch round it which when released and grabbed the drum operated a thousand-and-one leavers/bellcranks etc.
Then you must know the real reason why our modern keyboards have an Escape key on them.

aaa

Printer Guru
Reaction score

Correct balancing of the Mariott bottle. For example, Canon IP4700: A=50 mm, B=65 mm, C=15 mm.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That equation would work no matter how big C is because you're using the ground as a reference point. In that case C would always equal B-A. The correct answer to the problem is to use the print head as the reference point and that C must always be 15 mm lower than the print head to provide just enough vacuum to prevent capillary action from siphoning out all the ink in the bottle.

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a canon pixma 2600 that I've been using with a CISS that I picked up from the U.K. I haven't replaced a printhead for 2 1/2 years. all I've done is refilled the bulk ink tanks when the ink level got to one-half. since installing the system, I've had to boil out the print head using windex in a double boiler. once the heads were clean, I primed the cartridges with a needle and replaced the cappillary tubes. I ran a clean cycle twice and now I'm back in business. the bottom of my bulk tank assembly is one-half inch below the printhead surface. the tubes show ink at the top of the cartridge inlet hole. there is no back syphoning to the tanks.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You're lucky but generally the CISS systems aren't recommended to Canon's with separate cartridges, not tri-color carts. The ip2600 may very well work fine with a CISS as some people have had success with converting HP tri-color to CISS. The reason being is that cartridges with integrated print heads are by their nature sealed save for the vent holes and print head nozzles. So as long as you can balance the pressure between the tank and cartridge it'll self feed. The problem is the individual ink cartridges on the higher end Canon's have problems with staying airtight so a little air leaking into the system can instantly burn out the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The real problem with using a CISS on the newer Canon printers is the space or the lack of it.
Theres no room to swing a cat in side those printers and the tubing has a real tendency to get caught on the inside while operating the printer also the top lid has to remain closed.:(
The CISS unit that are on sale for those printers are of very good design and give very little trouble but the its the design of the printer that is the biggest problem not the CISS itself.