Canon Pixma CIS system operates with constant ink pressure.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
First, know that the Canon Pixma printers must have a negative ink pressure at the point of ink input to the print head. The print head operation depends on that negative pressure.

The needed negative pressure is why the ink cartridges have sponge material just above the ink output port. The sponge material generates a negative pressure through capillary action. If you wish to delve into how capillary action works, go to a website like wikipedia.org and read up. If you want to read about the Canon sponged cartridges and their negative pressure, go to google.com/patents and look up U. S. Patent 6,145,972.

Measurements made on CLI-8 cartridges show that they produce ink output pressures from about 1.1 to 2.5 inch water column. Printing tests with a Pixma iP4200 show that the print head will function normally with ink input pressure as weak as 0.3 inch water column, but it would be sensible to operate with pressure closer to 1.0 inch water column. Limiting it to that level protects the cartridge-to-print head seals from overstress.

The benefits of a constant pressure are the prevention of a positive pressure which results in printing gaps and cross contamination, and the prevention of too great a negative pressure causing possible seal leaks and the attendant printing failures.

In operation, the print head sucks in the ink it needs. If it has to suck the ink upward against the force of gravity, a negative pressure will be formed in the tube that carries the ink. To establish a negative 1 inch water column pressure, the ink needs to be sucked upward 1 inch. This means that with a CIS and its tubing connecting to the external bottles, the surface level of the ink in the external bottles needs to be 1 inch below the print head ink entrance. If the surface level of the ink can be kept at 1 inch below the print head ink entrance elevation, the pressure will stay constant.

It has been suggested before that floating the CIS bottles somehow could help make a more constant operating pressure. What is shown here is a practical and simple method of "floating" the CIS bottles resulting in the constant negative pressure desired.

Note that the quantity of magenta ink is distinctly less than the others, but its surface level is the same as the others. The spring lifts the bottle by the correct amount as the ink is consumed.

Each bottle is supported by a coil spring in compression. The spring rate of the compression springs matches the ink weight rate of the bottles. The weight of one inch of ink in the bottle is matched by the force required to compress the spring one inch. The result is that the ink surface is kept at a constant elevation. Since the printer tolerates a spread of the negative pressure, great perfection is not required. If the spring rate accuracy is within 10%, operation will be fine.

Full construction details of this Spring Float CIS will be entered soon.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Very cool! The simplicity and versatility of the springloaded mechanism is beautiful. Look forward to reading more about your method.

Nice job cannonfodder!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Blimey you have been busy.. Looking very good although I do wonder about the longevity of the springs...

Maybe I'll have a play with floated tanks at some point to see if that's possible too :) Although I'm wondering if I've missed some obvious Eureka principle regarding the water level.. Hmm..

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
............... I do wonder about the longevity of the springs.......
The maximum stress level imposed on the springs is about 30,000 psi. At room temperature, the relaxation expectation is far less than 1% in 20 years. One spring engineer said that the springs "will last forever".

I have printed 110 8"X10" sheets of photos on glossy photo paper and about 40 sheets of color purge pattern on plain paper with an iP4200 equipped with this CIS.

Here is a peek inside the printer. Please remember that this is experimental, so not a "finished" thing. Click on the photo to enlarge it and use your back arrow to return to this page.

UPDATE PRINT QUANTITIES

By 12/18/2007 this CIS has printed 175 8"X10" sheets of photos on glossy photo paper and 430 sheets of mixed text and photo printing on plain paper. No indication of air leaks at the seals, no ink flooding or starvation.

I will post details of construction soon. Promise.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well those figures are good enough for me then :)

Certainly looks like you got a lot further than me with all this... Well done :)

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail,

The experience of others, especially you, has contributed greatly to this project. Your recent discovery of the "ink too high" problem helped confirm some of my measurements.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
canonfodder said:
The experience of others, especially you, has contributed greatly to this project. Your recent discovery of the "ink too high" problem helped confirm some of my measurements.
Well glad to help but as we found, it'd already been discovered by about 3 different sets of people who I'd love to hunt down and beat with a wet raddish for making me find out myself :p ;)

Still n'all t'is all good..

aliciajames

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Very cool info. You i always remain confused with my printer in this repect. but now i think my prblm is solved out
tahnxxxxxxxxxxx

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Here are two scans of purge prints done when the CIS ink level was too high. Has anyone else had printouts that might have looked like these or related problems while operating a CIS?

The stripes labelled PK are pigment black. I see some sites call this BK for short. The K stripe is dye black.

When the ink was lowered back to a level that was 0.6" or 1.0" below the cartridge bottom, the problem demonstrated here went away, but it took another page of purge printing before it cleared completely.

When I tried lifting one color at a time to the "too high" level, it seemed to me that the magenta was more prone to problems with this condition than the other colors. Perhaps the print head itself has some variation in the paths for magenta ink, and perhaps it only seems different to me.

Does an extra sensitivity to magenta seem like something you might have experienced also? I know that Websnail went through some pain with magenta.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
canonfodder said:
When I tried lifting one color at a time to the "too high" level, it seemed to me that the magenta was more prone to problems with this condition than the other colors. Perhaps the print head itself has some variation in the paths for magenta ink, and perhaps it only seems different to me.

Does an extra sensitivity to magenta seem like something you might have experienced also? I know that Websnail went through some pain with magenta.
SOME pains??... I went through hell and back with that bloody colour :)

Hadn't thought about the pathways but I guess that would make sense... Could just be the composition though...