Canon MX922 Is There Service Tool or Service Mode?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
Get a 3D printer instead, you can have far more fun with no restrictions or interference from any manufacture... :D
P.S. or have at least 1 spare print head for your 9000...;)
Live the dream without worrying about the ink pads filling...:weee
After many years refilling Canon printers I gave up after using refillable cli-x51 cartridges which hadn't been properly tested and ruined my print head. Now I just buy high quality compatible cartridges for my 2D printers. It's a bit more expensive than refilling myself, but at least I'm not giving the money to Canon.

My 3D printer is another story. I can do whatever I like to that - replace bits, improve bits. There's nothing I can't do myself. If I ever want to improve/fix the software I know I can download a more recent open source version of the firmware. At a pinch I could probably make some mods to the firmware myself if it became necessary.
It is so much better than having Canon looking over my shoulder.:ya

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I gave up after using refillable cli-x51 cartridges which hadn't been properly tested and ruined my print head. Now I just buy high quality compatible cartridges
Why not refill OEM Canon cartridges and have the best of all worlds - high quality refill inks and dependable Canon cartridges?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why not refill OEM Canon cartridges and have the best of all worlds - high quality refill inks and dependable Canon cartridges?
That's what I'd been doing for years, but Canon were making it more and more difficult with each new generation of cartridge. At the time there wasn't a resetter for the OEM cli-5x1 cartridges so I tried refillables from a very reputable source, with disastrous results. I know there are resetters now for these OEM cartridges, and there are relatively simple methods of refilling them, but I decided to give up. I don't print great volumes and no photos and I've not regretted the decision.

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
@ FryingSaucer..

Out of curiosity how exactly did using the refillables result in disaster. Was it through clogged heads or worse still damage to the head itself.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@ FryingSaucer..

Out of curiosity how exactly did using the refillables result in disaster. Was it through clogged heads or worse still damage to the head itself.
I had to replace the print head. That fixed the problem temporarily and stupidly I continued using the new head with the cartridges for a bit longer. That new print head was eventually replaced under warranty, but I'm fairly sure it was also damaged by the cartridges. By this time there was a resetter available for the OEM cartridges, and I did refill a few of these, but I'd had enough, and decided just to buy good quality compatibles in future. I've had no problems with these.

I've found attempting to fix a Canon printer very frustrating compared to my 3D printer, for which I can buy replacement parts very cheaply from a variety of manufacturers, and I can often print replacement parts myself to repair or upgrade it. I don't get messages that says the printer is unusable, and needs to be returned to Canon for an expensive repair. Instead I might be able to fix my 3D printer with a newer version of the firmware for free, or at worst I could replace the mainboard fairly cheaply. The equivalent of the print head is an extruder assembly plus motor which would cost about 1/3 of the price of a Canon print head.

OK, I'm being unfair because my 3D printer is simpler and much less sophisticated than my Canon printers. Its great advantage is its non-proprietary and open source and I can do what I like with it.

Last edited:

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
@ FryingSaucer & 'The Hat'

You 3D Printer owners must of heard of the big scam that's going round the 3D world ?
What you do is buy a 3D printer....use it to make yourself a 3D printer, then return the one you bought for a refund....Simples. :D