Canon MX922 Is There Service Tool or Service Mode?

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Is there a service mode or service tool for Canon 922 ?
If so
Where to get tool or How to get service mode activated etc.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Normally the procedure to enter service mode and info about which service tool to use is found in the service manual. Sadly no service manual is to be found for your printer. There are no service manuals to be found for printers newer than the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridge generation.

The use of the service tools versions 3600 or older that have worked well with Printers of the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 and PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridge generations has caused service mode lock up or even lock up of the printers normal mode, making the printer useless. So attempting service mode operations on your printer is risky! I have had service mode locked on a Canon MG5550 due to the use of service tool v3400. The MG5550 is the European version of the MG5520 which is of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 generation like your printer.

A newer version service tool is needed, and there is a high risk that a tool found on the web is infected with malware. Using a service tool v4720 I have successfully reset a Canon MG5450S. Before doing any experiments with service mode please read this thread which contains the newest forum info about the newer service tools and a link to service tool v4720.

Last edited:

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I won't be attempting to reset my printer unless a service tool or procedure that works can be found.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If your printer is not in the need of a reset I suggest to not experiment with the service tools for now. When you get a warning that the absorber is getting full then is the time to try the service tool as the printer will be locked and useless when the absorber counter reaches 100% so you will have nothing to lose regarding the printer.

The possibility of malware presence in the service tools is another risk. My solution is installing another harddisk in a laptop. This harddisk has windows 7 installed plus necessary drivers but no antivirus software. The service tools are copied to that harddisk. I also keep copies of the new service tools on a USB stick. Both the harddisk and the USB stick have bright orange warning labels attached so I don't use them inadvertently.

When it becomes necessary to do a reset I suggest you write again, maybe the knowledge of the service tools and procedures have improved then. Else I think the service tool v4720 will also work with your printer that is the same cartridge generation as the MG5450S I successfully resat, but I cannot promise that.

arw4

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925 plus a few others
I am following this topic with interest. Sooner or later I will be confronting the same issues with my Canon printers, but of course will wait until I am confronted with the warning before attempting anything with service tools. I was interested in your comment above @PeterBJ.
When you get a warning that the absorber is getting full then is the time to try the service tool as the printer will be locked and useless when the absorber counter reaches 100% so you will have nothing to lose regarding the printer.
I recently had a perfectly good Canon MG5650 which began to display the warning about the waste ink tank. I think I may have made the mistake of continuing to run it until it finally came up with the Waste Ink Tank Full message. It was only at this point I attempted to resolve the issue, and I made several unsuccessful attempts using different versions of the service tool. I regret to say that I gave up in the end, and begrudgingly laid my trusty printer to rest in eternity. It is so unnecessarily wasteful to be forced into the position of disposing of a perfectly good (previously fully functional) printer only for the reason of Canon's engineered software. Our recycling centres must be absolutely full of perfectly good printers that refuse to work only because the software says "no"!

I hope that this topic continues to flourish, and maybe we can build up a useful resource and bank of knowledge to keep our printers running well past Canon's inbuilt designed obsolescence.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I hope that this topic continues to flourish, and maybe we can build up a useful resource and bank of knowledge to keep our printers running well past Canon's inbuilt designed obsolescence.
The answer to that is simply NO, Canon have us all by the short and curlys and when they say its software dead, its dead, we’ve been left powerless and can't interfere with Service Mode any longer on their newer printers.

Hang on to all these older models that still can have Service Mode access by the user and stock up on a couple of print heads too, that’s the only future proof way to beat them at their own game and still enjoy your printing..

arw4

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925 plus a few others
Hang on to all these older models that still can have Service Mode access by the user and stock up on a couple of print heads too, that’s the only future proof way to beat them at their own game and still enjoy your printing..

I think that's where the problem lies. The cost of geniune new print heads can virtually outstrip the cost of buying a brand new replacement printer, although of course this depends on the printer in question. So holding onto the older models may be the only answer.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When the ink absorbers get 95% full a warning is given. When they get 100% full the printer is locked and the only possible operation is unlocking the printer from service mode. @arw4 I think your printer had service mode locked due to the use of a too old service tool. More Canon users have experienced this locking of service mode. Sadly I haven't read about any tricks to unlock a locked service mode.
I also hope that. Thanks to reports shared on the forum it is least now possible to reset the absorber counters on some (all?) printers of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. I haven't read about successful resets of printers of the PGI-x70/CLI-x71 and PGI-x80/CLI-x81 cartridge generations or the Maxify models. But we can hope someone finds a newer service tool and tests it on some of the newer models.

Probably the service costs for printers is set so high that is is less expensive to buy a new printer of a new more refill unfriendly generation?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So the conclusion is don't buy a CANON printer!
Get a 3D printer instead, you can have far more fun with no restrictions or interference from any manufacture... :D
P.S. or have at least 1 spare print head for your 9000...;)
Live the dream without worrying about the ink pads filling...:weee