Canon Ip4700

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi All

New to this forum, but not new to computers and printers.

I will try to make this as short as possible. I was given this Canon ip4700 printer. I was using a Canon MP530 for a long time and was very pleased with it, but felt it was getting a little tired, so I would use this new one I got.

I did a lot of printing on CD/DVD's with my old printer and it has always did a great job. So when I did some research on the new one and seen that it would print on CD/DVD's too I jumped for joy. There again I did my research on the ip4700 and went to the Canon site and downloaded all the drivers for it including the software for printing on CD's. I was thinking this great, everything was going smooth. I am running Win 7 32 bit. So I made sure I got all the right drivers for it.

After doing this I could not get it to print on CD's, it printed all the rest of the stuff just fine, printed plenty of test pages. I thought well maybe I got the wrong software, so I deleted it all and redid it, and I still had the same problem, no printing on CD's. So I contacted Canon and asked them what was my problem, and after several replies back they told me this printer is not designed to print on CD's, plain and simple.

But my question is this why do they sell the CD trays for it and have the software for it and the printer itself has the slot for the tray to slide into. ? I have to believe what they are saying, since they make them and should know what they can and cannot do. Plus the fact I could never get it to work. And having a older MP530 printer that did this printing and have used it for several years, I felt I had a little knowledge of how to set it up and use this feature.

So I hope someone can shed a little light on this for me.

Thanx.....Gunny

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all

I just wanted to add to this question. I went and checked out a few youtube video's too, and it showed what looked like a ip4700 printer turning out printing on a CD. When I did the search here I used in the search the Mod # of this printer so I have to assume the printer they were showing this was the right one. Seeing these is what made me really think it could be done with this printer. Could it be this printer being it is made to sell in the USA and the UK, even though it has the slot and the tray, and the software, there is just something in the make up/brain of this one it cannot handle the CD printing.

Thanx....Gunny

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
...Could it be this printer being it is made to sell in the USA and the UK, even though it has the slot and the tray, and the software, there is just something in the make up/brain of this one it cannot handle the CD printing...
Thanx....Gunny

Yes this is the explanation. Canon printers are regionalized and for patent reasons printers for the USA are locked to prevent CD printing, but CD printing is allowed in the Europe region. The trick is to change the printers region to EUR and delete the printer driver and instead install a printer driver from Canon UK.

Here is a thread describing how this is done; the printer is different, but the problem and the solution is the same: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-cd-print-printer-printing-tray-e-pixma-pro-9000.8440/

Service mode is needed for the region change. You can read about service mode operations in this simplified service manual: http://www.gondack.com.ar/media/useruploads/files/ip4700-ssm.pdf

For more info about service mode operations and for download links to the necessary service tool see this thread: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/ and see this post by Tudor for a working download link and an instruction for download: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/#post-49791

The instruction for how to enter service mode in the service manual is a bit unclear, here it is edited a little to make it more clear:

To start the printer in the service mode:

i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

Be careful with service mode operations, and only do the region change and the EEPROM info to verify the region change, and the test print if you want to do a more detailed nozzle check. Avoid other service mode operations, they can do damage if not used properly. For region change and verification of region, I recommend the the CD enabler tool mentioned in the other thread about a Pro 9000 I linked to.

Feel free to ask about service mode and region changes and other things, before attempting to use service mode, to avoid creating problems.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman & Pete

Hey thanxs for the detailed info. I really appreciate you going to all this trouble. I will read both of your posts and see what I can do. There are a few steps I am no really clear on but I am sure effort will win out.

Thanx.....Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW. Welcome to the forum!

If you are unsure about any of the steps then ask in this thread. There are a number of people who will provide help, such as the consummate expert PeterBJ whose posts are always superb!

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman

I certainly will do that. Like I said I am not new to computers or printers but even so there are always things that might throw me a little. But I will give it a go and see how good I can do. I know telling someone what to do is not the same as being there and controlling the keyboard. :) I have done this a lot with diff people, so been there done that. Again thanx for your time and effort.

Thanx....Gunny

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Gunny

Canon service tools are powerful tools, and like other powerful tools they can do damage if not used properly, so better ask before doing something wrong.

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Pete

I will do that you can count on it. I am pretty good at telling when I run out of brain power. That is why I ask the brainy people these questions. A little knowledge can go a long way but it can also get you in trouble. :)

Thanx.....Gunny

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Now before I get started on this, in your first instructions about the service mode, do I do this before I download any of the software. ? So I am assuming that after I go through pushing these buttons I will be able to see it is in the Service mode.

Thanx....Gunny