Canon Ip4700

phil_gosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP990, Pro-100
I hate to resurrect this old thread, but I wanted to do so to thank you for posting the info. It got things working for me on the MP990.
Steps I did to help others
1. Put into service mode by Pressing Resume and then Power, holding both down for five seconds. While still holding the power button, i pressed the Resume button twice and let go of the power button. That put the MP990 into service mode.
2. I then downloaded the V1050 Service Tool located at http://www.resetters.ru/download/ST1050.zip, I unzipped it and then opened "ServiceToolsLite.exe"
3. I then proceeded to plug the USB from the printer to the computer.
4. Pressed the Reload button, Made sure it was connected by printing test page. Selected "EUR" from the Region dropdown, and press Set.
5. Printed another Test Page to verify.
6. Restarted Printer ... the Print CD Label now shows as an option on HOME.
7. I am using MAC OSX 10.11 ... used the 10.10 driver without issue. Downloaded Driver and Easy-Photo Print EX from the European Site at http://www.canon-europe.com/support...eries/mp990.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=
8. Test Printed to Printer ... Went to printer and waited for prompts. ... Printer received data and notified that i needed to lower tray slot and insert the disk tray. Press ok when ready. This is when I realized that Canon inserted and piece of plastic to block this access point. I used a flat head screw driver and popped it out very easily.
9. Inserted Tray and bingo ... in business.

Good Luck to all of you with an MP990 ... I wasn't using it al all after I purchased a Color Laser but now I just found a use besides using it as a Slide Scanner.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulations with enabling CD printing on the MP990, using the instructions in this thread. :thumbsup

Allow me a couple of questions out of curiosity.

The Service tools are supposed to only work with Windows OS, XP or newer, so I guess you used a Windows computer for the region change?

Do you have the service manual for the MP990 and maybe a link to a free download?

Here is a little more info for others who might want to enable CD printing on older Canon printers. The version 1.050 of the service tool is old. I recommend a newer version that supports more printers. Here is a post with a link and an instruction for downloading the newer version 3.400. The link still works and AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong in the download.

Here is one more thread
about enabling CD printing using a service tool. There also exists a special tool, the "CD Enabler" that is a cut down version of a service tool, it only allows region change and test prints. This post has a link and a description. I have a suspicion that this tool might be written and leaked by Canon. As the CD printing was locked due to patent issues, Canon could of course not give official instructions for CD print enabling. ;)

I think service mode operations are easier with a service tool than with the push button codes used on older printers. You will of course have to find out how to enter service mode and find a service tool that supports your printer. This is not easy or or might even be impossible with the newest Canon printers. For comparison here is an instruction for CD enabling using the old system of service mode operations for older printers.

Last edited:

phil_gosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / MP990, Pro-100
Hi Peter,
To answer your question, I did use a Windows 8.1 Thinkpad T60 laptop but I will make the assumption that it should also work on XP, 7, and 10 on other laptops as well since it does not use any system .dll functions to run. I would also suggest using only a USB 2.0 controller/port to eliminate and conversion issues. The app is a self contained library that runs within its program shell luckily with hooks only into the USB controller/slot the printer is connected to.

Although I would agree that a newer service tool might work and the simplified cd enabler program should work as well, I had a very tough time locating them. I also read on another thread that v1050, although old, had a very high chance of working. I only listed the proven steps I went through that worked with 100% certainty to show what I did, however others might have luck with the other tools as well.

Thank you for your valued input. It looks like I will be keeping this MP990 for a very long time.

Let me know if you have other questions.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I just wanted to know if you had managed to run the service tool on the Mac computer using a Windows emulator or similar, instead of using a Windows computer. If so it would have been something of a sensation and I would have asked for an instruction.

I thought that you possibly had found a free download of the MP990 service manual on the web. If so I would like to add it to my collection.

I have no further questions.