Canon Ip4700

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi.. Just so we are all on the same page this Mod printer does not have a display window, that is why I asked the last question.

Thanx....Gunny

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
First download one of the service tools, I recommend v3400, as this works with both 32 and 64 bit windows, or preferably download the CD enabler tool and place it where convenient. Then enter service mode on the printer, then open the service tool or the CD enabler tool.

The entering service mode on the printer will most likely cause Windows update to download a driver. This is not needed. so you can cancel this download or you can delete this driver, which will show as Canon iP4700 (Copy 1), later.

The printer-only models don't have a display, but the procedure for service mode operations is the same.

When using service mode operations it is important that only the printer, you want to do service mode operations on, is connected to the computer via USB. All other printers must be disconnected. The service tools don't support wireless operation, only USB is supported, so a USB cable must be used, but AFAIK the iP4700 is not a wireless printer, so no problem here.

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
HI All

I am about to start this printer up and do what is described for me to do. A couple of questions, one I have a Canon MP530 installed on this computer will it be nec to remove all the software for it or just physically removing is is enough, and since the printer (ip4700) does not have a display will I get some signal, tone, etc to tell if it is in the service mode. ? Or do I just assume it is in the service mode, after doing the button process. ?

The printer will be and is always connected by USB. And it will be the only printer physically connected to this computer

Thanx.....Gunny

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi All
Is any one around to answer my last questions I am wanting to get started on this.

Thanx....GUnny

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If your that anxious to get started then maybe I can help out.

Once you can see your printer in the control panel that’s all you need i.e. print driver installed, and no other software is needed.

Then turn off your printer, now you can start by holding in the resume button and the on/off button together, don’t remove your fingers.

Next release the resume button but make sure to keep holding the on/off button pressed in.

Now press the resume button twice slowly and then release your finger from the on/off button, leave the printer to do its own thing for a while and when the on/off button light is normal and steady, then the printer is in Service mode.

Next open your Service Tool and carry out the region change that you require and just exit when finished.

Turn off your printer by pressing the on/off button and the printer will now be set to the required region and you can go ahead and install the correct drivers and software..

Service Tool.PNG Cliccck to enlarge..

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat

Hey thanx for the assist. Ya I am ready to start this thing. I am anxious to see how it goes. One thing, Doing these steps is just to get into the service mode, so as soon as I turn off the printer and turn it back on it will be out of the service mode and back to the normal way I see it under properties, etc. Am I right here. ? And when I do the steps to get into the service mode, I will be able to set the region going into the printer properties, am I right with this too.

Thanx....GUnny

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When you turn on your printer again you’ll probably need a new print driver for the region you have chosen.

No you can only set the Region in the Service Tool that you have run as illustrated in post #15

I would advise caution here; if you’re unsure on these steps you shouldn’t do the upgrade till you have a good working knowledge of all the steps and there consequences..

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat

Sorry if I sound a little unsure here I am ok with it. I just was curious about a couple of things. So if I set the region for the UK, does that mean when I go to the Canon site to get the drivers for the CD print I should look for the UK version. ? And maybe I worded it wrong but once I am in the service mode, does it stay in the service mode or does it change back to the normal mode

Thanx....Gunny

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You'll need to visit Canon. co.uk for any new software and drivers to suite your printer, when you follow the procedure given in post #15 your printer will enter Service mode itself, once you power the printer off again the printer will no longer remain in service mode.

Using this procedure allows the printer to enter SERVICE MODE but to access the printer while in service mode you need to run an application called SERVICE TOOL, they have similar names so don't mix them up.

The Service Tool wont run unless the printer is actually in service mode, so please be care with this application as it can destroy you printer if used incorrectly..

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat

Ok I did the button pushing thing, now where do you find this service Tool thing I am supposed to open. ????

Thanx....Gunny