Canon G5050 - waste ink kit install [Feedback Pls]

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
For the avoidance of doubt on this, yep, there is a commercial product but the purpose of this post is to solicit, nay beg for, feedback on this video with particular emphasis on two key questions:
  1. Does it terrify the end-user and leave them running for the local recycling centre to dump their printer...
    ...or armed with the information/confidence to complete the task?
    (sub-question: For the experienced end-users on here, would you consider doing this process if you hit the waste error, assuming you had the printer model?)

2. Is it going to be worth doing this for more Canon printers?

The reason I'm asking is that I invested stupid amounts of time and money into tackling this printer as a sort of suck-it-and-see type deal and because I figured the Canon Megatank models are more likely to be seen as worthy of the time. Ironically the process for the lower ranked G1000 to G4000 series printers is much simpler but I digress... Warts and all input would be welcome.

NB: This is 50 minutes of video with some commentary that isn't strictly necessary so please use the chapter links in the description to speed thing up and/or skip to the bits you fancy.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
NB: This is 50 minutes of video with some commentary that isn't strictly necessary so
That was a nights entertainment Video for the printer Potty, I even got the popcorn out, :pop and if you make a few more of these, I’ll cancel my subscription to Netflix.. :hugs
:lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That was a nights entertainment Video for the printer Potty, I even got the popcorn out, :pop and if you make a few more of these, I’ll cancel my subscription to Netflix.. :hugs
:lol:
You fell asleep didn't you... :\

*considers a new career in sleep therapy* :smack :he

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Installing the potty - getting to the right tubes - disassembling the printer partially - appears to be quite a complex action - I rather would encourage users to get a printer with a replaceable waste ink box.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I vaguely remember attempting to fit a printer Potty on my MB5100 when it was new (Unused) and only needed to remove the sides and back, nothing else, but when I got there, the waste ink tank was so large I didn’t bother going any further..

Not because it dident need one but at that time there wasn’t a waste ink resetter available so I didn’t see the need to proceed, as it would all be for nothing when the waste ink tank did fill up..

But later on I did get a waste ink key so was sorry I didn’t fit one, and then much later again, picked up another new Maxify for a song, so will just dump this one for the new one when the time comes, making the waste ink issue not a problem anymore..

I can see why Websnail showed a very detailed disassembly of his printer because it’s very easy to get disheartened and not proceed, but in the end its worth fitting the Printer potty properly and not have it come back and bite you in the arse later.. A top of the class installation..:thumbsup
You fell asleep didn't you... :\
P.S. And no I didn’t fall asleep because the popcorn lasted till the end..:lol:
I rather would encourage users to get a printer with a replaceable waste ink box.
That still wouldn’t encourage me to purchase an Epson printer..:ep

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
hat still wouldn’t encourage me to purchase an Epson printer..:ep
I'm pretty sure that the Canon maintenance boxes MC-G02 or MC-G04 won't fit into any Epson printer - there wouldn't be a risk at all getting Epson infected by using those in a Megatank printer............

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Food for thought... In case it helps, I did tackle two printers over 10 years ago as a sort of "Is this worth it?" exercise, specifically the iP4000 and iP4200. Both required a lot of steps to disassemble the printer, lots of cables to disconnect and ultimately I found myself thinking that with each extra step I was losing another 5% of my potential audience until eventually the whole thing was pretty moot.

Cut forward to the larger Pro-9500, Pro-100, etc... and I'd like to be able to tackle those but the problem is Canons policy on printhead availability and it's my main pet hatred for the brand, that they deliberately stop manufacturing the printheads past a certain point and then let the product just die on the vine. I suppose you could argue that the waste ink pads are actually set to handle the rough life expectancy of most end-users in that regard but still that's a frick ton of plastic, metal and toxicity waiting to go a landfill or recycling that could otherwise continue to gain use.

So, to summarise I don't see a huge amount of benefit to actually tackling Canon printers too much except I can see that the Megatank series are raising expectations along with the whole "right to repair" movement. So I'm somewhat torn. The Pro-300 and Pro-200 should by all rights have been equipped with the maintenance boxes but Canon didn't bother (null point for you Canon, Tsk!) and yeah okay there are newer Megatanks now incorporating the MC tanks in but that means that people have invested £300+ quid for something that really should not just die because Canon cannot be bothered.

Anyhoo, I guess the proof is going to be in the pudding. If the videos get any mileage, along with the kits then maybe it's worth more effort.

I'm certainly getting a whole lot more interest from Canon printers owners, ironically often from the tri-color type cartridge printers rather than the ink tank type but we'll have to see how much time and or effort I have available.

Thanks for the input @Ink stained Fingers and @The Hat ... Oh and as for switching to Epsons, don't look now but Epson might have maintenance boxes of their own but the platen pad still likes to put in an appearance to ruin the party too. Oh the joys...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Potties serve the current installed base of printers w/o a user replaceable maintenance box. All printers - Canon or Epson alike - which support borderless printing need some pad in the platen to catch the overspray along the edges. And there is still a counter running for it. It's not much of a problem typically to reset the counter on dye ink printers, printers with pigment inks need more care and some inspection if some pigment residue is building up which needs to be cleaned away. I have seen it with some Epson printers that the platen foam pad could easily be removed and washed - 2 screws for a holding grid, but this may vary from printer to printer model.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All printers - Canon or Epson alike - which support borderless printing need some pad in the platen to catch the overspray along the edges. And there is still a counter running for it. It's not much of a problem typically to reset the counter on dye ink printers, printers with pigment inks need more care and some inspection if some pigment residue is building up which needs to be cleaned away. I have seen it with some Epson printers that the platen foam pad could easily be removed and washed - 2 screws for a holding grid, but this may vary from printer to printer model.
Agreed... Worth noting that the platen pad is still a problem for the maintenance box style of printer and one of my contacts rang me to say that Epson had quoted them £900 (about $1100 US) to replace and reset this on the SC-P900...
:th

...I admit I died laughing at the absurdity of it all, but it just goes to prove that Epson service centres are not geared up to think about, much less be aware of those pads and it just means that platen pads are the new Achilles heel or planned obsolescence that needs to be resolved. Epson that's your job if you're listening.

The good news is that WICReset has a function to reset platen pad counters although I'm finding that it's not 100% effective so best not to assume it's going to save anyone's butt just yet.

And yeah, the whole thing of cleaning them is still needed but it is possible with a little bit of absorbent material and some solvent (for pigments).... or just avoid borderless printing if you can and buy a guillotine ;)

Anyhoo... coming full circle.. my question is this... Is it worth developing the Canon resources like this or should I just quit while I'm (sort of) ahead?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson had quoted them £900 (about $1100 US) to replace and reset this on the SC-P900...
Wow ................

Epson service centres are not geared up to think about, much less be aware of those pads and it just means that platen pads are the new Achilles heel or planned obsolescence
That can't be planned if they are not even aware of it.................- 'Achilles' - did they already have inkjet printers those days ?

I was referring more to typical desktop printers in my last posting, and you are right that the issue is more complex with the larger printers - A3 and up , and most users are not even aware of this 'problem zone'.

I don't know how often customers contact you about the platen pad, the waste ink is taken care off in various Canon and Epson printers now in newer models with the maintenance box , the platen pad is probably more an issue with printers targeted for photo/borderless printing like the G550/650 or resp. Epson models.