Canon Chip Removal Made Easy

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Darth said:
Plus I would miss the cd printer (I converted my ip5000 years ago).
If you live in the USA and want a Canon that will print on CD/DVD's then make your selection after checking out Damn Printer web site.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Darth said:
If you live in the USA and want a Canon that will print on CD/DVD's then make your selection after checking out Damn Printer web site.
Yep, that's what I used to convert my ip5000. Works like a charm.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried to remove the chips from the black opaque cartridges and I damaged two of them. I removed the first two successfully following the instruction posted here. Then I got careless and just simply lifted them from the bottom using a utility knife and I got what I deserved. So take extra care when you remove the chips. I have been looking to buy empty black opaque cartridges and so far I have been unsuccessful with all my bidding at ebay.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Darth then buy some OEM CLI-221/CLI-521?

My earlier suggestion for a good replacement printer was a Pixma Pro 9000 II in #20
It would suit you much better than an All in One..;)
Well, I did it. I went to Best Buy and looked at the MG5320 and was not impressed. I thought the scanner was sheet fed and it is not. It is smaller than the separate scanner I already have.

I started looking at the Pro 9000 printers again and discover they were offering a rebate of $200, that brought the total price down to $139. However, I hate mail in rebates, plus reading the fine print, the rebate comes in an American Express card. But, the rebate resulted in a number of NIB with the UPS code cut out, for a little more. I ended up ordering one for $159.99 with Shipping & Handling of $23.49 .

Now I will get a CD tray from Ebay for an additional $39. More than I wanted to spend, but at least I will save buying the OEM CLI-221/CLI521 carts, and I am sure that I will love the Pro 9000.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Darth I am sure that I will love the Pro 9000.
I really hope you enjoy the Pro9000, now all you need to get is a resetter.. :)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
If you seriously want a printer to replace your trusty old iP5000 then the Pixma Pro 9000 II will do the job magnificently,
it has the CLI-8 cartridges which are basically the same as BCI-6 cartridges
but with a chip on them, exactly the same filling procedure and mostly the same inks.. :)
When you say "mostly the same inks" do you mean that I can use my BCI-6 inks for the same colors in the CLI-8 cartridges and just buy the addition colors?

I just bought the BCI-6 inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When you say "mostly the same inks" do you mean that I can use my BCI-6 inks for the same colors in the CLI-8 cartridges and just buy the addition colors?
Yes very much so but youll only need to get a very small amount green and red to complete the set, thats because your new printer will use very little of these two inks.

There will be a slight colour difference but it shouldnt cause you any real problems so long as youre not a perfectionist, it can be overcome with a slight adjustment to your colour Intensity just before you hit the print button.

I use the same I.S. inks in my BCI-6, CLI-8, and CLI-521 cartridges which works out very convenient for me overall.. :)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Darth said:
Their newest requirement requires the downloading of "CD-PrintTools-5.rar" which my Avast reports as a Trojan and won't let me open it!!!!!
If you can find CD-PrintTools-7.zip, it doesn't have the Trojan and works fine (Says it's for a different printer, but works).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nothing suspicious when I scanned with Symantec and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Virustotal.com shows 11 hits as suspicious for v5. No hits from most of the major antivirus software though which leads me to believe this is probably a false positive since the application has been out for some time now.

The latest v7 has 0 hits on virustotal.

Run a scan from virustotal.com for yourself. If you are unable to unrar the file then turn off antivirus protect to do it. You will not be infect by merely unraring a file to your hard drive. You must run the actual file to be infected.

You might want to inquire on Damn Printer if v7 is backward compatible for v5 printers. That way you will avoid your concerns of potential infection.

EDIT

I see you edited your post while I was typing mine. I did download v7 from Damn Printer and scanned it.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Pro9000 MK2 is a PITA. Yes, it does make Photo's beautifully when you finally get it done, but the "front tray" is a joke to load, taking one paper at a time and going through a number of steps to just print one photo. Also, after putting the front cover in the "front tray" position and selecting "print from the front tray" , I often get "the printer will not print in this configuration, please return the front to the normal position" or some such garbage.

Loading the rear tray with 4x6 photo paper never seems to get in the right place, unless I put them in front of some letter size paper, then remove the paper.

I miss the cartridge on the IP5000, where I could keep photo paper pre-loaded. Also, hate the all dye based black ink that wouldn't run if it got wet. Don't trust addressed envelopes going out this way.

At least got it to print CD's.

One man's opinion.

Now I find, the damn thing won't even automatically duplex!