Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
This printer uses the small opaque cartridges which are a pain in the ass to fill until you get accustom to them
or you can change to the clear see through one and swap the chips.

CLI-8 cartridges which are basically the same as BCI-6 cartridges
but with a chip on them, exactly the same filling procedure and mostly the same inks.. :)
This doesn't mean that you can actually use BCI-6 cartridges without a chip does it? That would be TOO good to be true!!!

OK, I have lost track. What are the cartridges that are basically the same size as the CLI-8/BCI-6 but are opaque?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Darth

OK, I have lost track. What are the cartridges that are basically the same size as the CLI-8/BCI-6 but are opaque?
There are none that I am aware of (All transparent) the BCI-6 cartridge will not work in a printer that uses a CLI-8 cartridge, however a CLI-8 cartridge does work in a printer that takes BCI-6 cartridges.

Only the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges are large and all the later manufactured cartridges are smaller some are even opaque to prevent (discourage) refilling.

There is an iP500 above #21 going very cheap if you want it and it takes the BCI-6 cartridges too..

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
There are none that I am aware of (All transparent) the BCI-6 cartridge will not work in a printer that uses a CLI-8 cartridge,
however a CLI-8 cartridge does work in a printer that takes BCI-6 cartridges.

Only the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges are large and all the later manufactured cartridges are smaller
some are even opaque to prevent (discourage) refilling.
I thought I had read in another post that you were recommending to someone with opaque cartridges , that they should buy some OEM CLI-8 cartridges and change the chip from their original carts. Was this a shorter cart but would still physically take the CLI-8 cartridge?

The Hat said:
There is an iP500 above #21 going very cheap if you want it and it takes the BCI-6 cartridges too..
A little to far away, and I looking for a new printer with available spare printheads.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Darth said:
I thought I had read in another post that you were recommending to someone with opaque cartridges ,
that they should buy some OEM CLI-8 cartridges and change the chip from their original carts.
Was this a shorter cart but would still physically take the CLI-8 cartridge?
I recommend chancing the chip from an opaque cartridge (smaller type)
to another smaller cartridge (transparent) to help make refilling easier.

The CLI-8 cartridge will not fit in any another printer that takes smaller cartridges.
It was from CLI-226s (opaque) to CLI-221 / CLI-521 (transparent).. :)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
It was from CLI-226s (opaque) to CLI-221 / CLI-521 (transparent).. :)
OK! Then I should be looking for a new printer that takes the CLI-226 ink carts, like the MG5320, and then buy some OEM CLI-221/CLI-521?
I think I've got it.

All that I was trying to find out what newer printers I should consider (that I could substitute a transparent cart for later refilling).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Darth then buy some OEM CLI-221/CLI-521?

You can pick up empty cartridge easy on EBay.

My earlier suggestion for a good replacement printer was a Pixma Pro 9000 II in post #20
It would suit you much better than an All in One..;)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Darth then buy some OEM CLI-221/CLI-521?

You can pick up empty cartridge easy on EBay.

My earlier suggestion for a good replacement printer was a Pixma Pro 9000 II in post #20
It would suit you much better than an All in One..;)
I agree, but I can't really afford it, or the footprint. Plus I would miss the cd printer (I converted my ip5000 years ago).
Thanks for finally getting through to me.