Canon Chip Removal Made Easy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The best way to remove a Canon chip from their cartridge is to just cut one side
of the little plastic nipple that holds the chip to the cartridge (right side).
Then its only a matter of sliding the chip sideways off the second nipple to free it.

5128_chip_removel_2.png

When mounting it on a new cartridge it may also be possible to just to slide it on without the use of any glue.. :)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'm unclear on why you would want to do this, but I only have experience with a CLI-8 based Pro 9000-2.

Is it so you can use non OEM carts?

Or for CISS?

Or to have a transparent cart work with an opaque cart on the latest Canon printers? Like a 221 cart work in a 225 based printer? (may have numbers wrong)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
l_d_allan

I'd guess it might be all three.. :)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ink_junkie
You would have to remove the entire right nipple to be able to slide the chip off the cartridge ok..
It slides on pretty good on OEMs too.. :)

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
just my 3 cents (inflation) i have had cartridges with bad chips before, while the cartridge itself is good, so if you can take a good chip from a tired cartridge until needed this is a plus

ni9eofse7en

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just bought recently a MG8150 for myself and a MG5250 for the girlfriend, both on good prices/price match from PC World and Currys in the UK. As mentioned elsewhere on this site these models are being upgraded (new number and an alleged increase in output speed I think). So got hold of some CLI521 carts and rechipped with chips off used cli526 carts and hey presto it works. Same size cart from what I can figure but with the added advantage of the clear window to assist in refill. I swapped to Canon last year when I bought a PRO9000, and it was partially because of the ability to refill, that I learnt from contributors on this site, that I moved to them from Epsons. Thanks to Martin at Octoinkjet for supplying good quality ink, Pharmacist for info on the refill method and many others I now refill on a regular basis. I get good quality prints that cost a fraction of what they should cost, and this has rekindled my love of photography and seeing the final output, just one problem I am running out of wall space :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ni9eofse7en said:
Just one problem I am running out of wall space :)
... Don't worry... You could be like the rest of us and running out of space to put new printers...

... or wife/partner patience ;)