Canon Chip Removal Made Easy

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Hat said:
is to just cut one side of the little plastic nipple
When you say cut one side is that a U shape cut from the edge of the chip in & around the lug & back to the outside?
A little red line showing the cut would have been great.....................Just so Stratman fully understands it:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Rodbam:

Your tossing/not using the cartridge, so any way you want, just don't destroy the chip. I would slice the plastic nubs' mushroom cap top off using an X-acto knife or other similar tool.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
So do you just cut around the top of the nipple that we can see in Hats photo or do you slide the knife blade between the cart & chip to cut the nipple?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam said:
So do you just cut around the top of the nipple that we can see in Hats photo or do you slide the knife blade between the cart & chip to cut the nipple?
As you see it in the picture from where the arrow is pointing down towards Australia,
start your cut right at point and just remove the entire plastic nipple.

Then raise the chip slightly on the same side that you cut and slide the chip off the other uncut nipple.
To fit a new chip just reverse the procedure and you probably wont need anything else to keep the chip in place. :ep

OK and you can supply your own fish, stratman has eaten the lot.. :plbb

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you Hat mate even I understood that. I don't have to do the chip swapping but I want to act brainy the next time someone asks:)

galore

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
do you have to cut the nipple on the second cartridge to be able to install the chip taken from the original cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
galore said:
do you have to cut the nipple on the second cartridge to be able to install the chip taken from the original cartridge?
The removal procedure for both chips is exactly the same so yes;
also the new chip will slide back on just as easy and probably wont need anything to hold it on.
Please remember only cut off one side..:)

galore

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
galore said:
The removal procedure for both chips is exactly the same so yes;
also the new chip will slide back on just as easy and probably wont need anything to hold it on.
Please remember only cut off one side..:)
Lol yes now that you explained, it seems very obvious that I have to take off the chip from the second cartridge as well -- I surprise myself sometimes and feel sorry for a minute or two...then I forget :)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What American printers will work with these cartridges. I am looking to retire my ip5000 (which is a breeze to refill) due to printhead problems. I checked the mg5250 and it appears to only be available overseas. Is there a list of compatible printers?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What American printers will work with these cartridges. I am looking to retire my ip5000 (which is a breeze to refill) due to printhead problems. I checked the mg5250 and it appears to only be available overseas. Is there a list of compatible printers?
There are very few printers that take BCI-6 cartridges anymore and the printer you're looking at is available in the US as MG5320 same printer just different codes.

This printer uses the small opaque cartridges which are a pain in the ass to fill until you get accustom to them or you can change to the clear see through one and swap the chips.

If you seriously want a printer to replace your trusty old iP5000 then the Pixma Pro 9000 II will do the job magnificently, it has the CLI-8 cartridges which are basically the same as BCI-6 cartridges but with a chip on them, exactly the same filling procedure and mostly the same inks.. :)