Calibrating and Profiling Monitors...do it correctly. Use Argyll CMS.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
As a matter of interest can we please have an indication of anyone that has taken up using Argyll or DispcalGUI for screen profiling, as a result of (@mikling 's) thread.

Incidentally DispcalGUI is not a command line program as some have suggested, it is a Graphical User Interface and a very nicely written one at that.

I am one, most beneficial.

I am probably the culprit regarding the proliferation of the command line information.

I was reading and became confused by the posts that kept referring to the various command line parameters to obtain the many and varied results that are so attractive to any of us who are constrained by the the usual suspects (Datacolor and x-Rite)

Being of simple mind, every time I start to read the documentation my head hurt. Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, computer documentation is usually a race to the bottom regarding clarity of syntax and logical explanation. I fully appreciate it is free and the documEtation is worth what I pay for it.

Sometime in the dreary months of the new year I have made a note to spend some time figuring the whole thing out. Stand by for some idiotic questions

QUESTION FOR THE CURRENT USERS - can the user define v2 or v4 profiles? I couldn't figure that out when scanning the documentation. OK - I'm sure it is pretty obvious, I just couldn't see it.

PROSPERIOUS NEW YEAR TO ALL ON PRINTER KNOWLEDGE. Forget the "happiness crap". With prosperity you can buy happiness, or a better class of misery if you prefer.

RS.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
This thread was initiated by @mikling and is quite specific in its objective, contributions related to Argyll CMS to calibrate printers and monitors. The like minded contributors gave themselves permission to spend as much time and money as they saw fit to do that.

What you have done is to hijack that ongoing convesation. As you have stated that you are past caring, and need only to speak your mind, based on sixty years of photography.

So that there is no doubt left in your mind as to what exactly it is that I am trying to convey, as politely as I can I will put it into a scenario form for you.

Imagine, for a moment......

A bunch of ladies gathered safely in the confines of the LADIES powder room deep in discussion on "secret womans business" this is high powered stuff they have going on here, intense is not the word.

The door to the LADIES powder room bursts in, and in YOU march, take up a dominating stance, and with what you imagine to be great Authority commence to hold forth in no uncertain terms on why you think that they should refrain from sitting when they need to take a leak, and stand up just like you do, after all you have been standing to take a leak for more than sixty years, and when it comes to such matters you ARE the last word, leading authority, Guru to end ALL Gurus on the subject..................

If this scenario seems rediculous, it is because it reflects your actions as accurately as I am able in polite satire.

Your posts need to be in a thread on their own, so folks who are like minded can find it easily, instead of missing it buried in a thread related to calbration using ArgyllyCMS,

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
This Forum is rather like a beehive. Best to leave it quietly making honey. You can puff in a little smoke, but it is unwise to aim a kick at its backside.:old

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This thread certainly has more twists and turns to it but it is still readable and very interesting despite taking some nasty turns, carry on guys you can handle it.. :hu

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I never intended to hijack a thread. Certainly, all over the World of Forums threads often go way off topic. Yes, it bugs me when it does. Yes, if I did so, then pile on me.

Oh, yes, to correct the bad non-link from my long post, here are what I think are the most useful color and step tablet images out of my collection: http://1drv.ms/1HqMH0m

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@RogerB Well you put the case for calibration, and I think results speak louder than words. Few if any that calibrate have issues with sharing images, the folks that do, can share with confidence. What would good enough look like on a monitor that is also operating in good enough mode? just for starters.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What would good enough look like on a monitor that is also operating in good enough mode? just for starters.
Are we playing Jeopardy? What is the square root of good enough, Alex?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed this thread immensely! It has the full spectrum of those who seek precision, almost at any cost, to those who "fly by the seat of their pants" and experiment their way to what they regard as their most pleasing result. somewhere back in this 9 page thread was the admonition to "know thyself." Many ways to enjoy this process of committing an image to paper.