Calibrating and Profiling Monitors...do it correctly. Use Argyll CMS.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@Emulator is the improvement enough to support the agony of the learning curve required?
And are you seeing that reflected in print quality output, I ask because its tempting, but you are well into the learning. Reading other sources seems to indicate a dedicated following, but they all seem to be computer folks, and one of them, I am NOT.

Also my position - really tempted but arcane documentation and fiddling with all that DOS stuff puts me off.

Comments I hear is that it improves the shadow detail. Something I would appreciate.

How we have been spoiled with "plug and pray"!

RS
On vacation and trying to keep up with the energy level of his prepubescent grandchildren :hu

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Also my position - really tempted but arcane documentation and fiddling with all that DOS stuff puts me off.

Comments I hear is that it improves the shadow detail. Something I would appreciate.

How we have been spoiled with "plug and pray"!

RS
On vacation and trying to keep up with the energy level of his prepubescent grandchildren :hu

If DOS is the cost of shadow detail the @Emulator is in for a LONG wait for this truant.

Whats this "on vacation"..............retirement, they say is one long holiday??.........energy levels........need sympathy.....you got it buddy!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I don't think anyone will be waiting around for either of you, they know you both too well. :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Think about it, you could have a new thread "3DOGS DOES ARGYLLCMS".

Or perhaps not!:)

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
As a matter of interest can we please have an indication of anyone that has taken up using Argyll or DispcalGUI for screen profiling, as a result of (@mikling 's) thread.

Incidentally DispcalGUI is not a command line program as some have suggested, it is a Graphical User Interface and a very nicely written one at that.

I am one, most beneficial.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
As a matter of interest can we please have an indication of anyone that has taken up using Argyll or DispcalGUI for screen profiling, as a result of (@mikling 's) thread.

I am one, most beneficial.

I googled it, once!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I didn't ask for the negatives only the positives.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
If DOS is the cost of shadow detail the @Emulator is in for a LONG wait for this truant.

Whats this "on vacation"..............retirement, they say is one long holiday??.........energy levels........need sympathy.....you got it buddy!

Hi There 3dogs. Just got home couple of hours ago.

Gotta agree that retirement is one long vacation. Don't know how I ever had time to work.

Have recently ascertained following facts after playing competitive games with grandchildren over Christmes.

1: They are relentl3ess. Should come with ON/OFF switches

2: Cunning and deviousness by the Grandparent always trumps youthful enthusiasm. UNLESS the game is a VIDEO-GAME played with a controller, in which case us old codgers don't stand a chance with the youngster's hand-eye coodination and anticipation.

RS

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi There 3dogs. Just got home couple of hours ago.

Gotta agree that retirement is one long vacation. Don't know how I ever had time to work.

Have recently ascertained following facts after playing competitive games with grandchildren over Christmes.

1: They are relentl3ess. Should come with ON/OFF switches

2: Cunning and deviousness by the Grandparent always trumps youthful enthusiasm. UNLESS the game is a VIDEO-GAME played with a controller, in which case us old codgers don't stand a chance with the youngster's hand-eye coodination and anticipation.

RS

Why is it I can sense the relief. Family generations are a blessing, enjoyed in the moment and feed our souls in absence - for men, Grandmothers just cant seem to get enough "face time." I'm glad to get home so I can start missing them all over again.

All of the best, and did your new camera get a good workout in "action "mode with the grandkids?

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
That is a real point of interest @3dogs, what can our printers reproduce ? :confused:

I hear guys say all to often that their prints come out way to dark, and ask why ?, I not being a professional just shrug and say to myself, “you altered your flaming prints that why”. :rolleyes:

Then I hear guys say they shoot in Raw, another shrug from himself, because once you open your raw file in an App. it instantly compiles it so you can view it on your calibrated screen. (Raw prawns come to mind) :\

Now I can hear howls of, “no it flaming doesn’t you twit” and I can instantly say “O’ YES IT DOES “and you can keep saying the opposite, and we could be there forever. (Our very own Pantomime) :ya

The next thing is this “16 bit thing” I mean what’s the point you simply can’t print in 16 bit anyway, your so called raw file is sent to your printer in RGB and it then converts it to CYMK on paper, so that should leave most totally bewildered, but are they ? :hu

My point to all of this is there is awful lot of rainbow chasers (Experts) who talk the talk and say I can perform miracles with my great equipment much better than you can, so upgrade to my standards or get off the pot ! :bow

Finally:- You can have the best equipment in the world but if you lack the patients and skills to use it properly then you’ll be off chasing that far off rainbow again, but hell ask the guy (Expert) down the road and I’m sure he’ll tell you which way it went.. !:weee

That's my rant finished for now and Roy’s shrink may have a whacky new client to deal with, Hm... what his number again please.. :old

My iconoclastic viewpoint well summed up. Thanks, Hat! In the end, it all crashes due to limitations.

As the son and grandson of award winning, published, professional photographers, I've spent my long life in and on the edges of everything photographic. Photography attracts several personality types that can be seen throughout time and regardless of technology. One is the cheap skate, which I readily admit to have fallen into that mode. But I'm older and wiser now ....OK, stop smirking....and while I do need to watch my pennies in retirement, I no longer fret such matters. Example: A guy on a color developing forum living in a room, not an apartment, a room, buying 5 gallon quantities of chemicals to save money. Over 1 gallon, how much?

I can guarentee you that my Ricoh film cameras take every bit as good photos as any Nikon. It isn't in the brand, it's in the photographer.

That brings me to the second personality type rampant in photography, the asthmist. As in suffering from asthma. As in nose in the air sniffing in disdain. A belief that preferred (by who?) brands and spending the big bucks gives them credibility and the right to sniff up there on Mount Olympus. Oops, unintentional pun. Olympus cameras, good as any Nikon.

The third personality type is the anal retentive, the perfectionist. This vs. That. Ad infinitum, ad nauseum. The belief that everything can be graded on an unchanging, absolute scale. Just look at all the threads asking for advice on the "best" whatever. Unwilling to accept their own observations and experience, seeking other's viewpoints.

Look at some of the old, great photographs from the first half of the last century. Oops, no color. ASA, 'scuse me, ISO 10 and slower films. Uncoated lenses. No computer magic permitted in the wet darkroom.

The nerve of those photographers, making great images without all this fretting and fuming and angst.