Bronzing problem solved on the Pro 9500

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam said:
Thanks all:) How do I get the single colours of each cartridge so I can print them out? Jose called it a color purge chart but nothing came up on Google which isn't my friend anymore.
Nothing came up on Google because that is only how Jose describes of it,
but what he referring to is something like this.

Stepchart_large_color2.jpg click to enlarge.

By using prescribe steps of colour (Black) you would lay down a different amount of GO for each step
and therefore would be able to determine which one would be most suitable to use as a Template..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Hat I missed this post but I'm set now & using 100% black. I have copied & pasted this post from the 9000 9500 thread from Andrew (3dogs) where I posted it & realised it really belongs here in this thread.

I'm still experimenting with the GO but so far I'm still stuck on the 80% improvement range. I now have the GO cartridge permanently in the 9500 & it doesn't affect any of my colour prints so far. I now use the GO with 100% black printing on the best setting for plain paper & get a nice even coat with no artifacts such as pooling. Most of my tests have been on the Canon Platinum Gloss paper which is really glossy the hardest test for pigment inks. I will try some on Semi Gloss & see if that shows the same or different results.
After reading The Hats post above I might try a coat of GO on the Canon Matte paper before printing to see if that gives the print a more poppy image.........I do like poppy:) I did get a slight improvement when I gave an already printed image on the matte paper one coat of GO.
Any ideas on how many coats of GO can be applied before introducing problems? You know like can we put any amount of coats of varnish on a piece of wood? So far I have applied two coats & I'm about to give it a third.

PS. We can't use the matte setting because it uses the some dark ink maybe the grey or photo black as it put a dark wash over the print. This was done on the 80% setting.
The third coat of GO at 100% was a no go. The print is covered in what looks like water spots so I will have to try a third coat at a lower opacity. This was on my Cheap Chinese paper.
I have just done a first coat of GO on a darkish print done on Canon Platinum Glossy & it looks about 90% plus & the GO seems to bring out a bit more detail or it could be just makes the print pop more. It seems this might be file dependent for the bronzing/gloss differential as the files I'm printing now seem a lot better than that red parrot shot that had so much gloss differential.

Here's the mess after a 3rd coat of GO applied to a dry print, the was was at 100%. This is on the cheap Chinese gloss paper
_MG_3120_zpsf7f126dd.jpg

Here's the Canon very glossy Canon Platinum print with 1 coat of GO at 100% & it looks really good to me.
_MG_3124_zps70d3d720.jpg

Hardly any or not much gloss differential on this very glossy paper
_MG_3131_zps0c995c7a.jpg

Here's the same file printed on cheap Chinese paper with only half covered with one coat of GO at 100%. It has brought out detail or just made it pop more.
_MG_3116_zps5bfe589e.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Gee Whizz Rod you getting there but it must be costing you a fortune on photo papers.

I decided to leave it to you to do all the testing on different paper and Im very glad I did, I have enough waste paper to be shredding as it is, just a taught leave you printer set to any of the gloss papers and never use the Matte setting.

Try to use smaller size papers say A6 or A5 to do your testing on and only cover half of each print with GO so you can compare the difference easier, also I wouldnt use any more that two passes of GO on the semi or gloss sheets.

Just looking at some of your photos Rod I think Andrew should stay in Victoria and not try and enter any Photo Club Competitions in your neck of the woods, GO GO GO. :ep

Apologies Andrew. :lol: :lol:

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat I'm really quite daft, I really enjoy the printing on bigger papers so tend to use them & most of my tests are on the Chinese paper but it's still $31 for 20 sheets. I will go & buy some cheaper smaller paper so I can afford to eat next week:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
The Hat said:
Gee Whizz Rod you getting there but it must be costing you a fortune on photo papers.

Just looking at some of your photos Rod I think Andrew should stay in Victoria
and not try and enter any Photo Club Competitions in your neck of the woods, GO GO GO. :ep

Apologies Andrew. :lol: :lol:
I resemble that remark.......Saint Hat :rolleyes: :lol:

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ex Saint Hat:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ah yes, but which kind of saint... the type with the halo become anklet or the secret agent, runs into danger type?...

We may never know...

*looks around conspiratorially before vanishing into the shadows*

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So thats it then, you guys have grounded me (No wings) Again..
There must be a bit of devilment in me after all. :somad

Just wait till Andrew's wife finds out about the new PRINTER,:smack
Then well see who needs new wings. :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
:smack
ROFLMAO... I think I've found my favourite smiley of all time...

slackercruster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base
Printer Model
All Epsons!
I'm glad I don't print too big. If I need GO I use a R2000. For matte and papers that are low bronze I use the 3880. The thing with bronzing is burnt out whites show up the worse in gloss with no GO. But on matte they are OK.

I found Hahn FA Baryta the best for low bronzing on glossy paper when no GO is used. Always check out your papers by running a fingermail ove them. Some are delicate as hell. Hahn are about the best I found for scuff resistance on a FAB.