Bronzing problem solved on the Pro 9500

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The most ideal way to print the GO is the way that Jose uses it, with software control while using all the carts in a dedicated printer but this option is not open to the Canon printer users yet.

Most guys are just trying to get their best Photos to really look great without it costing them a fortune and that was the main reason why I decided to reproduce Jose original idea but do it on a Canon printer.

By using the setting I mention in post #25 / #33 they are the most convenient ways to apply the proper amount of GO over the whole of your pictures and paper,
I didnt want to introduce to many complications, sort of keep it simple till we know more.

I did try a lower tint setting on my first attempt and then increased it to 75% and stuck with that because it seemed to eliminate the colour / bronzing problem affectively.

If there is a need for more gloss output then just increase the tint up another couple of notches say 10 to 25% higher or print in best high quality mode, either one will increase the gloss coating on your pictures.

Now you can save on GO by just printing the same picture again this time in greyscale (Tight Registration needed) but youd have to do that with every individual picture where as if you use an overlaid tint (One image) see here for Mikling's indivigual tints http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=4573f316be1a28afb7022ff18a190605&loc=http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/post.php?tid=8400&v=1&libid=1359817463442&out=http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_color2.jpg&ref=http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8400&p=5&title=Inkjet Printer Forum / Ink Jet Refill Forum / Post a reply&txt=http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_color2.jpg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13598179102092 it will work for all your pictures.

By trying to print using any other Media Type settings (like matte, photo, gloss, etc) that will result in the printer using the PKB cart instead of the MBK cart and maybe even the grey which will ruining your whole project, ouch.

It doesnt matter what type of paper (Plain, Satin, Gloss, Fine Art, etc) you want to print this GO onto, just make doublet sure that you have set your Print Media type to plain paper only, the Print Quality however can be set to whatever you want..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The only issue I see with reprinting the actual image in gray scale with GO is this. When I apply an over all coat of GO, it not only eliminates the obvious gloss differential and brozing problems but is also applies go to the UNPRINTED areas where you had 255 white as well as borders.
Even with my IS PRO 9500 MKII inks I get areas that are glossier than most of my luster or satins papers that I usually use. Other areas are less glossy than the paper base. By over printing the print with the same image but converted to gray scale, you will indeed take care of some of the gloss problems, but the unprinted areas will still not be treated and the gloss differential will be even more exagerated. Not to mention the registration problems you would encounter.

From what I can tell, QuadTone RIP only supports Epsn printers unfortunately.

Joe

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Great, now I can't decide whether to get my Workforce 1100 up and running as a business printer again or to convert it into a gloss coater and change the dye 1400 into a heat set pigment printer. Thanks guys for giving me even more things to think about instead of actually doing anything. :barnie :p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Fenrir Enterprises said:
Great, now I can't decide whether to get my Workforce 1100 up and running as a business printer again or to convert it into a gloss coater and change the dye 1400 into a heat set pigment printer. Thanks guys for giving me even more things to think about instead of actually doing anything. :barnie :p
Isnt that what we are here for ?

IDEAS..

:thumbsup

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Hat your way is nice & simple for me so I will stick to that & once I'm up & running I will be more confident to try out other ideas you lot come up with.
As long as I get an even coverage of GO with this simple method I can't imagine how that can be bettered but with that attitude nothing new would ever be invented a:)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ok, Hat, I got lost along the way.

So as long as you print using the media type as plain paper, it always uses only the MK setting. Is this right?

Joe, I had suggested using a "negative" of the image in grayscale to vary the depth of gloss applied. Digital has been with us so long, I bet some folks have not seen a B&W "negative"!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes and negative would work assuming perfect aligment during the second printing pass. Light areas that do not receive enough GO would then do.
But the borders would still remain less glossy unless you also convert the borders.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think the details kill that idea.
Borders ????, who looks there? Now I really think printing is getting to you!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes it does tend to!
The reason is just due to the way I always leave about a 1" border all around. When I print on Red River Pro Satin, the paper base sheen ends up much less shiny than the printed area, specially with OEM inks. Even framed it is obvious. So completely overcoating with GO evens that difference out very effectively. It's just my prefference.
But now you have me intrigued and I might just try a gray scale negative of an image to see how it works with GO over the color positive. If I apply a bit of Gaussian Blur to it, it should negate any bit of misalignment of the paper print during the second pass.