Bronzing problem solved on the Pro 9500

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Jose. Do you have any idea on how different or the same would a print look with one done with the 6 cart system & the one done with the one cart system as far as the Go coverage looks. Does the 6 cart system look more even or hide the bronzing/gloss differential better?
Sorry if this has been answered before but it's the only gap remaining in my knowledge about this.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When I was printing through a Black, Cyan, Yellow, or Magenta document, basically almost printing out of just one cart ( not quite as only a RIP will print through one cart ) I got some very good results using best quality and 100% color fill ( highest DPI setting in the printer )
When I did my first print with the RIP and the curve 5000 value recommended by Jon Cone, my first print came out completely WET almpos dripping coating of GO.
But I used a hair dryer to carefully dry it and it dried perfectly. But obviously I was applying WAY too much GO. So I edited the curve to a 2500 value, effectively reducing the amount by half. This time it was perfect. No more WET look and nearly dry to the touch but still requiring a bit of extra drying.

So if the amount that I was applying with a single cart was "100" then the amount by being able to print out of all 6 carts was 100 divided by six. Aproximately. If I applied 100 per cart, the print would have been soaked dripping with GO.
So basically the same total amount of GO is applied, just that with the 6 carts working, each is only applying 1/6th the amount of the single cart application. The magic amount has to be determined by you and your individual papers.
I would also totally assume that the distribution would be a hell of a lot more uniform with 6 carts firing than with only one. But you need to test it out and decide.
To tally kill Bronzing and Gloss Diferential, you will need a certain amount of GO. That amount is ????
You need to experiment until you reach the minimum that will obliterate all problems. No more, no less!
That way you will not waste GO needlessly.

Joe

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks again Jose. No doubt all will be clear when my GO gets here next week. I can't wait.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Since The Hat does not consider himself a photographer, it wll be up to you to take all the glory of turning the Pro9500MKII into the 1st ZERO Bronzing / Gloss differential Printer.
Just remember that if you choose to put this into constant use, you will have to dedicate it to printing on papers with sheen as you will be no longer be using MK in the MK cart, but instead the "Magic Elixir" that is GO.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rod you certainly raised an interesting question,

using all the carts on a printer and in combination with the rip software would be more comfortable to use and yes probably the best,
however the one cart method works just as well and achieves the same outcome just differently.

To apply just the right amount of GO to your paper you can start with a basic setting of a 75% Black tint
to cover just the image or your paper, set the printer to plain paper, Standard quality output, and use greyscale, now you have a starting point.

If you want to make any adjustments to the amount of GO this can be achieved in three ways,
the first is the most obvious one the Black tint itself Percentage UP/Down.
the second is the Quality output High/Standard/Fast/Custom, the third is paper setting **Plain/Matte/Gloss.
** Edit I must correct this to read only use the plain paper setting and not the two others at all.

Each of the above will altered the amount of GO that can be applied to your paper
its only a matter of using the one you like the best and can alter the easiest and then just enjoy the results.

You should find this new adventure stimulating and very satisfying
but dont tell the wife that youre having affair with a shiny new mistress..

Saints or Sinners ? :gig

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat, I've copied & pasted your info so I can have it at hand when I do my first GO. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the different settings.
Don't laugh but I'm going into Photoshop now to practice creating a black document.
I didn't quite understand something Jose said.
Jose said:
Just remember that if you choose to put this into constant use, you will have to dedicate it to printing on papers with sheen as you will be no longer be using MK in the MK cart, but instead the "Magic Elixir" that is GO.
Does this mean that while I'm printing on gloss or semi gloss/satin papers I can just leave the Mat black filled with GO in the printer & print normally & for B&W too? Geez this will save a lot of cart swapping if it's so.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
rodbam said:
Thanks Hat, I've copied & pasted your info so I can have it at hand when I do my first GO. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the different settings.
Don't laugh but I'm going into Photoshop now to practice creating a black document.
I didn't quite understand something Jose said.
Jose said:
Does this mean that while I'm printing on gloss or semi gloss/satin papers I can just leave the Mat black filled with GO in the printer & print normally & for B&W too? Geez this will save a lot of cart swapping if it's so.
I am only speculating that if your GO is installed in the MK cart, it will not be used when printing on shiny papers. It should use the PK cart. Right HAT?
I would then assume that when you print your Black Document ( GO overlay ) using Gray Scale setting in your Canon Driver and using Plain Paper or Matte as you paper choice, only the PK carts filled with GO will be used and none of the color filled ink carts?

That's the question that I cannot answer as I have never done what The Hat has done during his testing.

I think he may be able to clarify on this better than I.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam wrote:
I am only speculating that if your GO is installed in the MK cart,
it will not be used when printing on shiny papers. It should use the PK cart. Right HAT?
I would never have taught of leaving the GO cartridge in place myself when its not in use,
and there's no reason why it shouldn't work alright,
PROVIDED you restrict your printing of B&Ws to all glossy and Satin papers settings only.

Jose wrote:
Just remember that if you choose to put this into constant use, you will have to dedicate it to printing on papers with sheen
as you will be no longer be using MK in the MK cart, but instead the "Magic Elixir" that is GO.
Rod you should be able to tell us more about that than me,
because if you have only printed on glossy paper then your MK cartridge should be still full,
the majority of my printing uses the MK black so that option is not open to me.

Rod you havent even started to use the Magic Elixir yet and Jose has come up with another brilliant suggestion,
it just means youll have to use your 9000 to do all your matte and plain printing from now on.

The possibility of this application and its use are endless you can gloss your dye ink photos,
including Matte and Canvas prints and it may even help slow the fading process down also..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
This seems to be getting better & better a:) Most of my printing on the pro9000 was done on satin type papers & a cheap (for down here 30$ for 20 A3) gloss paper. The only matte paper I've used was Canons Fine Art Matte which cost about $47 for 20 sheets of A3+ & was a great paper but is now discontinued, their other two fine art matte papers are well over $100 so out of my league.
I got $300 worth of gloss & semi gloss A3 & A3+ Canon papers free with pro9500 so most if not all printing will be done on Luster up to glossy papers.
If I did find a matte paper I could afford I could always swap out the GO cart & put the MBK back in as the 9500 will print great on matte type papers........I think:)
In a week or two all will be revealed:)

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Over on the T-shirt forums there is info on aftermarket RIPs that enable single-cartridge printing on lesser printers such as the Stylus Photo 1400 and the Workforce 1100/7XX0 series printers. Actually I think that would be kind of useless because if you were to do this with a single cartridge the printer would not be able to print properly with the remaining 3 colors. The only alternative use I can think of would be is if you were to also use the printer to print screen burning transparencies (for screen printing) where you want 100% black ink used. Otherwise it'd just be easier to GLOP all 4/6 colors.