Bronzing problem solved on the Pro 9500

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Rod, I am also amazed that more reaction has not been heard, either here or in the "Other" forum.
I was chastrized for putting a certsain person to sleep, with too much information on my vid.

The IS Gloss Op is entirely adequate for this after treatment.
I am testing CONE's very expensive Gloss Op which lucky for me he sent me a 110 ML bottle that normally sells for over $50!!! Can you believe it?
Anyway, even if it turns out to be superior to any others, I simply could not afford ro use it too extensively!
So I have been tweaking the current Epson Stylus GO Process with the rip software and that has turned out to be beyond excellent.

Joe

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Jose I read those comments about the length of your video & I was amazed that with such a great piece of information of solving the bronzing & gloss differential that people can't sit & watch for 5 mins.
I don't have a spare printer for what you did but I watched it right through & I feel I know as much as you do about it now. With most short vids I'm left with questions that need answering but you cover every detail so even a non knowledgeable person like me can really understand. So for people like me keep them coming as they are mate & thanks for putting the time in to give us such excellent information.
The Hat has made some good vids also & after I have put them through Google Translate I learn a lot with him too:)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hat's freedom filler is ideally suited to remove the ink from the cartridge. In the initial bronzing thread I indicated that the PGI-9 was well suited to use as it would be very similar and indeed hat took the initiative (brave person) to try it and it worked for him. Hat was also brave initially to test the GO on his Pro-1 and that is why he knew it would also work on the PGI-9 without having fear.

The GO is used in the MX7600 and IX7000, both are 6 tank printers.

In rinsing I would say that there is not much risk in how it is done because in the final step, you don't have pigment to worry about. In the final stages, I would partially fill the tank with GO and thoroughly shake it up before extraction. This way, you will make sure that there is absolutely nothing to go wrong and no contaminants either. On the final partial fill with GO, go ahead and pop it into the printer and begin flushing out the matte black.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Mike, how would you compare the level of gloss between the GO for the MX7600 and the IS GO for the R1900 / R2000?
I al looking for the best affordable choice to run BUT I just realize that both may not be able to run on an Epson. Could GO Hat is using also work on the Espon 1400?

Thanks

Joe

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Mike now I need to order some GO.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting question joe. You see when I used the R1900 and R1800 I only used the gloss to fill in and not completely cover. In the fill in mode, it must apply just enough to match the gloss from the colors to remove gloss differential and not enhance gloss. In that mode, the gloss optimizer is actually a gloss remover as most times, the paper has higher gloss in the highlight areas. So Hmmm....

My preference for pics runs into semi gloss and luster, in B&W..Carbon prints. I can swab some areas when I get some time. But at this time, I sold off my Pro9500 last weekend to start my new printer savings fund....either a Pro-10 or 100. Thus I am unable to try it on the 9500 at this time. Been too busy as I had a rough month with a series of ailments that tooka while to shake off so I am catching up now.

if you're interested in testing, let me know. I can spot you some as you are best equipped to try it at this time.

Right now I am left with the 9000 and R3000 for photo printing.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Sure, I can do that. I am currently testing three GOs. IS which is yours which I am currently using on both R1900s R2000 and my all GO 1400.
Also a GO from supertobuy.com ( Ebay ) which is truly horrible, and CONEs GO used to overcoat Piezo all black pints. CONE's is completely unaffordable at over $50 per 110ml.

The overcoating with a 6 channel all GO printer ( 1400 ) truly does produce a gorgeous look and it's fully adjustable when printing through the QuadTone RIP. So on relatively low luster paper like RR Ultra Pro Satin, I will use a lower value curve and Lusters with a higher basline sheen and higher value per channel and ultimately on high gloss, I will use the higher value curver.

On my R2000 with OEM, and using full GO setting, the image ends up much glossier than the paper border on just about all papers with sheen. The overall GO application evens it out perfectly.
It's very rewarding to watch as a print is emerging the printer to see just how even the the surface of the print becomes.

So yes, I would love to test it out since I am set up to do so. I think you could definitely begin a new category for either the GO for the Epson or the Canon Printers.

Thanks

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam said:
Thanks Saint Hat I will order the GO & get cracking. I'm amazed this topic hasn't caused a sensation as the bronzing is a major problem on the 9500 with gloss & satin papers using aftermarket inks & this solves it so easily.
I feel really lucky that I have a cartridge resetter for all the Carts & now a solution to the bronzing.
Maybe Martin & Mike should jump on this & include the option of a bottle of GO & a spare cartridge in their 9500 ink kits as this makes the 9500 as usable as the 9000.
Rod I think when you report back on your first gloss print trails, potentially you will be the first photographer to use it on a Canon so your findings will have far more creditability than mine.

Just try it on a small sample first to find the right amount of glazing that would be acceptable to meet your requirements, remember different photo papers may require more/less gloss finish
it will be all down to trial and error to find the best settings, I used full gloss photo paper for mine.

The pro 9500 and iX7000 with be the best (second) printers to do this glazing job properly,
that way youd be able to use the less expensive photo papers and still get a high gloss finish on all your masterpieces..

I think Joe should be called the Saint here not I, O' I forgot we have a Saint Joseph all ready.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ex Saint The Hat said:
Rod I think when you report back on your first gloss print trails, potentially you will be the first photographer
to use it on a Canon so your findings will have far more creditability than mine.
Bugger now that's pressure:)
Ex Saint The Hat said:
Just try it on a small sample first to find the right amount of glazing that would be acceptable to meet your requirements,
remember different photo papers may require more/less gloss finish
it will be all down to trial and error to find the best settings, I used full gloss photo paper for mine.
So all I do to adjust the amount of gloss is to increase or decrease the opacity on the black printout, have I got that right?
The only thing in all this discussion that is not clear for me is the two methods involved. The ex Saint The Hat method using one cartridge to lay an even coat over the whole print & the Saint Jose method of using a second printer with all carts filled with GO to lay down the same amounts of GO over different parts of the print, as though it's printing the shot again.
I would have thought laying an even coat all over the print is all that is needed (the one cart method) What advantages are there in the final look of the print by having say six carts laying down GO in equal amounts over different parts of the print? (the way Jose did it with a second printer)
I should have my GO in a week or so so look out for my HELP post:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
In old Spain they would name their sons after two Saints. So I qualify for two. San Jose and San Francisco or St Joseph and St. Francis.
Actually old custom is to give the child a party celebrating each. Lots of presents is never bad.

But I will humbly try to live up to that title Rod!

You are not printing the same shot again. You are printing a plain blank document filled with, in your case, Black.
In my 6/GO system with the RIP and curve controling the process, you print a pure WHITE document that is of equal dimensions as the print you are overcoating.

Since you are going to use a single channel running simultaneously with the other 9 colors, and will be using Black as you GO overlay printing document. I think opacity will work better than using shades of gray. Pure black and printing the GO overlay in Grayscale through your 9500 MKII driver should work. However, if you are using the MK cart for your GO, then your black document will have to be shot through the printer using Matte Paper as the choice.
When you use the 6 carts GO system and the RIP software running from the curve I showed in the video, ALL carts will print an equal amount of GO.
Without the RIP you cannot get every cart to fire. If you print from a black doc, you will get one of the blacks to print but no the other colors and so on according the to colors of the DOC. So I was rotating different color document to at least eventally distribute the jobs so each carts would get a chance.

I just checked my GO levels and all carts are evenly down to about 75%. That was NOT occuring before I began to print with the RIP and the custom curve. So using the the RIP and curve does indeed print and equal amount od GO from each of the 6 carts.

Joe