Any interest in a simple Photo thread?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
My astronomical pictures taken with a Canon 100D attached to my Celestron EdgeHD 8"SCT:

Solar picture with Baader Continuum filter to enhance solar surface granulation:

Zon 18-08-2013 Baader Solar Continuum.jpg

Solar picture with H-alpha filter to reveal the solar flares and granulation on same telescope:

Zon 18-08-2013 H-alpha contrast enhanced.jpg

Stacked picture to enhance the planetary jovian rings made on the same telescope:

Jupiter_18-05-2014.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I like the way they tuck their feet away to keep warm! I guess the previous one was a juvenile Griffon Vulture, but what is this one?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I like the way they tuck their feet away to keep warm! I guess the previous one was a juvenile Griffon Vulture, but what is this one?
This guy is built for speed (No drag) and the other guy is built for JUST, well JUST eating.. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Was hoping for a more interesting sky, but it did not materialize. Next day socked in with cloud.
The image did not do well in local competitions, scoring in the low 20's out if 30. Need a score of at least 25 to get into award territory.
Ahem. It's hard to imagine how the sky could be any more interesting. I suppose that cloud over on the right could have a bit more detail.

I can't judge it against the competition, since I don't know who was there, but apparently the judges must have been stark raving mad. Well done, Roy. That's a gorgeous photo.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Well its raining, cold and windy so for the first time in ages I have had a valid reason to be up here in my Studio messing around. I am amazed at how much I have forgotten about navigating PS since I hardly use it. However, my image was made with a Canon 40D in 2009 on a visit to the Alice Springs area for the first time and really did need a bit of assistance to bring it to its proper glory. You may be tempted to judge the greens too saturated, not so, as are the colours of the rock, if you are able zoom in on the tree trunk on the right....Whites are good, and the green of the gum leaves are as near to perfect as I can render them. The sky is darkened to render it to as near to the day as I can remember. Needed more work to get the sand true. That was a gray/white rather than the orange, although it is sand made by the worn down shale so it may well hold some red that my eye did not pick up.

Its fun to open forgotten folders and find images that have been made for a point of interest. This one has no particular value like a lot of old(er) casual shots. There is no obvious 'subject' and the scene is relatively uninteresting........but!

These cliffs have been washed clean of any soil over millions of years, the rock cracked by alternate searing heat and freezing cold, but still there is life. Cracks that lead deep enough are home to Ghost gums that will delve hundreds if feet to find nutrition, and the ground plants exploit the ability of shale to provide darkness and entrap any wind blown matter that will rot and provide nourishment.

I was standing on washed river sand, monsoon driven rains can and do create massive floods and the bank in the foreground holds entrapped flotsum mostly a sun baked gray, against iron rich red rock. The bank is host to native plants as there is sufficient open ground for this community loving plant to prosper and spread as they love to. Above the trees take over and send roots over and around all manner of obstacles to find footing and food for the tree to grow...sorta shows just how strong the drive to survive and keep the species abundant really is.
It was the three distinct strata that got my attention first, I liked the scene then, and appreciate it more now..

So with text, the image........enjoy

Alice Springs .jpg

Last edited: