A perfect way to Purge everytime.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Sorry... I had the listing set as "view only" while I was editing the thing and completely forgot to revert it back as being available to buy, so more than a little red faced over here! :/

Got it all sorted so you should be fine...

Websnail and anyone else who can answer my questions. Below is all I need for flushing the Canon Pro 100 cartridges, right?

http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/50ml-(60ml-marked)-Syringe-(Luer-Lock).html
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Cartridge-Flush-Clip-Set-[Canon].html

Also, websnail I don't see an option to add items to my wishlist - maybe I'm overlooking it, but I need help.

How long does it typically take to ship to the US.

Thanks...Al

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Websnail and anyone else who can answer my questions. Below is all I need for flushing the Canon Pro 100 cartridges, right?

http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/50ml-(60ml-marked)-Syringe-(Luer-Lock).html
About the only things I can think of (someone else jump in if I'm missing anything) are distilled water and possibly the components to create the flushing fluid that pharmacist has recommended but those are going to be available closer to home.

Also, websnail I don't see an option to add items to my wishlist - maybe I'm overlooking it, but I need help.
I killed off the functionality as the blasted thing was misleading folks into adding things to their wishlist and then finding they couldn't just add them to cart. I might re-enable with a note explaining a work-around but at the moment it was causing more grief than it was worth.

I believe the cart will retain items for a day or so, but obviously that's not ideal. Needless to say a cart upgrade is on the cards when time allows.

How long does it typically take to ship to the US.
Now that the post-Christmas chaos has subsided (I hope!) it seems to be back to the usual 10 working days, give or take. The hang-up is always customs so it can be quicker or a little later but the post does get through.

Does that help?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Methodical,

I recommend that you also buy one or two empty CLI-8 cartridges and use these for the yellow refill ink with the CLI-42 Y chips attached. The colour of the cartridges doesn't matter as these cartridges can be flushed perfectly white.

The CLI-42 Y cartridge should not be refilled, as remnants of the CLI-42 Y OEM ink react with the refill ink or even the water used in flushing and form a gel that can ruin the print head. See the warning in this thread: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/important-canon-pro-100-cli-42-yellow-ink.8498/

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi @Methodical

Here is a CLI-8M cartridge that was flushed using Octoinkjet's flusher and less than 200 ml of demineralized water. The cartridge appears perfectly white to the eye:

CLI-8M.jpg

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'll let @iPeach post about this later but we had a bet on that she couldn't get one of the other flushing approaches to work better than the clips. Being the non-confrontational type she of course agreed I was right...

... but only after about 3 hours of doing her damnedest (and I do mean her utmost!) to prove me wrong. In fact I'm still waiting for her to post it up in writing so I can gloat :)

All fun aside though, we were actually a little surprised by some of the results... Anyway... Kirsty? Did you have something to add?
:gig

iPeach

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Websnail's cast offs.
Yeah. Next time wear gloves!!
But in all seriousness what Martin is getting me to do is test as a beginner end user. We had a stock of CLI-8 carts that Martin has had kicking around since Noah was little. But having spent 3 hours and a weeks worth of hand & nail cream I've come to the following conclusions.
Both method (fill hole water input vs flush clip) are obviously effective. I found the flush clips slightly more so because I was putting the water in at the point of greatest ink saturation and could confidently apply a little more pressure.
Both approaches left areas where ink took longer to start working out. Using the flush clip used 2-3 fewer syringes of water to be mostly clean, the film hole approach left a stubborn bit of ink in the corner of the sponge next to the ink outlet. Both approaches benefitted from being filled with water and allowed to sit for 5 mins possibly due to the age of some of our cartridges.
Lastly the flush clip allowed me to put water in and draw it back out and put it back in again (hokey cokey style) providing some useful agitation! We videoed this so there may be some evidence of these tests soon and I am certain the blooper reel will be longer than the usable footage!
But @PeterBJ - I'm in awe of the snowy whiteness of your cartridge. #hasmuchtolearn

Attachments

• 20140122_135909.jpg
    20140122_135909.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 377

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The flushing clip allows you to flush the cartridge without removing the ink inlet or pierce a "German refill" hole, leaving the cartridge perfectly intact for what ever refill method you prefer.

Welcome to the Inky Hands Club :lol:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
About the only things I can think of (someone else jump in if I'm missing anything) are distilled water and possibly the components to create the flushing fluid that pharmacist has recommended but those are going to be available closer to home.

I killed off the functionality as the blasted thing was misleading folks into adding things to their wishlist and then finding they couldn't just add them to cart. I might re-enable with a note explaining a work-around but at the moment it was causing more grief than it was worth.

I believe the cart will retain items for a day or so, but obviously that's not ideal. Needless to say a cart upgrade is on the cards when time allows.

Now that the post-Christmas chaos has subsided (I hope!) it seems to be back to the usual 10 working days, give or take. The hang-up is always customs so it can be quicker or a little later but the post does get through.

Does that help?

Thanks and yes this helps.

Al

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Hi Methodical,

I recommend that you also buy one or two empty CLI-8 cartridges and use these for the yellow refill ink with the CLI-42 Y chips attached. The colour of the cartridges doesn't matter as these cartridges can be flushed perfectly white.

The CLI-42 Y cartridge should not be refilled, as remnants of the CLI-42 Y OEM ink react with the refill ink or even the water used in flushing and form a gel that can ruin the print head. See the warning in this thread: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/important-canon-pro-100-cli-42-yellow-ink.8498/

Thanks PeterBJ. I do have those on the radar after reading about the Yella.

I am also trying to find some used cartridges out there to do some testing (cleaning type). I know they are out there because lots of photographers bought them or got them with these end of year photography sales.

Question: Does it matter which chip is swap to the CLI-8 cartridges or are they color calibrate somehow. In other words, can I swap a gray cartridge chip onto a cLI-8 cartridges that destined for, say black ink? If so, is there any special prep that's needed? Just want to know for future use.

Again thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any old BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges will do for testing purposes; you can pick up boxes of them very cheap on eBay.

You can use any CLI-8 cartridge in any colour position but the chips must match I.E. Grey chip for Grey ink and Magenta chip for magenta ink and so on, and so no the grey won’t work in the black cartridge position..