A perfect way to Purge everytime.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Question: Does it matter which chip is swap to the CLI-8 cartridges or are they color calibrate somehow. In other words, can I swap a gray cartridge chip onto a cLI-8 cartridges that destined for, say black ink? If so, is there any special prep that's needed? Just want to know for future use.

The chips are coded both for type and colour, so a CLI-8 cartridge with a CLI-42GY chip attached can only be used instead of a CLI-42GY cartridge.

For chip transfer see this post by The Hat: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-chip-removal-made-easy.5629/

Be careful not to cut the fine tracks on the chip pcb.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just in case you were meaning "can you use say a CLI-8 cartridge as a CLI-42Y for example"

The answer is yet the cartridge can be used that way so long as you obey the chip law (as laid out in the last two posts).

Obviously you would want to make sure you flushed it out completely to avoid colour mixing and mark the cartridge with the "new" colour.

But, overall, unlike older Epson or HP carts that have guiding slots that were designed to only accept a certain type of cartridge, there's nothing like that in Canon Pixmas.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Thanks everyone. Building my knowledge base.

I'm trying to establish a 2nd set of ink cartridges on standby ready to go in, so that I am efficient when it comes to refilling my inks as pointed out here on this forum. However, I can't seem to find anybody (at least no responses for about a 1 week where I've posted - checking Ebay now but no luck) with used CLI-42 ink cartridges. I know I can buy the CLI-8 carts, but they don't have the needed chips. It looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy a set of ink cartridges to get that standby set. How did you'll get your 2nd set of CLI-42 cartridges.

And thanks for the link to the chip transfer guide, PeterBJ. That was going to be one of my next ?.

Thanks...Al

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Take it from me don’t waste your time looking for empty CLI-42 cartridges on eBay, they don’t exist and wont for a very long time and even then they’ll be still be to expensive.

The only way to get another set of chips is to purchase new cartridges but that is also mighty expensive, it would nearly be as cheap to buy another printer and get an extra print head into the bargain..

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Take it from me don’t waste your time looking for empty CLI-42 cartridges on eBay, they don’t exist and wont for a very long time and even then they’ll be still be to expensive.

The only way to get another set of chips is to purchase new cartridges but that is also mighty expensive, it would nearly be as cheap to buy another printer and get an extra print head into the bargain..

Yeah, I guess you are right on every front. I will go looking for the free printer right now.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... although perhaps not outside the USA. You can source a set of CLI-42's here in the UK for around £65 (roughly $100) if you shop around.

For the USA though, to be able to have a set of spare cartridges, printhead, etc.. it would indeed be sensible to get second printer, as @The Hat suggested, crazy though it sounds... but watch out for rebate terms to make sure you don't get stung by "one per household only" or similar

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
They even got a thing called Craig’s List in the US if all else fails ! :)

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Well Canon does have the 1 per household limit and I've already use mine. I found one on CL for $190 (new). What do you'll think? I was hoping for around the cost of ink ($125). What's the cost of print head for the Pro 100? Gotta way my options now.

Al

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What if one of your friends bought one of these printers, and found out he didn't want the printer and sold it to you?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What's the cost of print head for the Pro 100? Gotta way my options now.
I don't have an exact figure but it's got to be in the $100 - $150 price bracket but you'd want to be 100% sure about the CraigsList item being unopened, etc.. before buying*

*apologies for the obvious "Grandma, this is how you suck eggs"