A perfect way to Purge everytime.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I got a pair of modified orange clips the other day, one for each size cart large and small
which makes purging any cartridge pretty easy in fact downright simple.

5128_twin_refillers.jpg

I had all four carts cleaned out in no time at all using a 60ml syringe to push plain water
into the outlet hole and exiting through a drill hole in the top of the reservoir.

I made one up myself a while ago but it needed to be held on with a rubber band
but these new ones just clip on neatly and before you ask I got them from OctoInkjet.

5128_4_carts.jpg

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Martin modified them for you? What adhesive is that?

I use this pump and demineralized water:

<--- click to enlarge

Water goes in the ink chamber and exits through vent and exit port.

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A Luer-slip syringe fits perfectly into the ink inlet on a Canon cartridge, so here is a cartridge flusher made from a refill kit syringe and a rubber bushing of unknown origin. The rubber bushing holds the syringe securely in place on the kitchen sink faucet. You can see that water exits from the ink outlet, vent, and a hole for the German method refill.

I live in a hard water area, but after flushing the cartridge I use another Luer-slip syringe for a final flush with a little de-mineralized water.

6881_cartridge_flusher2.jpg

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You all are purging the wrong area. You need to wash the sponge, but you're mainly running water through the ink chamber and along the bottom of the sponge. It's mostly just an accident that you happen to wash the top of the sponge.

Why not just suck water through the vent and see if that isn't more efficient. I suppose you could also push water out through the vent, but sucking seems foolproof for leaving the vent clean.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have used several different gadgets including this one for purging
but found these ones from websnail be the best so far, he got them made up specially.

5128_purge_2.jpg

I push the water into the carts and then suck it out once I clear most of the ink out first

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
hahaha

ThrillaMozilla, I get that feeling too, sometimes. You know, that everyone is walking backwards... :)

Water injected through the ink chamber doesn't just go out the exit port, it tries to exit through every hole. It is a pressurized system, after all... My pump is rated 2bar; if I try to go higher... it has a release valve.

8048_purged_521_520.jpg

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
The Hat said:
but found these ones from websnail be the best so far, he got them made up specially.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/5128_purge_2.jpg

I push the water into the carts and then suck it out once I clear most of the ink out first
I finagled the clear hose onto the 226 ink outlet port and the 225 outlet port :cool: with some hot water and persuasion but your clips make it super easy and make more sense, I got the job done though!

cheers Ant

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

I checked the website, but didn't find this flusher. Were they made specially for you or are they generally available?

If a Luer lock 90 male-female elbow bend exists and with the Luer lock fitting on the flusher properly aligned, this would make a perfect Freedom refill adapter for use with a Luer lock syringe.

In the image of my flusher I carefully adjusted water flow so water also emerged from the vent. This is no accident. I think that when the water runs clear from both the vent and the ink outlet, the cartridge is purged.

I have also used a Freedom method refill adapter for purging. It is well suited for the job. You can force water through the vent, suck water through the vent, and also clean the ink chamber. But I think that Tudor's and my flushers are easier to use.

I have some CLI-8 cartridges, I can flush. These cartridges are transparent, so I can see if the flusher works well or not. I could also try to block the ink outlet with a finger or a storage clip, forcing more water through the vent. I have also made a Freedom refill adapter similar to the one The Hat got from Octoink UK. This could also be attached to my flusher, and the refill hole could be open or plugged. I will do these tests and report back. I will do the first tests with a cartridge, that is already purged. One thing is being sprayed with water, another thing is being sprayed with ink :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ah ha Peter you caught me out, yes they will be generally available and no it wasnt a one off special order for me.

The new clips will be online in about 72 hours, I was buying more empty carts from websnail
and I just got the chance to test them out first.

Both Tudors and your own rigs do work very well as did mine,
but these new ones are much more convenient than the lot.

All thats need extra is a 60ml. syringe and a cupful of water (Soft in my case)
then with a couple of squirts of water with the syringe and your done, fast Id say..

I place my cartridges to dry using ghwellsjr tissue paper and the screw attached idea,
sitting on a larger piece of tissue which causes the cartridges to wick much faster, less than an hour..:)