A perfect way to Purge everytime.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for info about the clips. I will order some after Easter. If they are made with a professional grade adhesive they will be be more reliable than my adapters made with hot melt glue. The glue is the Achilles heel in making these adapters.

BTW I have just bought a garden sprayer like the one Tudor uses. It was offered in Lidl Denmark a week ago, DKK 35 or 4.70, and they still had some in stock. Using this garden sprayer is a more controlled approach than attaching something directly to the faucet. Controlling pressure is better than controlling flow, if the initial pressure is high.

ThrillaMozilla might be right about my purging procedure not being optimal, but eventually the cartridge will become clean. See this video, which I think is made by a forum member: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqutxm_oiM

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
And by the way, if you push tap water through the ink chamber, you will probably never really get it out of the sponge unless you rinse with an equal amount of distilled water. A certain amount will go into the sponge (you know that because you are washing ink out), but it's not an efficient exchange.

The ink manufacturers make a big deal about how wonderfully pure their water is. If you have ever seen pigment ink flocculate (it's just like milk curdling), you are probably aware of the potential for damage. Just thought you'd like to know.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have done some comparison tests with various combinations of my flusher from post #4, the garden sprayer, a 50 ml syringe and a Freedom refill adapter.

I have to admit that the combination of the Freedom refill adapter plus 50 ml syringe is the best, with least amount of water used. So I will stick with the Freedom refill adapter for purging and buy some ready made adapters when they become available.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I made my Freedom style clips similar to The Hat I bought the original clips from Octoinks some luer adaptors both male/female (only straight available) from E.bay 2.40 for 10 and epoxyied them to the clips. I only use the 24 hour variety where water is concerned. Topfill carts are done very quick but German method works quite well as well.

Using 60ml syringe with tap water Hard unfortunately finish with distilled water. But thinking about ThrillaMozilla remarks my last 2 Freedom refills produced huge amounts of foam on recently purged carts. Could this be the cause ? air left in the foam due to the pressure generated ?

I gave up and topfilled but other Freedom carts refilled without noticing noticable foaming.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
barfl2 said:
But thinking about ThrillaMozilla remarks my last 2 Freedom refills produced huge amounts of foam on recently purged carts. Could this be the cause ? air left in the foam due to the pressure generated ?

I gave up and topfilled but other Freedom carts refilled without noticing noticable foaming.
You may not have had the vent sealed vacuum-tight. I found that it is quite easy to leave a small leak, and I was bone-headed enough not to realize it at first. I'm not entirely sure, but some brands of ink may foam more than others. But check first for leaks. After one or two pumps you should get less foaming. You always need extra ink in the syringe, though, to accommodate some foaming (don't let air or foam go back into the cartridge). But once I had figure all that out, it was easy.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
PeterBJ said:
I checked the website, but didn't find this flusher. Were they made specially for you or are they generally available?
I stupidly(?) sent them to The Hat for a bit of a test as I knew he needed something like that and I was playing with ideas... But I didn't think to actually get anything listed or produced in numbers...

#facePalm

I've not managed to put a listing online yet, having only just recovered from VAT return time, and the Easter order rush but I'll get some made up in the next 48 hours and put the listing online.

As to the adhesive, it's a hot glue type but I can't share it as it was a git to locate and one of those proprietary secret things (sorry)... That said you need to identify a glue type that will bond your different materials together properly.

One thing that may or may not have been picked up on here is that if you're using pressure to force the water in via my mod'd clip, you could potentially dislodge the sponges somewhat from their standard position so be careful about using too much positive pressure directly through the outlet port. If they do become dislodged you may find getting the sponges thoroughly wet and then using a little gravity followed by an abrupt stop is required to get them back to their normal position.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Right, the clips are now available after a few hours of manufacture.

As per a little feedback, I've made them available as pairs of PGI + CLI clips. Given that they're intended to be used for flushing I realised it's easy enough to flush the clip and re-use with the next colour/cartridge rather than having one for each colour (yes, even I have dumb & dumber days).

http://www.octoink.co.uk/products.php?productid=400

Incidentally, following on from the discovery of this kit:
http://www.jero.de/katalog/artikelinfo/58/hpca_single_jig_canon_cli8521526_pgi5520525_bci_3und6

... it seems you might also use the clips as vacuum refillers for your cartridges provided you sealed the vent hole (and any others you may have made). Watch the video on the Jero link above though (if you're thinking along these lines) as the cartridge would need to stabilise before you sealed it all back up again.

Edit: Thinking this last bit through... Perhaps not the best idea as there's likely to be ink creep/leakage behind the silicon disk... [/end brain dump]

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Interesting site products look well designed. Thought the Airbox system interesting to remove any bubbles left in the cart. Would solve a lot of bad cartridge feeding problems experienced by Forum members.

Incidentally, following on from the discovery of this kit:
http://www.jero.de/katalog/artikelinfo/ _bci_3und6

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The link leads to a "Artikelnummer nicht gefunden" ("Item not found"). Maybe you meant this: http://www.jero.de/?content=katalog...n_cli8521526_pgi5520525_bci_3und6&group=1028& or this: http://www.jero.de/katalog/artikelinfo/58/hpca_single_jig_canon_cli8521526_pgi5520525_bci_3und6

The products look to be very high quality manufactured, but are way too expensive for the home refiller in my opinion. I think websnail's flusher/refiller or one of the designs from the Freedom Refill Method thread will work just as well, if you seal the vent with alumini(u)m tape: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6750

Also the jero products don't have the right angle bend recommended by ghwellsjr, and probably therefore could have a tendency to overfill the sponges, before the ink reservoir is filled.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ said:
The products look to be very high quality manufactured, but are way too expensive for the home refiller in my opinion. I think websnail's flusher/refiller or one of the designs from the Freedom Refill Method thread will work just as well, if you seal the vent with alumini(u)m tape: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6750
In truth that was my thinking too but I suspect they're aiming more at the commercial refiller market or those who are running operations that get through a cartridge a day, etc... where it speeds things up. Looking at the cost of automated or so called "professional" refilling machines it does seem to provide a nice extra rung on the ladder for someone looking to get into that side of things.

Also the jero products don't have the right angle bend recommended by ghwellsjr, and probably therefore could have a tendency to overfill the sponges, before the ink reservoir is filled.
They covered some of that in the video, which was quite illuminating in places... Well worth watching them to see their thinking and how they went about designing the kits.