9000 v 9000 MkII

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Andrew
The best paper you can use for your books would be laid paper both text and colour photos look very well on it,
you would have to do a print on it yourself to see how good is turns out,
and the added bonus is longevity it will outlast most modern paper without it costing you a fortune.

Binding is a different matter altogether, there are two ways to do it,
go to a book binders for the best job or learn the art yourself.

But either way Google it and learn how to lay out your pages properly before you start,
to insure you have enough margins to make the finished book work.

If you need a large flat surface to work on then use a framed piece of glass on hinges attached to the wall
and it can then be raised up for use and flattened down later for storage,
suspending it from the ceiling by guide wires is another way but a much bigger challenge..:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
The Hat said:
Andrew
The best paper you can use for your books would be laid paper both text and colour photos look very well on it,
you would have to do a print on it yourself to see how good is turns out,
and the added bonus is longevity it will outlast most modern paper without it costing you a fortune.

Binding is a different matter altogether, there are two ways to do it,
go to a book binders for the best job or learn the art yourself.

But either way Google it and learn how to lay out your pages properly before you start,
to insure you have enough margins to make the finished book work.

If you need a large flat surface to work on then use a framed piece of glass on hinges attached to the wall
and it can then be raised up for use and flattened down later for storage,
suspending it from the ceiling by guide wires is another way but a much bigger challenge..:)
Had a quick look at laid paper via Google, seems its very textured....and there are any number of options. What have you used and had success with?
I am going to look at Amazon Bob P posted on a home binding unit some time ago....

What or who gets suspended from the ceiling? they make movies about that sort of thing and Mum says I cant watch them...!!

Back to a more serious note:

Just fired up the Canon Pro 9000. Drivers were out of date, uploaded current driver....hope that's not a tactical error on my part? Did an Alignment, Nozzle check as part of the start up did not go well, that's when I went and got the new drivers.
Went back to Lightroom and set up to print another test......worse still.......did a mild panic then quite by chance noticed that the printer I selected was the Epson 3880 :he

Got set up with the correct printer... Print Set up for this machine is VERY basic....not a lot to tweek, or am I missing some part I did not find yet?

Made a print of an Arty view of a Ghost Gum tree at Kings Canyon In the Outback.....All I can say is CRIKEY! I have the same printed yesterday on the same paper on the Epson 730 with Rihac ink and another made on the Epson 3880 with Cone pigment Ink.

I can just pick the 730 Artisan print it has some streaky elements in the darks that needs attention. BUT comparing the 9000 and the 3880 is much MUCH harder on the plain paper. Colour wise its VERY acceptable indeed, I am truly surprised at the quality of the tonal range achieved with the OEM inks installed. The Canon actually excels in the darker parts of the print so I am thinking that some more tweeking of the 3880 is required.

BUT!! it is SO SLOWWW, almost a snail pace......However, even that is not going to be a problem. It clunky noisy and has severe tummy rumbles, not a polite guest at all :lol::lol::lol:

Once again you, jtoolman, and Rob have pointed me in a particular direction that I certainly would not have taken alone and it has been GOOD advice that adds value to the enjoyment of this passtime
Many, many thanks,

Cheers,

Andrew

PS for Rob, the prevailing wind went North last night and has stayed that way, helped to push the fires away for now.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Andrew

Most of the laid papers work extremely well regardless of the brand name.

I have used three different brands and mainly they only differ in price,
I do favour the Conqueror brand made by Arjowiggins group..

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok this Baby is different in ALL respects..........My eyes are still watering from spending A$ 30 for a piddly CLI-8PM cart gee whizz that is EXPENSIVE.
Thankfully the refill bits are on their way from PC so I will nit have to do THAT again!!!!!

Just getting down to profiling with the ColorMunki. The Printer interface is nearly as basic as my Canon i800 Multifunction of five years ago. Come to think of it this printer COULD just be of that vintage.
Anyway, the question is how does one disable the printer controlling the colour output? I found a buried option to disable ICM sortware :

In the PRINT screen
PROPERTIES
MAIN - plain paper
PRINT QUALITY - high
COLOR INTENSITY - auto

When I selected manual it brought up a MATCH screen, that has Driver or none

In the PRINT SETUP screen
Page size A4
Portrait
PAGE LAYOUT - normal
PRINT OPTIONS - check - disable the colour profile settings of the application software (seems to be saying Printer to control colour!)

Whereas if I select Colour Intensity and check Manual in Print options I get the check Disable ICM required from the application software....

WHY no plain SIMPLE disable printer controls colour.....suppose that would be too bloomin easy for an IT geek designer.........sheesh!

My guess is with MANUAL and - NONE settings, am I right?

Cheers,
Andrew

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Andrew, Just go to
Main
Print Quality (I use Manual) Click ""Set" & put the slider on the highest setting.
Now to turn off the colour management
Just below Print Quality is Colour/Intensity. Click on "Manual" & then "Set" & another page pops up then you click on the tab up the top called "Matching" then select "None" this turns off any colour management. After I have done all this I click back to the main page of properties called "Quick Set Up" & check the box bottom left that ses "Always Print with current settings" So even though I might pick another paper type in the preferences I think the colour management stays off but always check it for a while so you can trust it.
Now wasn't that easy:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rod we must have been typing at the same time

Thanks for that I will follow yours indetail

again THANKS!

Andrew

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rod
Using your settings gave me a different looking set of patches. Orange in particular was much richer.

The test print I made with my first profile was a tad washed out in the reds, but gave good shadow...not unacceptable just different. Now the print made with the 'new' profile created with your settings is darker in the reds, as good in the shadow detail. Both are lighter than using the Epson profile. On balance the 'new' print with the 9000 and your settings gives a true , cleaner colouration for the ghost gum. Previous prints with various profiles have resulted in having too much red in the bark of the gum.

On balance I am stoked!

Now thanks to getting straight on the menu settings required I am sure I will start to build myself some good profiles.

Appreciated!

Andrew

Added: I just made a print from a file I sent to a Professional print maker last winter. The A2 print cost me $120 on Canson BFK Rivas. I am GOBSMACKED.....the A4 on Plain paper Xerox iGen3 is as good looking has as good colour and tonal graduation AND the surface texture is VERY similar......I am DOUBLE stoked...............what a ripper this little printer is!! :celebrate

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Andrew I've just Googled Xerox iGen3 & couldn't find any places to buy it, where do you get yours from? Also what other plain (cheap) papers have you had good results with?
Today I will do some profiles & test prints with some A3 sketch book paper from Officeworks, I really need to find an affordable matte type paper for the 9500. Thanks mate.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rod
Try Fuji xerox iGen3, I get it from a local stationers. They did a google search for A2 - no luck.
I use 160 - 200 and 210gsm. This is the best I have found. It has performed well with both pigment and dye inks.
Let me know if this leads nowhere and I will chase up a link for you
Cheers,
Andrew