9000 v 9000 MkII

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Is there any compelling reason why NOT to purchase a 9000 if there are no 9000 MkII's on the market. Logic says there would be but is that really the case?

Is refilling any different?

Thanks,

Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I dont have a 9000 (one or two) but what I can see is the mark 2 is just that little bit faster
and is reputed to print B&W a little better also, in a plain shot out its 48/52 there that close.

I use an i9950 which was the fore runner of the pro 9000 its also fast
but doesnt print near as good as the later and better 9000..

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The speed is not going to bother me ( I hope) just cant track down a 9000mkII a the price I will pay for a second single purpose printer.
In order to justify a purchase to myself the second printer has to cost less than a black ink swap on my 3880. Cone has thrift ink and I have a spare set of carts so I COULD run both
on the one machine???? I'd only be printing foe Camera Club once a month. thats if I can get myself a bit more motivated than I am at the moment :lol:

Thanks for the quick feedback, I may just have a crack at the 9000 on eBay then, its cheap enough.

Cheers,

Andrew

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Just so you know what it's worth and what's in the box, I paid $138 after rebate for a 9000 Mark II, including shipping, 50 sheets of 13" x 19" paper ($100), and $85 worth of ink. And don't forget you won't be getting the guarantee. That deal is gone, but there are supposedly a lot of them still hanging around from the last binge of rebates. Plus, they've got deals on the replacement printers too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
Just so you know what it's worth and what's in the box, I paid $138 after rebate for a 9000 Mark II, including shipping, 50 sheets of 13" x 19" paper ($100), and $85 worth of ink. And don't forget you won't be getting the guarantee. That deal is gone, but there are supposedly a lot of them still hanging around from the last binge of rebates. Plus, they've got deals on the replacement printers too.
You should not be mentioning these great deals that you can get in the US on these 9000 printers,
youll only make 3dogs cry and maybe even trash his computer den..:somad :tongue

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Don't know how a man could spend THAT much and tell others about it. I'd be keeping quiet about it...... :hide :lol:

they are a bit MORE than that here, but I forgive you for teasin' me with a deal like dat :(

Cheers,

Andrew

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't remember the exact price, but I think I paid around DKK 800 = USD 143 for a Pixma 4200 when it was introduced.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to check your locations. Yes, we are incredibly fortunate with these printers. I have to say, I like the razor-blade model. ;)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
End of run purchases is the one and only time I purchase third party extended warranty/insurance for any product. I usually buy the three year option because:

a) Under Aussie law warranty has no standing its like a discount offered by the manufacturer or retailer, it has no legal standing at law. Seller is required to apply 'fit for the purpose intended' and 'reasonable life' test. So while the Mark is current and for a 'reasonable' time after Canon have to replace /repair, its your commercial right......no further discussion required. Sometimes difficult to get, but I ASSURE you, get it you WILL.

b) Third party extended that offers new for old, is better than straight replacement 'cos if your now outdated 9000MkII dies within the 3 years you are entitled to the current replacement model........very nice!!

Cheers,

Andrew

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, there are a couple of things wrong with this printer that you might as well know about. First, the U.S. version will not print on CDs. If you like gambling, it's allegedly possible to make it print on CDs with major reconstructive surgery and a lobotomy. EDIT: meaning that my printer isn't quite as much a bargain as it seems.

The second problem is that you have to connect it to a computer somehow, and this may be harder than you think. The only connection is a USB port. NO network connection, and no wireless. It doesn't come with a cable, but in any case, the maximum USB cable length is 5 m. That means that you have to locate this huge printer quite close to the computer you want to use it with. Maybe you can buy a powered hub or repeater, or a USB print server, assuming you can find a good one. You could also move the printer every time you use it, but keep in mind that every time you turn it on, it will use liquid gold to fill the purge pads.

Otherwise it's a good printer, though.