9000 v 9000 MkII

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think you are being very hard on the poor old Pro9000 not to mention most other Canon printers also.

The US 9000 doesnt print CDs but thats easily fixed without the need to employ a neurosurgeon.

All of the good Canon printers only use USB connection which up to now has worked for countless of owners
without any of the difficulties you have mentioned, and I am glad you brought up the liquid gold issue.

Canon printer dont waste ink unlike their Epson cousins do,
it uses some ink to keep its print head in good working order and doesnt need regular potty changing either.. :clap

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
FAR OUT!!! thats supposed to make me feel BETTER!!!!!! I'm glad I did'nt 'P' you off...........yet :)

Seriously tho, non of of that is a problem, thanks to good advice from this forum, as I redesigned and rebuilt this upstairs print / study area I have put power points all over the place, installed surge protection, and have 2 powered hubs.

My Epson 730 is able to do CD printing, as is a Canon that I gave to my wife so thats OK. As to Wi-Fi. I jest, but its getting to the point where there is so much Wi - Fi going on in this room, what with iPhones, iPads, Hotspots, Wireless landlines, a fella is almost scared to make a wrong move for fear that SOME device will spring into action whilst using the cell phone to make a phone call!! or have the phone ring INTERNATIONAL to some far off place when a fella pushes the PRINT button for the printer!!!!!

I Got a Pro 9000, not a MkII, and have ordered the carts and inks etc. from Precision Colors so now we wait and see. I am anticipating a serious explosion tomorrow when I walk in with the Canon under my arm........... " NOT ANOTHER BLOODY PRINTER" what THAT one for?? such is life...all thrills and spills........mostly my blood :(

Cheers,

Andrew

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
The 9000s & 9500 sold down here all come with the CD printing hardware & software which is one bright spot when we pay triple the price for the printer than you do in the States.
I find having to use a USB cable a non issue my printers have to be within reach of my computer chair as I hate exercise.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
All good for you guys, but I'm totally out of space close to the computer, so where I have to locate this thing matters a whole lot to me. For what it's worth, the Pro-1, Pro-10 and Pro-100 all have an ethernet port. If I could choose again I would prefer one of those. Just thought 3dogs should also be reminded of the drawbacks and let him decide if they matter to him. Glad to hear it doesn't guzzle ink.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
All good for you guys, but I'm totally out of space close to the computer, so where I have to locate this thing matters a whole lot to me. For what it's worth, the Pro-1, Pro-10 and Pro-100 all have an ethernet port. If I could choose again I would prefer one of those. Just thought 3dogs should also be reminded of the drawbacks and let him decide if they matter to him. Glad to hear it doesn't guzzle ink.
As stated in an earlier post there is so much wireless going on up here already I got ringing in my EARS :lol::lol:

I started out using Canon printers as I have Canon cameras. Having to work overtime in my day job just to afford to buy OEM inks and paper is not my idea of making the best of a persons time! Finding this forum and the regulars pretty soon had me looking at refilling. The Canon Pro 1 appeared to be a dream machine, so I ordered one. Reading posts by The Hat convinced me that Canon was NOT the way to go for me. Final nail in the coffin is the available format size for Art papers, my main game.

Enter Cone K3 as an idea, and more research had me (finally) get motivated and bought a 3880. Took the plunge and bought Cone inks and carts and refilled as you will see from other posts.

Refilling Epson is just like natural for me and I have a vast choice of models to choose from........(well for the time being??) on the other hand refilling Canons has come across as limited and far more tedious.......However, as it seems that there are a bunch of folks that are experts on the 9000 I am about to find out I am assured, (not reassured) that it is an EASY process....we will see!

The KEY in this whole thing is refillables, I now don't have to CARE how much ink is used or wasted, because it costs me next to nothing and the waste tank on the 3880 can be reset or replaced.

Back to Canon Pro 1 and the others in this line up......A lazy person like me would be stuck with OEM ink for any of those printers AND being a true child of the 60's no flamin' printer manufacturer is going to tell me what size I can print on the paper I choose to use and then have me wag my silly tail and reward him by purchasing one of his printers. I'd rather send him the phone number For the Marines at Fort Worth so he can go tell them......

Cheers,

Andrew

Phew!...............THAT'S better out than in!!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
3dogs said:
As stated in an earlier post there is so much wireless going on up here already I got ringing in my EARS :lol::lol:
Just to make sure you know, you don't really need wireless to get distance. 100 m is no problem for an ethernet connection, but 15 m is the limit for a USB cable. 15 m doesn't get you very far when you have to go up and down walls and around corners.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One of my printers is positioned less than 2 metres behind me and my cable length consisting of (5 hub, 5 hub, 3 hub, and then 5) which is over 18 metres.
I can however use Ethernet (Cat 5) cable but choose not to, I much prefer USB..:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
One of my printers is positioned less than 2 metres behind me and my cable length consisting of (5 hub, 5 hub, 3 hub, and then 5) which is over 18 metres.
I can however use Ethernet (Cat 5) cable but choose not to, I much prefer USB..:)
My workspace is around 2.7m x 3m in a room that is 5m x 6m. I have one corner so have two walls. Back wall is printer table and storage for Picture framing gear, tripods and anything tall and narrow. The second wall has all bookcases. The computers and screens are arranged on an ' L ' shaped desk with the towers under. Thus I sit in the middle with all this gear around. The rest of the outer walls are taken up with storage cabinets and book cases.

It is indeed amazing just how just how much cable that has to be used as you say keeping things neat and tidy going around corners, as well as the ups and downs, chews up heaps of cable and requires the use multiple hubs. I am fortunate to have plenty of storage space in cabinets, tho I'm still not satisfied with my paper storage. I have a bit of A2, and its a pain to store flat. Sure it would be MUCH neater to have wireless. I did start out that way but gave up. Keyboards and tablets are fine, printers and Internet, have for me, performed better hard wired, I don't know exactly why but I gave up on it anyhow.

My first project is printing multiple books. For example we have been on the farm 10 years now and have recorded the progress of change and development. One of the 'books' will make a pictorial record of that. My choice is to orient in landscape, but its proving more than difficult to source the binders. Covers are easy I can print quite thick and stiff card on the 3880.

The plain laser printing Fuji-Xerox paper I will be using for this project is available A4,A3 and A2 and that is in reams and that is easy to store and really cheap to use. How long it will last is another thing, I am in hopes that stored flat and in book form I will get many years from them..........but who really knows till one tries.
Its the good expensive stuff that needs to be handled with care that is being a bit more difficult to get sorted. It really needs an old style office map/drawing table with multiple large drawers below. The footprint for such a table just does not fit the room plan, so for now that remains unresolved.

I pick up the Canon Pro 9000 this afternoon, we have bushfires all around us so there is every chance we may have to evacuate in the next couple of days. Picking what goes and what stays is a worry....

Cheers for now,

Andrew

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Good luck with the fires & the new printer Andrew.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Rod, the weather is with us for a change. The close fires are 9km away to our South and there is next to no wind today, just a light variable breeze swinging through all points of the compass.
The conditions will give fire crews a chance to stop the advance of the burning by containment within fire breaks. There is little hope of getting any fires out altogether in these dry conditions.

We have been getting very strong Southerlies till yesterday so spotting forward over 9km is two small hops away!! Our real threat is not being fully blacked out by the time the next strong blow comes
as we are on the edge of a Forest Reserve and the fires are on tracks (suspicious) deep on the southern end near the tiny town of Blackwood. As you will know a stump can smoulder for weeks
underground and only flare up in the right (wrong) conditions.

I have not heard back from the fella selling the 9000 yet, he is out of town till 6.00pm. It's 2hours each way and I have an early start in the morning.........

Cheers

Andrew