Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
It was that link to TechCrunch that Rob posted that started the discussion, where the company "saved $100k by dropping IE". But instead of just warning people IE probably won't work, I think the article reads more like the company "lost thousands, if not millions of potential customers by outright blocking users of old systems instead of letting them see the site and explaining functionality issues with older browsers". If I saw a news article on the company at work, didn't have a choice in browsers, and saw a "Sorry, you can't see our website because you won't experience our artistic vision properly (nevermind that it will still look different on phones/tablets/different screen resolutions)" then I wouldn't bother saving it to look at at home. There's a difference between not supporting older browsers and attempting to force users into doing what you want them to do. The last I checked, DeviantArt took this to an extreme: they kept a list of the latest stable browser releases and if you were not on the very latest one, the navigation bar would be blocked off!

But I highly doubt Rob would actually do anything like that. I was just saying it doesn't seem like a good idea.

My favorite has always been vBulletin because of the "Show Printable Version", which makes it easier to read long or old threads all at once, since it usually also gives you the option to "show (a large amount of) posts from this thread" (sometimes the admin sets it to a low number though :( ). It also turns off icons and signatures. This forum doesn't usually end up with threads with 50 pages though, so I won't miss it that much if the new software doesn't have a similar option. Also I've never had a problem not being able to catch up here even though it also marks all posts read when you leave. But I'm sure it will get busier and busier and eventually I'd want to see it not mark posts read between visits, if the option is possible.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
PeterBJ said:
I agree with Fenrir Enterprises and fotofreek that IE8 users should not be excluded, but given the advice that their browser may not work properly, and a list of recommended browsers should be given. I think there is no reason to spend time and money to make the forum software totally compatible with IE8.

One thing I particularly like with this forum is that guests can see everything; to participate in the discussions you will of course have to sign up or log in. There are other forums that do not allow guests to see links, I think that policy is annoying and not the proper way of getting new members, so I hope the guest friendly policy will also be applied to the new forum.
We definitely won't intentionally exclude IE 8 users, but we also won't be doing a lot of development to fully support browsers over 5 years old.

Regarding access: The reason I got into the forum business is that I'm a HUGE proponent of social knowledge and the "one to many" helping benefit from forums. That being the case, I want as much info as possible to be in the forum and publicly accessible. Heck, whenever someone asks me for topic specific advice over private message I always direct them to post their question publicly so others can help and learn.

The Hat said:
I think this idea of making the new Nifty site run some if not all of the old browsers is not a good idea at all and totally unnecessary regarding IE8 anyway,
just leave the current Nifty-Stuff forum open for a while along side the new one to allow the members to convert over.
We unfortunately need to do a full cut-over to the new site and can't leave the old one running / open. The databases are completely different and in order for the 301 URL redirects to function the old site will need to be taken offline.

Again, the site should function fine on almost every browser. We also invite all users to test the software at www.RemodelForums.com If you can browse / use that site, you'll have no problems once we convert this site.

websnail got the points spot on with his comments. Sorry if I led things off topic with my link to that article. I was just using that as an example of how much engineers hate supporting IE. I personally think everyone should abandon all versions of IE and use Chrome or Firefox.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have never used anything other than IE ever to browse on the internet and to date
only had one problem with it and that was caused by a Postscript font error.

So Rob you can inform and congratulate your engineers that IE is working great so far
and you can also give them a well done from me.. :thumbsup

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks! I just pay the bills. :D

BTW, do you mean the current software is "working great so far" or the new one (that is only live on www.RemodelForums.com )?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Using iPad with Safari to browse more regularly, the Remodel site is too wide (with the iPad in landscape mode) which makes for some awkward scrolling at times. It can scroll "free form" if I don't drag straight up/down. I didn't create a profile so don't know if it will change if I did. I can live with it, I guess, but thought I would mention it.

I only visit a handful of forums but that's the only one that has that "issue."

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
DOH, good point about remodel. I need to change the theme to be "responsive"... I forgot it wasn't set to respond to mobile. I'll fix that and ask you guys test again.

In the interim, try this site: http://www.woodworkingboards.com/

You don't have to sign up... just look at it on your mobile device (or just take your browser window and make it skinny... you'll see it dynamically adjust to fit your screen)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nifty-stuff.com said:

BTW, do you mean the current software is "working great so far" or the new one (that is only live on www.RemodelForums.com )?
I got no problems with either therere both working fine for me..
Also this site works the same as the others, no problems to report. http://www.woodworkingboards.com
three out of three.. :thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Allow me an off-topic question.

nifty-stuff.com wrote:
Will clicking the ads generate an income helping to run the forum? If so I will gladly click the ads and simulate an interest by checking out some products.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
PeterBJ said:
Will clicking the ads generate an income helping to run the forum? If so I will gladly click the ads and simulate an interest by checking out some products.
I would gladly donate if it was possible. Maybe a little "Contribute to maintenance costs" button?