Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
1. Give folks a choice of a couple of colour schemes maybe?
Remember accessibility for those with poor eyesight a good contrast helps. Quite a few older folk are interested in this topic so be good to cater to that in at least one theme.

2. Just be sure to sort out a proper redirect...
If you could it would be brilliant if the old urls 301'd to the new location. If not it's going to lose people being linked in to useful topics they don't know how to find. Frankly that would drive me nuts so I'd think hard about this before there's no way back.

Just a few thoughts

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have bookmarked some threads and posts that I think have very valuable information. I would like these bookmarks to still work with the new system.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The colour schemes are usually down to ones own personal choice, I stuck with the default Lithium scheme
because it worked for me and I didnt see any reason to change it.

Would you not at least try and keep the best name on the web for printer problems.
Like:- www. Nifty-PrinterKnowledge.com/forum

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The Hat said:
Would you not at least try and keep the best name on the web for printer problems.
Like:- www. Nifty-PrinterKnowledge.com/forum
+1

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Great feedback, thanks guys!

websnail & PeterBJ: We've created and tested an automatic 301 redirect script that we'd run here and then redirect all links, bookmarks, etc. from topics, individual posts, and even users to the new domain. It's actually pretty amazing how seamlessly the tests have been working!

The Hat / Tudor, thanks for the nice thoughts, but that domain is way too long and I also have come to be very regretful that I ever created this site url with a dash in it. ;)

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
It doesn't have to include the dash, it could be just NiftyPrinterKnowledge or NiftyPrinters . The 2.81% chance that you'll change the name of the domain is very low, but it would be nice to still login to nifty after the conversion.
What's important is the community that we have here, the name choice should be more SEO than nostalgia.

Speaking of SEO, I bet that nifty-stuff got a good reputation over the last 9 years and when the question "how should I solve this printing problem?" is asked it gets the "go to nifty, they'll help you!" answer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
It doesn't have to include the dash, it could be just NiftyPrinterKnowledge or NiftyPrinters . The 2.81% chance that you'll change the name of the domain is very low, but it would be nice to still login to nifty after the conversion.
What's important is the community that we have here, the name choice should be more SEO than nostalgia.

Speaking of SEO, I bet that nifty-stuff got a good reputation over the last 9 years and when the question "how should I solve this printing problem?" is asked it gets the "go to nifty, they'll help you!" answer.
My sentiments exactly. :thumbsup
IF WE CAN SOLVE PRINTER PROBLEMS AND YOUR PRINTERS IN A JAM..
Who are you going to Call.??? NIFTYPRINTERS.COM :clap

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Good points, and exactly some of the reasons why it's taken 9 years to make this very tricky decision.

The members are definitely the core of the community and create the fantastic demeanor tone we have here. As long as that remains intact we should be fine regardless of the URL / domain name.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
how long can you maintain a link from a participant accessing Nifty and being redirected to a new name? That may solve the nifty issue.