Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
6) Threaded "conversations" (PM's) that make it way easier to follow a conversation between two (or more) people.
Rob.

Does this mean that correspondence in PMs between two members will not be private ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pharmacist said:
What about upload limit for pictures ? it is now limited to just 20 MB, for me far too low. Writing reviews is quite crippling to me and reducing jpg size als reduces quality significantly in order to save precious upload space.
EDIT: Good grief but I'm dense... When I originally responded I was thinking 20MB per image and now I realise that's the limit for all images.

I think I'll go and find a suitable wall to smack my head against... Sorry.. :/ :rolleyes:

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The Hat said:
fotofreek said:
Rob - One quirk that I would like to see fixed if the new software permits it. After posting a reply message and submitting it you can not use the "back" button to return to the other new posts. I've had to click on "index" and then the new messages link top right. Is that the forum software or is it my browser?
Thats ditto for me also for as longs as I can remember, it is a pain to have to return to index. :barnie
I use Explorer..
I use firefox and just open new posts in new tabs (middle click on the mouse or right click and "open in new tab" - this works in IE too). This way I keep the "new posts" tab opened and there is no need for "back" button.

Is there a way to make a "open all new posts in new tabs" button?

Maybe an increase in file size and upload space limit is needed for some users (like pharmacist). Isn't there a way to modify just their stats, if not all?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
The Hat said:
fotofreek said:
Rob - One quirk that I would like to see fixed if the new software permits it. After posting a reply message and submitting it you can not use the "back" button to return to the other new posts. I've had to click on "index" and then the new messages link top right. Is that the forum software or is it my browser?
Thats ditto for me also for as longs as I can remember, it is a pain to have to return to index. :barnie
I use Explorer..
I use firefox and just open new posts in new tabs (middle click on the mouse or right click and "open in new tab" - this works in IE too). This way I keep the "new posts" tab opened and there is no need for "back" button.

Maybe an increase in file size and upload space limit is needed for some users (like pharmacist). Isn't there a way to modify just their stats, if not all?
When you reply to a post and then hit the submit button you end up back at the post you have just replied too
and the only way to get out of there is to hit the word Index (Top left)

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
As I said, I always open a new tab for a specific thread, so when I'm done with the reply... I close that tab. Never tried going back. I will now.

L.E. After I hit the "submit" button it sends me to the last post in the thread (mine). If I hit the "back" button I get to the part where I wrote the post, then to the page I was before that, etc. No problem here.I am using Firefox 17.0.9.

Just tried that with Internet Explorer 10.0.9 and you have to double-click the "back" button the first time, then it goes back normally.

Or maybe I don't understand the problem...

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm using internet explorer 8. Still with XP, and I've tried to update my version of explorer but the update request is rejected. Newer versions must be only for newer windows versions.

UPDATE: I used this post to test the double click suggestion. It still wants to lock me into this thread. After a few double clicks it sometimes takes me back to the list of new posts. It doesn't seem to work uniformly. Easier to click on the index and them click on the top right "new post" link to get back to the list of new posts. By the time I'd open a new tab and work back and forth I would as well just do what I've been doing all along.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
TheHat & fotofreek : I think I see what you mean. You're both talking about what happens here. Have you tried the other site yet? I just tried and after a post I was able to use the back button without a problem there. If not, go ahead and register. Otherwise you can wait for the conversion.

pharmacist, the plan is to allow unlimited image uploads! :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks for all the great questions and feedback!!!

The Hat said:
6) Threaded "conversations" (PM's) that make it way easier to follow a conversation between two (or more) people.
Does this mean that correspondence in PMs between two members will not be private ?
They will remain private, but you can add additional people to a single private conversation if you want.

Tudor said:
I think this can be set at the browser level. All on-site links will open in the same tab, but external links will open in a new tab.

Tudor said:
This is actually something we might do too. Either way, we definintely want to encourage our users to upload lots of pics and the new system will make that easier... plus removing the space limits should help too!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nifty-stuff.com said:
pharmacist, the plan is to allow unlimited image uploads! :)
I've updated my earlier reply as I realised I had a complete brain fart moment :rolleyes:

That said, "unlimited" is a word to use with caution... Perhaps set a high limit of say 250MB for now and examine the options available to extend that for exceptions?

Nitpickers ahoy! ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok guys, a few other housekeeping items:

1) Site skin / theme / colors: We can stick with the color scheme we have here or go with something different. Any thoughts on this?

2) Site URL / Name: It's 9 years overdue, but we're going to do a site name / URL change-up. See more info here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9096