Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
PeterBJ said:
Will clicking the ads generate an income helping to run the forum? If so I will gladly click the ads and simulate an interest by checking out some products.
Tudor said:
I would gladly donate if it was possible. Maybe a little "Contribute to maintenance costs" button?
Wow guys, thanks for the nice offers!

Peter, yes, most of the ads are click based advertising, but we definitely wouldn't want people to click ads unless they are truly interested in the products or services. Of course, we'd LOVE to have direct advertisers for the site vs. going through Google Adsense (middleman). Hopefully as the site grows we can get more direct and relevant advertising on the site.

Tudor, I've never liked the "donation" model for websites. I believe a site should be self-sufficient with the product or service it offers. With that said, on my large site BYC we have a special usergroup setup so members can pay to upgrade their membership for added benefits... for example a completely ad-free experience. I'm toying with the idea of doing something similar once we move the site to the new platform.

I'll say this: The BEST contributions you, or anybody can make that would help me out:

1) Continue posting great information and topics! Content is king on the internet
2) Once we get an "articles" system setup, help us create and organize really cool / fun information
3) Be welcoming to new members and friendly to current ones
4) Link to the site (especially the new URL once it is up) from blogs, social media, etc.
5) Continue having a great time with us sharing and learning!

Again guys, thanks for the great ideas, comments, and support!!! I'm excited about the opportunities ahead with the new software and taking the site to a new level!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey everyone!

I'm a bit behind schedule, but things are progressing very nicely. Hopefully we'll be doing the conversion tomorrow (Thursday 10/17) night if all goes according to plan.

The only thing anybody needs to "worry" about is that they know their passwords, but even then, in a worst-case scenario you can always request a new password once we're on the new system.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I had a look on The EasyGarden site to see what The Hat was doing in his garden, but nothing found :)

A great set of sites, hope our new one works as well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks Emulator! There will be a slight learning curve, but nothing that our smart members can't handle.

I'm very confident that once the dust settles that everyone will be much happier with new platform!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Good luck with it Rob... Doubtless there will be some "interesting" issues you hadn't found but I'm sure you'll figure stuff out.

I shall try to hold the baying mob (completely 3d printed pitchforks, etc) from your door as long as possible ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator said:
I had a look on The EasyGarden site to see what The Hat was doing in his garden, but nothing found :)

A great set of sites, hope our new one works as well.
You didnt look hard enough Emulator ! :ep
I was very busy burying a few of my duff printers, Composting.. :lol:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It's 3:16 AM and I should go to bed, but this is just TOO exciting!

One thing I've spent about 3 hours on today is the new "trophies" system. Right now members are only really "recognized" by when they registered and how many posts they make <cough> The Hat </cough> :D

Well, on the new system we'll be recognizing milestones and giving "trophies" for stuff like:

Different post count levels
How long you've been registered
Do you have an avatar?
How many "likes" to your posts have you received
How many "likes" have you given to other members?
... and other cool stuff!

The goal is to encourage specific engagement / behavior and recognize the members that exceed in these areas.

(I'm especially interested in seeing how well the "likes" system works and it it will be helpful in bubbling up the best topics and posts)

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear all the posts are surviving. There is precious stuff here for those that like to fiddle with our printers. Will have to change old habits. When am fiddling or day dreaming about my printers no longer will it be google "nifty inkjet" for that link to find that answer. Have been impressed with the uptime and the lack of glitches with the website over the years. See you all in the new forum of PrinterKnowledge

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just hope I can find my way there without too much trouble.:old

I wonder how long will it take to get to the planet PrinterKnowledge
and will it be as good and as inviting as this humble place is, was ! :hugs

I do hope so, I have never travelled at light speed before, does it hurt ! :hu

Nifty

Printer VIP