Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
An update on sealing the filling hole on Canon CLI-8 and CLI-42 cartridges if you have already prepared the hole left after removing the plastic ball from an OEM cartridge using a drill bit as per the instructions on Precision Colors website ie. using a drill bit to clean the hole out slightly larger so that the plugs fit properly.
I've found that in up to 20% of my cartridges modified by this method there was an imperfect seal around the plug which of course allows ink to drip from the delivery nozzle when the orange cartridge cap is removed. I don't know whether this is caused by the drill bit not being sharp enough or some other factor but this is what happened in my case.

My standard remedy for this seemed risky at the time but after over three years now and many refills of my Pro100 cartridges I'm confident that applying a ring of PVC wood glue (the water based one with thick consistency) around the plug rim after it is inserted such reliable method that I've been using it for all of my cartridges. I've never had a blocked nozzle or imperfect nozzle check during that time - and long may that state of affairs continue.
The PVA wood glue adheres on a the damp surface around the plug and does not seem to enter the filing hole. I take the trouble to wipe off around the plug with a tissue before applying the glue just in case the glue's consistency is altered by any surplus ink and when refiling time comes around the dried glue seal easily separates from the plastic cart and plug.
As a precaution (against micro-organism growth in the ink) I always store my spare cartridges and inks in a refrigerator but I don't know whether refrigeration is a factor when it comes to cartridge sealing issues.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I've never had a blocked nozzle or imperfect nozzle check during that time - and long may that state of affairs continue.
Don't fix what ain't broke!

:thumbsup

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
An update on sealing the filling hole on Canon CLI-8 and CLI-42 cartridges if you have already prepared the hole left after removing the plastic ball from an OEM cartridge using a drill bit as per the instructions on Precision Colors website ie. using a drill bit to clean the hole out slightly larger so that the plugs fit properly.
I've found that in up to 20% of my cartridges modified by this method there was an imperfect seal around the plug which of course allows ink to drip from the delivery nozzle when the orange cartridge cap is removed. I don't know whether this is caused by the drill bit not being sharp enough or some other factor but this is what happened in my case.

My standard remedy for this seemed risky at the time but after over three years now and many refills of my Pro100 cartridges I'm confident that applying a ring of PVC wood glue (the water based one with thick consistency) around the plug rim after it is inserted such reliable method that I've been using it for all of my cartridges. I've never had a blocked nozzle or imperfect nozzle check during that time - and long may that state of affairs continue.
The PVA wood glue adheres on a the damp surface around the plug and does not seem to enter the filing hole. I take the trouble to wipe off around the plug with a tissue before applying the glue just in case the glue's consistency is altered by any surplus ink and when refiling time comes around the dried glue seal easily separates from the plastic cart and plug.
As a precaution (against micro-organism growth in the ink) I always store my spare cartridges and inks in a refrigerator but I don't know whether refrigeration is a factor when it comes to cartridge sealing issues.
The reason you are getting leaks is that it is likely that the drill bit is either oversized it should be exactly 5/32" or you damage the seat at the bottom of the hole when removing the ball. If the bottom of the hole is distorted or nicked deeper than a few thou, the plug will be unable to conform to a sharp indentation. You are NOT to pry the ball out as is shown on videos, this is plain wrong. You should be using a screw eye hook to thread into the ball and then pull it out.
I can attest that we have modified over 20,000 carts over the years and the seats are never damaged when using first line drill bits of the correct size. Never purchase discounted tools and drill bits for anything. You can never perform quality work when using poor tools you'll end up damaging the item you are working on. I learnt this the hard way over 50 years ago.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks for that information on cartridge modification Mike.
No criticism of your recommended method was intended.
I used an existing 5/32 inch Patience and Nicholson brand drill bit that I had in stock and it may have been resharpened before I simply don't know. The hole is not oversized because the plug is difficult to push down to meet the cartridge casing. Because of my location I can't just drive a few Kms to get another drill bit as New Zealand converted to metric many decades ago and my nearest supplier is 50 km away. I'll probably get a brand new P&N bit and try it to see if I get a cleaner cut hole for better sealing on suspect carts.
The carts I have all had the ball removed by using the screw eye hook you supplied so probably no problem there.
Now that my carts are already modified the remedy I'm using will serve the purpose and has proved reliable over several years. I was hoping that anyone who has had a similar problem may be able to benefit.