You Wants Videos, We Gots Videos

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
On a bit of a roll here with video guides so here's a few new ones in case anyone is interested as they cover a few of the common topics that crop up with refilling, purging, etc...

I've also shot video for a few other guides, but need to edit them before I release, so expect a few more before Christmas too :)

A hat tip to my colleague Kirsty who isn't on here (yet) but who has been helping me learn to delegate (read: let go, one fingernail at a time a' la cartoon cliff hanger style ;)) and freed up my limited time to research, rewrite guides, etc.. It's making a huge difference...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Removing the refill ball from the OEM cartridges is an accident waiting to happen, the more cartridges that your printer has the bigger the lightly hood of it happening that bit sooner.:confused:

I found it much easier and safer to just drill a 2mm hole beside the ball and save all that cussing when the knife slips..;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm wit me brother uncle The Hat on this. I can already hear the replies, uncle, worse than top-fill vs German they'll be. Who'd have thought a bunch of guys would be so eager to remove their balls? :hide

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Removing the refill ball from the OEM cartridges is an accident waiting to happen, the more cartridges that your printer has the bigger the lightly hood of it happening that bit sooner.:confused:
Well, considering the accident prone types who can't help themselves when faced with scissors or a butter knife I'll agree it's not ideal.

However, as a single approach it works. Granted I can always add in some of the other approaches but frankly it's going to be something where opinions differ depending on what they have available.

Drilling through the ball works but if you choose that route you need to use hot glue to seal it shut or aluminium tape every time you want to refill.

Drilling out the hole or creating a different one for the silicon plugs means you need the right drill bit, can drill a clean hole, etc... It's also easy to drill in the wrong place so you break the seal over the original fill ball so the darned thing leaks anyway.

Ditto the whole thing with the picture screw.. The ball often ends up swivelling in the socket so even that gets to be "fun".

There's no "perfect" solution, just different ones with variations in terms of difficulty, limitations and the like.

Anyway, got to start somewhere.. So, now that you lot have gotten yourself past the whole snickering about removing your "balls" you might want to say "Bloomin' eck mister... not bad work", etc... Not that I'm digging for compliments or ought! ;)

I found it much easier and safer to just drill a 2mm hole beside the ball and save all that cussing when the knife slips..;)
Would that cussing be in a much higher pitch then Bri? ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... and there's a couple of new ones on this page including sealing carts for storage and flushing...

The latter has just made me cringe through an "Erm"-fest so I'll be re-shooting and re-editing that in due course... And before anyone jumps on the "But it's hardly worth bothering" bandwagon, that's a given but I get asked this a LOT so consider it an FAQ for those who just have to ask anyway.

So, finally got a series of videos to cover all bar the PGI-9 cartridge design so I'm reasonably pleased that the PGI-9 refilling side of things is covered for those who perhaps are less up to speed on the whole ins and outs for the Pro-9500.

http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/146/

Please feel free to submit your comments, nit-picks to the circular file receptacle on your floor ;) .. or PM if you really want to :p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi websnail,

I taught your little series of video clips were quite good and can give them a positive rating, BUT I have to tell you that it’s bloody hard to hear you in some parts of them; you may need to use a mike head-setup. :eek:

You can always count on me to give it to you straight in the….. ;)

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Did you practice on a yellow cart first with the refill ball removal video?
:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have to tell you that it’s hard to hear you in some parts of them; you may need to use a mike head-setup. :eek:
If my minicam allowed an external mic input I'd certainly be using one but unfortunately it doesn't.

Take your point though. At some point I'll have to learn how to marry up a separate audio input with the video stream and remove a lot of the external noise like the traffic you can hear (with the odd emergency vehicle siren) going past in the background.

Oh, and I think most of the low volume versions are the earlier video versions. I'll see about tightening them up...

You can always count on me to give it to you straight in the….. ;)
Thanks... I think!? :p