Yes - the dreaded Magenta problem on Canon Pixma Pro-100, Lightroom, Mac

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You can save your scans as JPG's instead it TIF's so they are not as large. Then use the "Upload a File" button (next to "Post Reply") to add the images from your hard drive to your post.

Your nozzle check looks good to me compared to what I see on the internet. Please crop the nozzle check scan in the future.

The evaluation images that The Hat provided does show obvious color shift in the Reds/Oranges.

I have scanned on an uncalibrated Epson V600 using Image Capture
I am not sure what "uncalibrated" means in the scope of things. If the scanned image we see fairly represents what you see in the printed hard copy then it is not much of a factor in helping you resolve your questions.

At this point, others more familiar with your hardware/software will need to help. If I come across something I will report. Good luck.

Shash Chatterjee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-100
You can save your scans as JPG's instead it TIF's so they are not as large. Then use the "Upload a File" button (next to "Post Reply") to add the images from your hard drive to your post.
Understood - attaching JPGs here. The test image itself I could not attach because even compressed at 3MB, it was too big to attached. I have left that one on DropBox.

Your nozzle check looks good to me compared to what I see on the internet. Please crop the nozzle check scan in the future.
I cropped and saved in DropBox, attached here as well.

I am not sure what "uncalibrated" means in the scope of things. If the scanned image we see fairly represents what you see in the printed hard copy then it is not much of a factor in helping you resolve your questions.
Uncalibrated in the sense that I do not have a particular/special ICC profile for the scanner, just whatever default the system uses. I mentioned that because I am a complete novice when it comes to color management and what fidelity is needed in this forum. But, the scan does look similar to what I see on screen.....

At this point, others more familiar with your hardware/software will need to help. If I come across something I will report. Good luck.
Fingers crossed! Thank you!
SS-Test 1 Quality and Media 2018-02-17 07.23.20.jpg
SS-Test 1 Print Settings 2018-02-17 07.13.23.jpg
SS-Test 1 Color Matching 2018-02-17 07.23.35.jpg
SS-Test 1 Assign Profile 2018-02-17 07.11.19.jpg
SS-Color Settings 2018-02-17 07.10.03.jpg
Scan-Nozzle Check.jpg
SS-Test 1 Quality and Media 2018-02-17 07.23.20.jpg SS-Test 1 Print Settings 2018-02-17 07.13.23.jpg SS-Test 1 Color Matching 2018-02-17 07.23.35.jpg SS-Test 1 Assign Profile 2018-02-17 07.11.19.jpg SS-Color Settings 2018-02-17 07.10.03.jpg Scan-Nozzle Check.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Shash Chatterjee,

Had I known you were going to continue to post I would not have replied to your PM...
This is quickly becoming a merry-go-round and a joke... :somad

Shash Chatterjee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-100
@Shash Chatterjee,

Had I known you were going to continue to post I would not have replied to your PM...
This is quickly becoming a merry-go-round and a joke... :somad

Hello @The Hat. Sorry, I have no intention on making you upset. I think I might have missed something, that is irritating you. If you will continue to help me, and I hope you do, please clarify whether I should continue on the PM thread, or on this thread, and I will act accordingly. By the way, the post above was before you sent the PM, and I have just read your PM as well as this reply.

For now, I will read the PM carefully, then only reply on either after I hear back on your preference.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Blame me. I asked Shash to redirect all further posting to his original thread so all may benefit. :frow

Shash Chatterjee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-100
Blame me. I asked Shash to redirect all further posting to his original thread so all may benefit. :frow
Ha-ha, no issues, @stratman and @The Hat, I truly appreciate the help.

With the discussion here, and the last PM from @The Hat, I have been able to resolve my problem. The hint to assign the sRGB profile, led me to think about the working profile. If I used the sRGB display profile, then from Photoshop I was able to get extremely similar color between "Printer Manages Color" and Photoshop Manages Color/Printer+Paper profile. That led me to suspect my display calibration and profile. I recalibrated my monitor with D65/80 cd/m2. With this new profile, I can print from Photoshop and Lightroom with applications managing color, and the print is now much closer to my expectations (a bit darker, and bit less contrast, as is expected of reflective media). But this is good enough for where I wanted to be, though I have used a bunch of ink in the process :).

By the way, this article was also useful to understand how to use the test image. One issue I had was that assigning sRGB profile to the test image in PhotoShop made it look quite dull, while opening it in LightRoom made it very vibrant. Of course, LightRoom is set to use ProPhotoRGB as the (unchangeable) working space, while I was using sRGB as the working space and assigned profile in PhotoShop. According to this article, the test image was designed for ProPhotoRGB, so when I assigned ProPhotoRGB profile in PhotoShop, PhotoShop and LightRoom matched.

Thanks again for the help, I am a happy camper.

Last edited:

Shash Chatterjee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-100
Congratulations on getting results you like. Remember to return to default printer management settings in the future if you stray too far when experimenting. Also, much to learn from the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA
Good reminder - will keep that in mind for sure. I had watched a bunch of jtoolman videos when I first got the Pro-100, great wealth of info there. Thank you!