Yellow color too dark/orange on ET-2750

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would bank the original OP can't get true yellow because Epson won't let him print yellow.
I used to print CYMK colours onto plain paper, but I only used Canon printers and their own print drivers, using Adobe Illustrator and it worked as near as possible, (Win XP) but you need to stay away from PhotoShop because it converts the colours back to RGB to send to the printer and they then become less accrete..

Colour management is not something than can be just picked up and it is far more difficult when using a CYMK inkjet printer, at least with Epson you have the option of using a RIP, but can’t with a Canon, nor will they print Postscript or 16 bit colour..

P.S. Printing through PDF can be another big mine field..

colour.JPG
You get little difference using a profile on plain paper..

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
yes, it's all about color management , the color space you want to work in, the paper you are using and a matching profile and a rendering scheme which matches our intentions, and various software may be more or less supporting all of it. And be aware that inks are not perfect CMY colors like C=255 MY = 0 , so printing numerically 'clean' colors may require the driver together with the profile to make some corrections to actual ink colors which is exactly the job of the profile - within further restrictions.

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G570, EPSON L800/L3150
Hi all,

I just bought an Epson ET-2750, and was initially impressed with the ease of use and trouble free setup. But I soon noticed something was weird with the colors in my prints, especially on photos. I know it is not a photo printer, but still. After a lot of tinkering with settings and test prints, I have come to the conclusion that it is the yellow color which is the cause of the problems. The yellow color is not bright/saturated enough in my opinion, causing the blue color to dominate all photos.

See attached photo to see the difference of some yellow/green colors on screen and print. The photo doesnt do it full justice, but it is close enough. You can see the color on the monitor is both brighter and more vibrant than on the print, and it gets worse the closer to green we come. I have tested the colors on several monitors and my iPhone, and it looks great on all screens, but it sucks on the print.

Now, is this a common/expected thing on printers in this price range? Or is there something wrong with my printer or my settings?

I would love to see anyone else printing the same colors and showing the print, especially on the ET-2750!

View attachment 11990
When I recently purge the old EPSON TX430W(got some channel jam), I noticed the #FFFF00 should be really pure Y ink printing.
(I use MS paint, since it's an application without color management support)
The 8 colors purge files from internet like marruttusa , the 4 colors version somehow select VM instead M.

So, I try to verify it on ET-2750 driver & check the printer spool raw file to confirm it with different paper type/color setting. (I can 100% sure, since I crop to only one color block for print, and decode the spool file. Seem what ink color called, only 1 ink for each color)
After some experiment & verify.
Summary for ET-2750
1. No matter what paper type, the keypoint was set as no color management.
2. Cyan - #00ffff , Magenta - #ff00ff, Yellow - #ffff00 could get pure ink color prints if no colormanagement enabled on software & printer driver.
noICC.jpg

Seems like I am off the topic too far. Not for talking about the color.
Just trying to say what I observed about the method to print single color C/M/Y ink directly besides the build-in nozzle check.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I must admit that I'm lost and don't know anymore what it is all about in this thread - printing a purge file does not necessarily prints colorimetrically correct colors , it justs prints with max throughput of the ink channels. Yellows printed with the same driver settings will look different on different papers - coated/uncoated - matte - glossy so which yellow are we talking about - aiming for ? This thread is closed for me.

Purge CMYK.png

allafter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 2720
I have The EPSON ET-2720. I found this forum because I also cannot get true yellow from my printer.

TLDR: Manufactures make junk drivers for their inkjet printers and won't let you print true colors.

The long:
I was trying to print CMYK documents as I make vector artwork, which is awesome because you get exact control over your colors -- unlike a photograph where your source material is RGB and the best you can do is some conversions and cleanup.

I noticed I couldn't get yellow to look yellow and I thought "How strange.. it should be just yellow ink." So I created a pure Y yellow square, made sure all color conversion in the document and print drivers was off. Then I printed. I use a magnifying glass (you need to do this part) and notice there are dots of non-yellow ink in the yellow. Wow. Horrible.

So then I dig around on the internet and found this post:
https://graphicdesign.stackexchange...-c-m-y-k-color-using-a-regular-inkjet-printer

One of the answers mentions that inkjet drivers (most/all?) convert documents to RGB even if you give them CMYK (WOW TERRIBLE) and then run their own color profile on it to send CMYK to the printer. I've also seen another claim that the printers themselves receive RGB and translate it on-the-fly(though I'm more skeptical about that, because its cheaper for manufacturers to pay programmers who do OS programming than embedded systems programming.). Either way: the point is, YOU CAN'T PRINT CMYK, and if your print driver sucks (as apparently the EPSON does), you're stuck never being able to print yellow. I tried a dozen combinations of different profiles and source documents and its just impossible.

Honestly, I'm very heated about it. I bought a printer knowing it prints CMYK and thinking "Oh sure I'll print CMYK documents." Nope, denied.

I searched the internet for "hack drivers" or "epson driver hack" or "custom epson driver" and all kinds of ilk trying to see if anybody has a way to send CMYK data to the printer. Unfortunately I've come up empty handed.

I would bank the original OP can't get true yellow because Epson won't let him print yellow.

If anybody knows of a tank-based printer that will let you actually send CMYK data to the printer, please let me know.
We have two 2720s one in Win 10 other Mac Monterey - have never gotten a decent color "picture" like image but then we got them for documents and news letters and don't expect much more from a budget printer and the ink is priced well into our budget. We use CanonPro 300 for images.

pha3z

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 2720
For what its worth, I resolved the problem on my end by simply installing Ubuntu and printing with stock drivers detected by Ubuntu. It works perfectly. There is a night-and-day difference between what I get from Ubuntu vs Windows.

In ubuntu yellow is pure yellow ink. Magenta is true pure magenta ink instead of some reddish color. A full green blend of Y and C looks exactly like you'd expect. And other subtle colors like lavendar and orange are much true to what you intended if you mixed the CMYK colors yourself.

Getting rid of the ridiculous RGB abstraction layer found in windows drivers clears up a mountain of problems.

Latest posts