PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Isn’t that what I said about it ? :cool:

You're absolutely right. :cool:

Years before Microsoft introduced the UAC, something similar was and still is used in Linux. To install programs or change system settings you need root privileges. The normal user account doesn't have these, you have to change to the root account or confirm that you want to perform changes with root privileges by entering your password. Linux Mint and Ubuntu have the password entering way of allowing changes; this is similar to the Windows UAC pop-up window.

In Windows XP you are per default logged in as an administrator or root, even without a password, if you haven't set up user accounts with limited privileges.

As The Hat mentioned this was exploited by hackers and virus distributors, so I think it is a good thing Microsoft patched this large hole in security.

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I just updated an older XP netbook to WIN 7 today. It was a fresh install. I had to get some updated drivers after the install, but WIN 7 found them on the net, and installed them. I still have some other programs (aka, "apps") to install, but I should be done tommorow. Everything went fine! The only issue is tapping on the touchpad does not effect a "click". You have to click a button, instead. All other devices seem to work as they did before (sound, web-cam, card readers, etc).

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I just updated an older XP netbook to WIN 7 today. It was a fresh install. I had to get some updated drivers after the install, but WIN 7 found them on the net, and installed them. I still have some other programs (aka, "apps") to install, but I should be done tommorow. Everything went fine! The only issue is tapping on the touchpad does not effect a "click". You have to click a button, instead. All other devices seem to work as they did before (sound, web-cam, card readers, etc).

Yes, but you have done it before! It must be a lot easier the second time. I am running on my XP HD at the moment, I must change over to the Win 7 HD and have another session before @The Hat takes me to task, April is almost here .:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no real need to rush to make the changes before April, so long as you’ve made the decision to change that’s all that matters.

The road won’t be really toll free till the end of May or early June then these road hogs will have everything to themselves with not a Microsoft cop in sight, and anyone still using an old XP banger will be consumed in their smoke and your own skid marks.

I will continue to use XP/Win 98 (Off line) for the foreseeable future for any backwards compatibility Apps that I may need plus I run DosBox and Virtual XP on my Win 7 system, so these old Apps can still be used whichever O/S you are using for your day to day stuff, you can still get change from these older vending machines !

The best method for a reasonably stress free changeover would be to install a new hard drive and load Win 7 or Win 8.1 on that until you can acclimatise yourself to the new O/S, then you can retire your old O/S with some respect..;)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have run into trouble with Win 7, I have tried to replace CAP750.txt on the Argyll profiles thread, but having deleted the file I find I cannot upload the replacement because Win 7 will not allow me to rename CAP750.bat to CAP750.txt for uploading. Another problem is Win 7 does not appear to allow the display of file types i.e. .txt etc., it just shows the file name. Am I missing some switch somewhere?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View - Advanced Settings. Here you can deselect the "Hide extensions for known file types" and all you files will be displayed as they should (filename.ext)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Tudor, that's a relief, I remember I had to switch them on in XP, but I couldn't remember where!

I looked for the TOOLS in Win 7 Windows Explorer and there wasn't even a menu bar. I eventually coaxed it to produce a menu bar, I'm not sure how and found the tools menu and went down the list and switched on all the hidden items!

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have now switched to Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, the MS alternatives were just too awkward and incompatible with requirements.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Can anyone tell me why I cannot open multiple windows in Windows Explorer (Win 7)? It seems you can only open additional windows sequencially. That is, open disk C:, then open C: \ folder with double click and you get a second window.

Open C: and try to open disk D: as well in a second window, to copy files across and this is not allowed.

@Nifty I see there is a minor incompatibility with the PrinterKnowledge site in that if you type C:\ you get a smilie, you have to put a space in between the : \ to get C: \

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can you explain your problems more on... Ah thanks for the update.

You need to open Explorer more than once to do that, just hold the Windows key and press E and when Explorer opens just reduce that window to less than half your screen width and then repeat the same process again.

Then when you have two windows displayed at the same time click and hold the top bar on one window and quickly run it off the side of the screen then that will give you an evenly split screen..:cool: