Windows XP Unsupported from April 2014

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I recommend that Windows 7 be used by all, rather than Windows 8. I like Windows 7...a LOT!!

That's good because, apparently, my favoured replacement has Windows 7 Prof. as part of the "photo station" package.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I recommend that Windows 7 be used by all, rather than Windows 8. I like Windows 7...a LOT!!
I also like Windows 7 very much, and think it would be a worthy successor to Windows XP, but it seems to be unobtainable now or at least very hard to find.

So @Emulator if the Windows 7 computer is reasonably priced then go for it. If you like Windows XP, I'm sure you will also like Windows 7, and Windows 7 is much easier to use right away without tweaks than Windows 8.

With my Windows 8.1 computer, Classic Shell made the difference between a useless and a useful OS in my opinion.

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Windows 7 is still available, just not from Microsoft directly. Thy are pushing 8. You can easily get it from third parties (I just bought a legit copy on eBay). Also, laptops and PC's that have Windows 7 installed are STILL being sold...you just have to ask...

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I'm that old guy in "Up", clinging to XP while all that construction goes on around me.

One day I'll get a new i7 editing rig and go Win 7.

For safety's sake, I just did an image backup of my system drive.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
So DOS still rules? I wonder if a modern 64 bit multi core CPU will allow booting into DOS, or you need an old CPU like the P4?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Keep the old computer without web access to handle the old stuff and use the new racehorse to photo edit and access the web.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Image for DOS seems nice, but how to load custom sata driver? Does it has compression?

I just use acronis to do imaging restoring tasks.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
@Smile, I'm not sure about custom SATA driver, but it supports all kinds of compression levels and a million other settings. I LOVE that it supports a differential, so each image can be a full or just a delta of changes between the last and the most recent, which saves a lot of space. I'm actually using the Windows For Dos version and it works really well. Imaging has saved my butt a TON of times over the years!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This all sound very nostalgia like but be serious guys, what exactly are going to do when you get infected, BACK IT UP AGAIN.:eek:

You guys are living in cloud cuckoo land, you have just driven into a Cul-De-Sac so it will be a case of upgrade or go without, and you won’t even see the end of the world coming because you’ll be off line by that time.

Here’s some good advice.. :love
Emulator said:
Keep the old computer without web access to handle the old stuff and use the new racehorse to photo edit and access the web.