Windows XP Unsupported from April 2014

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
It's the virus scanner that protects your computer from infection, not the windows. So I think these weekly Windows upgrades are not really necessary.
I'll keep using XP as long as I own this puter and I don't expect much problems. I did the same with my previous Win 2000 computer.

Remember: to prevent problems never open a link in a suspicious mail.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
@palombian "
Very few compatibility problems, Canon drivers were available soon, and some app's (ex Lightroom) even don't run on XP."

yes Adobe did it again when they made Lightroom to not run on WinXP.

@The Hat
"Win 7 would be the most obvious and best choice but it’s not on sale anymore except for corporate users."

Well obvious solution is to buy Win8 then install hacked copy of Win7, if that makes you feel better.

@PeterBJ
"Luckily the freeware program "Classic Shell" brought back the start button and start menu. I now have a desktop environment that looks like a slightly modernized Windows 2000, with normal Windows functionality, which I find fully acceptable. I almost never use the "Metro" UI."

Why pay multi-million company money if you need hacked UI to use their OS?

@PeterBJ

"I look forward to threads about how to install Canon printers under Linux with full functionality, maybe we will even see a new Linux forum, when XP is no longer supported."
I hope it will happen, but I doubt it. I tried Linux Mint was the closest I got to make my OLD ip6700d to work, but it seems the Canon printers are a "black box" and "micro weaving" does not work because of it so you only get 600x600dpi instead of 9600x2400dpi. Prints look very very bad.

EPSON works fine I read, but I don't have an EPSON printer to verify this.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm still sitting here on XP. I've tried moving to 7 a few times... even once for 6 months, and I just couldn't work as efficiently. Maybe someday I'll upgrade... but to what? I'm not sure. Maybe at that point we'll finally be able to run all our apps in "the cloud". Google Docs, etc. are making pretty good progress. I got my wife a $199 Chromebook and she's very happy with it, and it does 95% of what she needs.

I look forward to threads about how to install Canon printers under Linux with full functionality, maybe we will even see a new Linux forum, when XP is no longer supported. I hope so @Nifty .

Hmm... that's an interesting idea! We'd start with encouraging Linux based threads and if there are enough of them, then we'd look into it's own section.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I use XP on this PC myself.

I got my wife a $199 Chromebook and she's very happy with it, and it does 95% of what she needs.

What if no internet is available and I don't want google or CIA, or NSA to have my files.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lucas28 said:
It's the virus scanner that protects your computer from infection, not the windows. So I think these weekly Windows upgrades are not really necessary.

Staying on XP is not a very good option and yes despite not opening suspicious links you’ll still get hacked; in fact you’ll then become an access point for anything that’s lodged in your computer to then re-infect other computers and so on, anti-virus software won’t stop it either, not without the updates. (Catch 22)

Remember these college students are extremely good at hacking right now, so can you imagine how easy it will be for them when there are no more updates, they just want your passwords bank acc. and credit card details they they’ll leave you alone till next time.

Smile said:
Well obvious solution is to buy Win8 then install hacked copy of Win7, if that makes you feel better.

I am already running a legal version of Win 7 and have no intentions of using any hacked copy of Win 8 either.
The only option XP users will have (In another 6 months) is not to access the internet at all, then they’ll be perfectly safe, on occasions I still XP myself but would never think of going online with it..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Windows over internet gets hacked by browser flaws not by OS flaws AFAIK. If you have hardware standalone updated firewall, opensource browser as Firefox and you don't download suspicious files, have good antivirus as ESET NOD32. I see no reason to be infected.

I use a windows 2003 server one of my PC's and it's on 24/7. I don't download anything to it by browser. Has not been infected, I don't even have antivirus on it. It's embedded VIA-chipset PC. Don't be paranoid where it is not necessary IMHO.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
What about this one from Peter's #17's reference:

Don't even think of upgrading to a newer OS. Simple, Simple fix available.
And best of all you can stop using AV products.

Just run XP or Win7 in a Linux shell using the virtual machine.

Robolinux is free and has provided easy to use tools to run Windows inside of Linux, which (of course) is secure and doesn't get infected, even without using any external AV products. Use your existing product key and forget about expensive new Microsoft products.

http://robolinux.org/
cfdbff8ff02ce0dea7e9e102bd1f650a

Joe.Smetona
4 February, 2014 13:47

I haven't a clue, is it valid or just hopping on the band wagon?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't know about robolinux since virtualized OS has trouble using hardware accelerated graphics, maybe this has changed. But you have to have special CPU visualization technology in your CPU to use this. Users that still run XP has old PC this robolinux is not very good solution.

Last edited: