Windows XP Unsupported from April 2014

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
It's the Internet we need to banish!! Not XP. :) Thanks for your comments Lee, I have never looked at Linux. To be honest (and to keep The Hat happy) Win 7 Prof is performing quite well now, but every so often it rebels, and will not do as it's told.:mad:

My next task is to assist my grand daughter assemble a Raspberry Pi we bought her as a birthday present. (For those unaware of what this is, see the Internet, it's a very popular and successful project). I wonder if anyone has hacked that yet.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Ian if you can get Win 7 to display the Spool folder again, try changing the Permissions on it to make access easier for you.

Click on properties, then Security and use that section to set your own level of permission and that you solve that issue for you.
Spool 1.PNG Spool 2.PNG Spool 3.PNG
I hope you enjoy building the little Raspberry with your granddaughter, because I reckon she know more about it that you do.

And as far as the stupid remarks go, if Linux is that good then why is everybody using Window ?
Ops sorry I suppose it’s FREE that must be the big attraction..

RagerToo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP1200laser HP 8250 Photosmart
A few years back, there were plenty of web pages that just didn't display well in anything other than Internet Exploder. Firefox and, I'm guessing, some standards have come around. There was a time when visiting M$'s sites wouldn't display right nor allow 'updates' and things to be downloaded unless it was with a M$ browser. grrr

I've spent plenty of time with Linux distros, though the command line isn't my cup-a-. It does have it's uses. Data recovery is a snap, far better than any (freebie), windows based programs. If I could make the time I'd really like to get a handle on one of the BSDs. They're closest to Unix.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
And a PDP-11 to go with it.:)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I followed that up Brian but, although "spool" is available in a normal IE window, if you try to access it via, say, ICC Profile Inspector and hunt for profiles through the "browse" facility, SYSTEM32" does not show the "spool" sub-folder.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
We have assembled the Raspberry Pi with Granddaughter leading the way, and are now accessing PrinterKnowledge - typing this message - from the Raspberry Pi itself. Quite a remarkable package for the beginner, if a little slow in access speed.:thumbsup

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And as far as the stupid remarks go, if Linux is that good then why is everybody using Window ?

If there are any stupid questions that must be at the top of the list!!!

If you want to upgrade to a newer Microsoft OS because in may be required when you buy new hardware then do it.
However understand that Microsoft is not the answer to security problems, they are the cause.

As for as free Lubuntu, this was not an issue as my wife already had a window 7 system.

Lubuntu 14 is simple to use with a GUI much like windows.

We should put our hat on an read about it to find out about its security before making comments. ( well maybe some would not understand )

If I was to upgrade to a newer MS operating system (and i may) I would then install linux as a dual boot for online use and not have to bother with the forever ongoing MS security updates.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
We have assembled the Raspberry Pi with Granddaughter leading the way, and are now accessing PrinterKnowledge - typing this message - from the Raspberry Pi itself. Quite a remarkable package for the beginner, if a little slow in access speed.:thumbsup

I'm impressed :thumbsup . I guess this little kit computer is running some kind of Linux, so here is a new challenge: Can the Raspberry Pi drive a Canon printer? This thread may be a good starting point to gather info about how to install a Canon printer under Linux.

Ops sorry I suppose it’s FREE that must be the big attraction..

I guess the reason is that it is very difficult to buy a new computer without Windows pre-installed. You could of course build your system from components, or order a custom built computer, but only a few does that today. And I think no companies sell components for building a laptop.

You can of course wipe the harddisk and install another OS, but you have already paid for the Windows license, so why not use Windows?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Right on Ian that’s the way to go, even if you’re Granddaughter might have done all the work.. :caf