Windows XP Unsupported from April 2014

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Lubuntu 14 is simple to use with a GUI much like windows.

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of P4 XP computers, which I think are too good to throw out, so I will give Lubuntu a try. For the reason of a Windows like GUI, I like Linux Mint and Kubuntu. I guess Lubuntu is similar. I guess Lubuntu is light on resource use on older computers.

I don't know very much about MacOS, but I think the traditional Ubuntu GUI is MacOS like. Maybe this is the Linux distro to try for Mac users?

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
One thing I found interesting with Lubuntu when pared with Window XP was when booted on Lubuntu you can see all the files of the XP (change delete them etc) however when booted on XP the Lubuntu section of the drive is unknown (unreachable) like a one way window.

One thing is the Lubuntu download is a bootable ISO file. I used my darn XP laptop to put it on a CD, It recognized it as a bootable iso copied it to a CD and verified , however it wouldn't boot (was probably aToshiba copy utility ).

I Then used ImgBurn to make the CD which worked fine.

Of course as with any OS it takes a little time to find out how to do things. I'm not totally there however I can do what I need to. I was able to get my HP printer and all my USB sticks and drives to work but haven't tried anything else.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
More news on Internet Explorer security issue.

Microsoft has decided to release a fix for ALL versions of Internet Explorer INCLUDING XP!!!

The fix is out today, May 1, 2014.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the info. My default browser is Firefox, but on rare occasions a site won't work properly with Firefox. I then try opening the page in IE. I guess that after having received the update, it is safe to do so again?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The Raspberry Pi is a model B, worth the extra for the additional capability, I think it uses a version of Linux and you are able to set up printers. Quite a mass of software, but a long way to go to comprehend it all. It will start her on the road to programming and keep her busy, the schools are increasingly teaching computer science. In some cases an Ipad is becoming standard issue for all school work!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the info. My default browser is Firefox, but on rare occasions a site won't work properly with Firefox. I then try opening the page in IE. I guess that after having received the update, it is safe to do so again?
According to the news reports - yes. :fl

RagerToo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP1200laser HP 8250 Photosmart
Keep in mind that perhaps 85% of all the crapware and viruses that infect windows oses are socially engineered.

One of my cow-orkers recently got her hard drive held for ransom. "pay us $300 to get your machine back". She opened some POS in her email and her hdd was encrypted. Right Now! The co. regularly backs up to a cloud so she was, pretty much, in the clear.

There is so much going on behind "the scenes", one still has to be diligent. I've purchased, recently, a few things from Amazon and eBay. THEN, I got some, "your shipment is delayed" mails. Routed to my spam folder. -sheesh- Someone has a tap on a few servers.

I have a pretty good s/w firewall on my (regular desktop) machine. Kerio, http://filehippo.com/download_sunbelt_personal_firewall/

But I went one step further and bought the Vipre suite. (and now that I've gotten a little info, I'll d/l the freebie to my lappy). There's a curve -shrug- I've been online for a little while, but this firewall is something I can recommend. Filehippo is a reliable d/l site and any of their suggestions is probably OK.

Though I happen to detest ZoneAlarm. They used-ta "phone home" regularly according to gurus I followed.

Last edited:

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a pretty good s/w firewall on my (regular desktop) machine. Kerio, http://filehippo.com/download_sunbelt_personal_firewall/

Though I happen to detest ZoneAlarm. They used-ta "phone home" regularly according to gurus I followed.

Thanks for the info!
I had installed Zone Alarm on my XP Laptop to help make it more secure. Perhaps it works ok however it made the boot up very sloooooow!
Now that I don't use XP on line I think I will remove it

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I so bored at the moment that I half filled a glass with cheap red wine and went through every post in this thread....Arrrr .. dis innarestin fred.....

XP is user friendly, friendly folk get exploited, many times so we change things to suit the exploiter, he can stay a step ahead, whilst we struggle to adapt to going backwards whilst being told we are going forwards :lol:
As previously stated, my XP machine is offline FULL STOP.

I have Win7, have had for a while, and to my utter surprise I have actually survived the trauma. My machine has HEAPS or RAM, runs 64bit and has a swag if gear on it, such as PS,Lightroom,Topaz,Bigano,onone,nik etc.

Installed a Hybrid SSD and a couple of Raptors (10,000 vs 7,500) and thought that was pretty ok.
Just installed a big SSD as my main drive a couple of weeks ago and the difference is gobsmacking!

I have the ability to run 32bit conventional HDD alongside 64bit SSD and its not a game , its a shame!
in other words there is no possible comparison. I am processing 4 row X 8 frames Panoramas in Raw shot on a full frame Canon in PtGui AND Photoshop, almost live......!!

The change to Win 8 may well be inevitable? or like Vista, * will fold and Win 9 will be a better path of two evils :somad

XP was great, in retrospect, the Elvis of the OS platforms available :lol: its GONE to you know where:thumbsup

RIP XP :barnie

Andrew