1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: New Light Standard Design - Ongoing Update
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Which SSD to buy?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by PeterBJ, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jun 22, 2019
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    What is "key software"?

You do not need to enter a Product Key or Digital License during the installation process. However, you will only get a limited trial period.

Yes and is done through customization of the installation routine.

Again, making an installation disk from the Media Creation Tool does not embed the Product Key from the computer that made the install disk as far as I know. Performing a clean install, at least on a computer that has never had Windows 10 installed previously, should prompt for a Product Key or Digital License that, once accepted via the activation process, is then tethered to that particular hardware on the computer.

From this link on how to make installation media for a USB, DVD or an ISO you can see that the installation media is NOT tied to a specific Product Key, Digital License or a specific computer.

In the following image is the step where you choose either directly upgrading the computer running the installation media OR to make installable media for use on "another pc".

[​IMG]

In the following image is the step where you can choose either or BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions available on the same installation disk/USB.

[​IMG]

If your Product Key was embedded in the installation disk you would not be able to choose the bit version as it would be chosen for you based on the identification contained within the Product Key / Digital License so as to prevent trying to install the wrong bit version for your CPU. It also makes no sense to be able to install on "another pc", as seen in the first image, when your OEM Key or License is tethered to a singular hardware combo.

The Media Creation Tool does NOT embed your Product Key or Digital License when you create installable media.

2. Jun 22, 2019
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    This is true. An example: I used a Win 8.1 64 bit computer to create a Win 10 32 bit install DVD. This DVD was used first to install Win 10 to a new and empty SSD drive that replaced the HDD on a laptop that was previously running Win 10. No key was entered and Windows was activated, as the computer was recognised by the activation server.

I also used this DVD to upgrade another laptop to Win 10 from Win 7. I installed Win 10 to a formatted HDD. At the beginning of the install I had to enter a key. I entered the Win 7 key that I had used when installing Win 7. This key was accepted, and Windows 10 was activated.

The Hat likes this.
  3. Jun 23, 2019
    SkedAddled

SkedAddled Printing Ninja

Printer Model:
    MG5320, PRO-100, CLP-300
    I suppose not.
    The only scenario that then seems to fit is that my installation checked for my system's
    'digital fingerprint' as currently already valid in a MS database somewhere, eliminating
    any need for my input during the process.

The Hat likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Maybe, but you never explained what you meant by "installing the key software". :idunno

5. Jun 24, 2019
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Some restore CDs and DVDs that reinstall the OS and maybe also programs don't demand entering a key. It is written automatically at install and the no activation is needed. These disks are for only one brand and maybe also only one model of computer. Here is the content of a Win XP Pro DK 32 bit OEM CD for old Dell computers. This disk worked with many models, maybe all models, but only Dell:

Win XP Dell - 1a.jpg

Maybe the $OEM$ folder is the secret? here is the content of that folder:

Win XP Dell - 2a.jpg

Could this be the explanation of the "Key Software"?

The Hat likes this.
  6. Jun 24, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    No.

What you described is a Product Key automatically installed from an OEM manufacturer's own installation routine, not what Sked described as skipping the manual entry during install during a clean install from a disk created by the Media Creation Tool, not the OEM manufacturer, which does NOT contain a Product Key or Digital License.

However, there is software that allows one to make an installation routine for automatic, hands free, and no or little input, including entry of licenses. This installation will include the OS (the Enterprise edition of Windows with multiple licenses), third party apps, licenses and custom settings of OS /apps as desired. This type of software is especially useful for an IT person who needs to install the same setup on multiple computers of a business or school. Make the installation routine with the third party software, burn custom designed installation routine to disk, insert disk in target machine, click "start" (or whatever) and walk away. No skipping the Product Key or Digital License step and then later manually entering it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Jun 24, 2019
    SkedAddled

Printer Model:
    MG5320, PRO-100, CLP-300
    I don't believe it's a software which is distributed to consumers,
    but rather, it's one that allows "branding" by high-volume builders upon installation:
    ASUS, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Medion, Lenovo, Sony, Fujitsu, etc...
    As long as the motherboard's BIOS communicates the proper information for the
    branding selected, it's then automatically validated by the MS servers.

It was given to me by an IT friend who worked for a shop that services and builds systems.

This allows the large custom builders to simply purchase Windows copies in bulk,
    install on any machine then 'brand' it to the motherboard, while passing the physical
    OS disk to the consumer at time of system purchase. Saves the builder time
    in entering product keys, etc.

8. Jun 24, 2019
    SkedAddled

Printer Model:
    MG5320, PRO-100, CLP-300
    It needn't be the Enterprise, or even VLK(Volume Licensing Key) editions.

I've used such a tool in the past, for Windows XP.
    While it may be a bit changed since then, I recall successfully using it to create an XP
    installation to include a few of my smaller programs, unattended, but with the XP product key
    I had purchased with the OS. This was excellent for me as I was then often changing up
    my hardware and liked to frequently format for a fresh installation.

My best recollection has this being named the Slipstream installation tool.

9. Jun 25, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    What is the name of this software?

Is this what you are referring to, data stored in the EUFI?

It still does not explain why your installation process stopped on the step for you to manually enter a Product Key, which you then skipped and later used some third party software to enter your Key. Either the process automatically reads the EUFI and proceeds without need for your input or it does not. :idunno

10. Jun 27, 2019
    palombian

palombian Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II, MAXIFY MB5350
    The best way to install a SSD is to clone the C: drive to it, replace the disks and reboot.
    Your Windows license remains valid doing so and you spare the tedious work to reinstall all software.
    I use the free Minitool Partition Wizard.
    In a desktop you can branch the SSD on a free SATA connector to clone, on a laptop you need an USB-to-SATA connector.
    No problems with the cheap Kingston 400's, altough they are not the fastests (but more than fast enough on an older PC).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019