1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: TUSB 3.0 Transfer Speed with external memory devices
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Which SSD to buy?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by PeterBJ, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jun 20, 2019
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Product Keys and Digital Licenses may be linked to a specific hardware combination, but is the type of Key or License that dictates whether it can be installed on
    1. any machine, over and over, regardless of of the hardware combination, but only one machine at a time (Retail versions of Windows), or,
    2. only one specific hardware combo ever (OEM versions).
    The "cheap keys" may be legal and usually are OEM if they are legal, so usually tethered to only one hardware combo ever.

2. Jun 20, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    Yes, you are right; I used VMWare longer time ago for similar reasons, it worked, but the setup got pretty complex once you get beyond the default settings. Virtualization is a completely separate subject, and I wouldn't want to mingle it with the Win10 update process.

stratman and The Hat like this.
  3. Jun 20, 2019
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Yes the laptop ran Win 10 on a traditional HDD. It was a free upgrade from Win 7. The laptop had become unreliable and slow, so I thought that either the OS had become corrupted or the harddisk was failing. I bought a 240 GB budget SSD to replace the HDD and I also wanted a clean install instead of the "patchwork" that I think an upgrade could easily become. The laptop is now much quicker than it was when it was new with the traditional HDD. So even on a laptop with limited resources the SSD was an improvement.

palombian and The Hat like this.
  4. Jun 20, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    So true!

The Hat likes this.
  5. Jun 20, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    That's probably why it did not ask for a Product Key when you reinstalled Windows 10 as a clean install. MS already knew your computer and had a digital License for it stored on their Activation server. :hide

For most people, installing an SSD makes the single biggest improvement possible (outside of a new computer). :)

palombian likes this.
  6. Jun 20, 2019
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    It certainly does :). I had considered buying a new laptop, but now I will keep this old one. Thanks to the SSD and a fresh install of OS and programs it is even better than when it was new.

I have now installed Win 10 on a formatted HDD on another laptop that had previously ben running Win 7. I used the key from the Win 7 install, and Win 10 is activated, so it looks to be true that you can still upgrade Win 7 and 8.1 computers to Win 10 for free. That is good news for owners of Win 7 computers :), so thanks to @stratman and @SkedAddled for this very useful info.

Redbrickman, stratman and The Hat like this.
  7. Jun 21, 2019
    mikling

mikling Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Interesting that this workaround works. Now remember with a Digital License, you should need to register the PC with MS. If you don't and you change something significant on your PC, then you lose the activation. As long as this is available then you do the Win 7 routine, upgrade etc. The downside for me is that this stops the PC from automatically logging in without a password or PIN.
    Since I use an older Win7 > Win 10 upgrade for my HTPC and streamer, I prefer to have the autologin. I have gone so far as to install a remote start for the HTPC.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4V-5V-6V-7-4V-9V-12V-Relay-DC-ON-OFF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Switch-Transmitter/182812387318?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
    Simply power from the USB outlet on PC ( you will need to hack into an old USB cable or resetter cable) and then attach the relay to the start pins on the MB. Voila! remote turn on and turn off.
    Now I'm thinking with this I should redo my setup to allow 4K and start over with Win7 and do it all over again while it is available.
    Does anyone know if swapping a video card requires a new Digital License?
    Also I'm now iffy on my Samsung SSDs. Since 3 yrs ago, all the SSDs I've purchased have been Samsung 860 and newer EVOs. The 250GB 860 EVO that is about 3 years old now seems to be slowing down. All my Sandisk and OLD Seagate SSD seem to be holding up fine. Those were all MLC though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Jun 21, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    The Hat and stratman like this.
  9. Jun 21, 2019
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    :idunno

Turn on autologon.

Cannot speak to the NAND flash on your Sandisk and Seagate SSD's, but your Samsung 860 EVO is TLC, a 3-bit per cell version of 2-bit MLC.

Performance can be impacted by things intrinsic and extrinsic to the SSD. For instance, if you do not leave enough free space available then performance takes a hit. Also, how much data has been written to the drive, which may account for more cells being marked as "bad" and to no longer use, ultimately resulting in performance hits and eventual drive death. It is difficult to say what your issues are without further examination.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    The Hat likes this.
  10. Jun 21, 2019
    SkedAddled

SkedAddled Printing Ninja

Printer Model:
    MG5320, PRO-100, CLP-300
    I may actually be removed from such situations, now that it's been brought up like this. It's probably a significant factor.

My installation is actually tied to an OEM manufacturer via software key(s),
    specifically, ASUS. It's been a matter of installing the OS while skipping the step of manually
    entering a key, then installing the key software. After key installation, no further input
    by me was required for a licensed and activated Win7 OS.
    Clean installs were performed this way on 3 significantly different hardware systems,
    to no ill effect.

This is likely a concession by MS to major OEMs, so that the OEMs needn't be bothered
    by consumers with common installation troubles in relation to keys & activation,
    such as mis-entered keys, poor eyesight, etc.

It is this latest Win7 OS on my current system which was used to run the Media
    Creation tool and obtain the downloads. Perhaps it's the OEM key which was baked into
    the install media. Win10 was then installed on the same system without the Win7
    installation present, so it certainly could not have extracted license/activation info from
    a prior installation present at the time.