Which SSD to buy?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
on a laptop you need an USB-to-SATA connector.
I need to mention to you that lots of these SATA to USB adapters offer mediocre transfer speed, even on USB 3.0 ports. SSD's typically run 400-500MB on a decent SATA port on a motherboard, even lower cost models. Some may drop speed if you transfer great amounts of data - many gigabaytes.
I tested several of such SATA to USB 3.0 adapters - most run at 30 - 50 MB/sec only, I found one little adapter card - SATA to USB 3.0 which was used in an external drive case, this one as the only one does 150MB/sec both for R/W. So if you think your SSD is slow it might rather be the adapter slowing down the drive.
And I found as well wide speed variations on USB 3.0 hubs - between 30 - 500 MB/sec with different models.
I'm using a little benchmark routine Atto Disk Benchmark, but there are some similar routines available as well
https://www.atto.com/disk-benchmark/
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/atto-disk-benchmark/
You just cannot assume that hardware specified for USB 3.0 or 3.1 or C port is actually giving you the speed these standards specify

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I use the USB to SATA only to clone the SSD.
Yes, that's not speed critical and can run in the background; just run a little test and you know what performance your adapter can deliver. I'm always disappointed when I order and get USB 3.0 hardware which does not deliver any decent 3.0 performance.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
What is the name of this software?

Is this what you are referring to, data stored in the EUFI?

It still does not explain why your installation process stopped on the step for you to manually enter a Product Key, which you then skipped and later used some third party software to enter your Key. Either the process automatically reads the EUFI and proceeds without need for your input or it does not. :idunno
None, and No.
It's UEFI, by the way.

It is a customized bit of code given to me by a high-volume system builder friend.
It was developed & created to make the Win7 installation process less time-consuming
by similar builders, who build to-order systems.
It allows the builder to assemble the hardware, then install Win7 without the need
to provide a product key. It also allows an end-user to reinstall or use recovery,
using the product key included with the Windows installation DVD provided
with system purchase.

It does not use embedded UEFI BIOS information, which is frequently absent
from retail-packaged motherboards.
It simply finds BIOS markers within the BIOS, reporting to Windows that the
system board is valid.

It uses the advantage of some things:
1) The ability for proven volume builders to purchase copies of Windows
at volume-copy discounts.
Think of Newegg, Tiger Direct, CDW, and others who build to order.
2) The ability to simplify & streamline the OS installation process.
3) The ability to provide the purchaser with a sealed DVD disk of the media;
the product key remains unique and valid.

The point you seem to be missing out on, is that it is not a process
which extracts a product key from a UEFI motherboard's BIOS.
It is a utility created by, and for, experienced system builders.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
...just run a little test and you know what performance your adapter can deliver. I'm always disappointed when I order and get USB 3.0 hardware which does not deliver any decent 3.0 performance.
I understand the desire for speedy transfers, but is it absolutely
critical for you to achieve the fastest-possible?

Remember that a system's motherboard and its components make a gigantic
difference between theoretical and actual capability.
In fact, your own system(s) used for testing/benchmarking,
which is a useless pursuit IMHO, may not have the best components
for the testing you desire.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It allows the builder to assemble the hardware, then install Win7 without the need to provide a product key.
I recently set up a new computer from Dell. No product Key or Digital License was required for the install. The computer was activated automatically. Awesome.

If no Key is required to be inputted during a new computer setup / activation as you say, whether automatically or manually by the user, then what stops the user from using the printed Key or license that comes with that computer on another computer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I understand the desire for speedy transfers, but is it absolutely
critical for you to achieve the fastest-possible?
No, it is not absolutely critical, it's just to understand the actual performance capabilities of the hardware you are using.
SATA ports in a computer are doing 500MB/s since a long time - 10+ years with the emergence of this interface.
And if you take this same or an equivalent drive and connect it via some adapters to an USB 3.0 port and you suddenly just get 30MB/s- I feel pushed back into the USB 2.0 days speedwise.
You may have a computer board and a SSD with decent speed, you have USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard which may transfer 100MB/s with a fast USB 3.0 stick . And as soon as you connect your SSD via such SATA/USB 3.0 adapter you just get 30MB/s and your backup takes 5-10x+ time longer than it would take with another adapter. One problem is that about no dealer of such adapters is willing or able to give you any number about the actual transfer speed of the stuff he is selling, and the bad fact is that most of such USB 3.0 hardware - adapters - Hubs - just have a blue USB 3.0 connector but run at USB 2.0 speed or barely faster. And it's not better with USB 3.1/C port type hardware, the USB C port of the cheapest notebook or tablet is running real high speed, but as soon as you connect typical hardware - hubs - adapters - etc - the transfer speed is terribly throttled.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
If no Key is required to be inputted during a new computer setup / activation as you say, whether automatically or manually by the user, then what stops the user from using the printed Key or license that comes with that computer on another computer?
Nothing would stop them, actually.

But then again, it's entirely optional, since at least Win7, to enter a key anyway.
Windows will install and function, but no key entered will simply prevent typical changes
such as desktop images and common user customizations, as well as displaying the
'Trial Version' or similar message.

As with all Windows product keys, it's the type of license it provides which determines
whether it can be used on one or multiple systems. While it's typically been only the various
Corporate, Professional, VLK and KMS licensing schemes through the years which are
valid for multiple machines, I've heard past mention of some of the retail-level keys
being eligible for two or more machines simultaneously. These may be obscure.

I managed to come across information years ago about replacing files within
the XP installation media, which provided the Corporate version, not sold at retail.
I poked around and found the files for download, integrated them into a retail source,
and installed to have the Corporate version at my disposal.
Not precisely endorsed by Microsoft, but the files were actually distributed
by them on media sold to businesses.
The more obscure licenses are similar to this method, if not the same.

It's my understanding that Win10 breaks from such variances, with only the
VLK and KMS methods now being the only valid solution for installing
without any user input.

I'm a little bit surprised my Win7 and Win10 installations are both operational
without any activation or validity notices. I can only assume that my copy of
7 Ultimate is given expanded use rights as opposed to Home, Pro, etc.
I'm more surprised that I was not prompted to enter a key during or after
installing Win10, in spite of having my retail key at the ready.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I've heard past mention of some of the retail-level keys being eligible for two or more machines simultaneously.
Maybe you are thinking of Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) licenses, at least how they operated in the past.