What printer has replaced the Pro 3880?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
SSD's/flash memory vary by the number of write cycles they can reliably do, and this depends directly on the chip/memory cell structure. Serious companies specify a number of Terabytes written as a kind of guaranteed minimum amongst other parameters like the number of IOPS for speed. The Samsung SSD Magician software gives you access to some of these data - mainly the Terabytes written as a wear indicator. I have not seen such software from many other SSD manufacturers. There are 3rd party utilities to read out the SMART data from a drive but some companies hide some of such usage data as proprietary data. I have not seen any dropouts yet with several Samsung SSD's I'm using since several years - quite heavily (EVO type units). I have experienced several damages of SD card flash memories which were not even heavily used.
Just a comment to RAID protection - I'm reading above that you were using a RAID configuration. RAID is pretty good for protection against hardware failures of an individual disk, but not in all cases. I had a case that a defect IDE drive was blocking the other RAID drive such that both were unusable after a failure, and the drive not actually defect got the file table completely screwed up by the other drive, and it took quite some recovery time to get the system starting again. And the other case was a malfunctioning software installation which did some damage to Win XP which could not be recovered. The software supplier admitted indirectly that they had a problem with an unrecognized virus on their installation disks - and that got installed on both RAID drives.
That's cases a RAID system cannot help . You may consider some other/additional backup method besides RAID to cover such situations as well. Memory prices are that low that additional chips/cards/drives should not be a limiting factor anymore.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't know how the Corsair disk compares to the Samsung disk so I cannot give any advice.
Me either. I would Google a comparison if you had specific Corsair and Samsung drives you wanted to contrast, such as "Corsair Force LX vs Samsung 850 Pro". Here is one finding. Note that choosing drive Gigabyte capacity alters the results. I would also look at reviews for each drive using Google again.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm reading above that you were using a RAID configuration.
I postulated that 3dogs may be using a raid array. All he said was mirroring, which can be done without setting up a RAID.

FYI -- The Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 may or may not retain RAID structure.

The following is info some already know and others might find of interest.

A short and simple overview about RAID here.

RAID 1 (mirroring) is not a backup. RAID 1 is designed in the event of a hard drive failure you can easily switch over to the mirrored drive to keep going. If a virus or file deletion occurs on the primary drive it is copied onto the secondary mirrored drive. In this case, both drives of the RAID 1 configuration are screwed and is why having a Backup is critical.

Backups are copies of your data, or even the entire drive. Backups can be performed in a number of ways, but it is advisable to use a method that results in an external backup, meaning not another drive in the computer, because a fire or theft will ruin your day. In the old days one might burn backups onto CD's. An external backup drive that connects using USB is a simple backup solution for many. Whatever the method, depending on the critical nature of the data, consider storing a backup off site, meaning not in the same physical structure as the computer, in case of natural or man made disaster.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I can not say with any certainty, from what I remember now the 'GURU' just set the drives to mirror. I do seem to remember him saying he did not favour a RAID array....whatever that is.
Have not asked the fella that installed Win 10. However, he also did not use the term RAID in any context.

Regardless, for me its a moot point. Future system backup is on auto within each unit.
Images on externals. Aside of my own images nothing on them to 'protect'.
I have reached the point where complexity equals vulnerability and 'quality' is a thing of the past.
The current generation of 'Techs' all the way from my installer along the chain to California, India and China have no understanding of durability, its ALL replace, replace.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The current generation of 'Techs' all the way from my installer along the chain to California, India and China have no understanding of durability, its ALL replace, replace.
We get replaced by newer models too, courtesy of the “Grim Reaper”.. :hide
Capture.JPG

P.S. No idea of his country of origin..

Latest posts