What Brand & Type of Photopaper do you use?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Kirkland glossy (Tulip made in Mexico). I'm still too much of a printing newbie to have much of an informed opinion. Price is very good and quality seems at least as good as a few alternatives I've tried.

fortisi876 said:
- How do you go about choosing what type of paper to print any specific image?
I'm a printing newbie who has so far only used glossy paper, so "consider the source", but the guidance I've seen is that:
* glossy is capable of higher sharpness, contrast, and /or dynamic range compared to matte
* glossy typically preferred for scenics and high details when you want the image to really "pop".
* matte is typically preferred for people pictures, especially portraits because it is can be more forgiving of skin imperfections.
* Also matte might be preferred for "softer" pictures where the "mood" is toned down

YMMV, and the real answer is ... "it depends". It's one more "creative decision", along with composition, f-stop, shutter speed, iso, etc.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a good stock of the Kirkland paper and also purchased the Red River Sample pack for dye based printers.

I ultimately purchased the Ultra Pro Satin and looks good on my Canon 9000 Mark ll and also off my Epson 4880.

All ink is Precision.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/68lb-ultrapro-satin.html

I'm thinking on a price per sheet basis this seems reasonable for Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl x 250 sheets, 8.5x11 @ .38 a sheet delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Ilford-Galerie-Smooth-Inkjet-1979239/dp/B00006I5C3/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c

For 95% of what I print the Kirkland products seem fine and offer great value, but I'm always looking for something less glossy.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Mirror - satin coated, pro. glossy, semigloss/matte (doublesided)