1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Brand & Type of Photopaper do you use?

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by mikling, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2011
    l_d_allan

l_d_allan Fan of Printing

Kirkland glossy (Tulip made in Mexico). I'm still too much of a printing newbie to have much of an informed opinion. Price is very good and quality seems at least as good as a few alternatives I've tried.

I'm a printing newbie who has so far only used glossy paper, so "consider the source", but the guidance I've seen is that:
    * glossy is capable of higher sharpness, contrast, and /or dynamic range compared to matte
    * glossy typically preferred for scenics and high details when you want the image to really "pop".
    * matte is typically preferred for people pictures, especially portraits because it is can be more forgiving of skin imperfections.
    * Also matte might be preferred for "softer" pictures where the "mood" is toned down

YMMV, and the real answer is ... "it depends". It's one more "creative decision", along with composition, f-stop, shutter speed, iso, etc.

2. Feb 3, 2011
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Sihl high gloss paper from Aldi

3. Mar 21, 2011
    filmguy

filmguy Getting Fingers Dirty

I have a good stock of the Kirkland paper and also purchased the Red River Sample pack for dye based printers.

I ultimately purchased the Ultra Pro Satin and looks good on my Canon 9000 Mark ll and also off my Epson 4880.

All ink is Precision.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/68lb-ultrapro-satin.html

I'm thinking on a price per sheet basis this seems reasonable for Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl x 250 sheets, 8.5x11 @ .38 a sheet delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Ilford-Galerie-Smooth-Inkjet-1979239/dp/B00006I5C3/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c

For 95% of what I print the Kirkland products seem fine and offer great value, but I'm always looking for something less glossy.

4. Mar 24, 2011
    SpideRMaN

SpideRMaN Fan of Printing

Mirror - satin coated, pro. glossy, semigloss/matte (doublesided)