1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Brand & Type of Photopaper do you use?

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by mikling, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010
    Leonardjohn

Leonardjohn Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    To many to list
    My all time favorite photo papers are....

Epson Ultra Premium Luster, 67 lbs 10 mil, 13 x 19, 8.5 x 11 and roll for my pigment printers, 2200 and R2880.

Produces a great photo.

Then
    Staples, Photo supreme double-sided matte paper, 61 lb 11 mil

Next

HP tri-fold matt for photo tri-folds, printed on an HP k5400dtn

The Epson luster bets them all.

LJH

2. Mar 28, 2010
    mikling

mikling Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

From what I have been seeing and not by any means the final word but Epson does make great photo papers. Certainly if you need something good and cost is not an issue, then they are always on the short list.

3. Mar 31, 2010
    Kefp

Kefp Getting Fingers Dirty

Printer Model:
    MP610, MP970, TS9020
    Ilford Premium Pearl
    Kirkland Professional Glossy
    Staples photo supreme double sided matte

4. Oct 29, 2010
    fortisi876

fortisi876 Getting Fingers Dirty

For now, primary paper has been Kirkland Pro Gloss in both their letter and 4x6 sizes.

I'm looking to order some paper and for the love of God I feel like a small child lost at ToysRUs without a clue of what I want, so I have a few questions if yall don't mind.

- How do you go about choosing what type of paper to print any specific image? Any suggested online articles/books about this?
    - I see the Staples Dbl sided Matte is pretty popular here, what do yall use this paper for mostly?
    - Since the lot of you seem to be more informed than I am, what paper do you suggest if you want it to last a looong time? (archival I suppose is the proper word??)
    - Also interested in papers that are available in larger sizes, I have yet to print a 17x22 image from my newly acquired 3800!!
    - Lastly, I see the price of rolls come a bit cheaper, what's the consensus on cutting sheets off a roll, too much of a hassle or ????

I'm now primarily printing off an Epson 3800 with Precision Colors ink, mostly motorsport racing related images, landscape images and family stuff too. I'd really like to print some nice B&W images and have no clue which paper to consider?

TIA!

5. Oct 29, 2010
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    fortisi876

If you want your prints to last a L O N G time then I would suggest you use both Epson paper and inks, and then youll be truly in the Archival business.
    But as youre using Precision Colours ink on your 3800 I dont think you have anything to worry about regarding print fading no matter what paper you use.
    There is a plethora of papers out there to choose from so pick one that you think your prints look best on, (you are your own best critic.)
    You touched on large format rolls for the 17 x 22 sizes and your spot on, as they are the cheapest way to get good quality Matt + gloss paper, thats what I use for all my large printing needs..:)

6. Oct 29, 2010
    fortisi876

fortisi876 Getting Fingers Dirty

Thnx Hat!

7. Oct 30, 2010
    ghwellsjr

ghwellsjr Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson WP-4530
    I use the Staples double sided matte most of the time mainly because it is so cheap (on sale), it is heavy, and it gives you two chances to get it right.

I haven't decided on which paper is best for fade resistance but next year I plan to do an extensive fade test involving a lot of different papers and a lot of different inks. Check back later.

I have used some roll paper just to be able to do wide landscapes (did you know most Canon printers can take 23" long paper?) but some of them want to stay rolled even after being printed. And don't make the mistake of feeding the roll directly into your printer, it will try to eject half the roll when done printing.

8. Oct 30, 2010
    Mowerman90

Mowerman90 Printer Guru

I use Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss from Sams Club 8 1/2x11, Kirkland Professional Glossy from Costco 8 1/2 x 11, and Kodak Ultra Premium Glossy from Sams Club 4x6. At Christmas time I print my own cards using Red River 53lb Premium Gloss 6 1/4x9 and 52lb Canadian Gloss/Matte 6 1/4x9 both pre-scored for folding and both have matte flinish inside to print verse on.

9. Oct 30, 2010
    ronzie

ronzie Getting Fingers Dirty

CANON Photo Paper II 4"x6" 400 Sheets
    Canon Photo Paper Glossy II 4"x6" is a vibrant, glossy paper that gives you crisp, clear pictures that are of the high-quality.
    $29.50

is just one example from itsupplies.com near Chicago (Rolling Meadows). Canon has it for $39.95 plus shipping. I use it for snaps, glossy proofing, and some final full size (8x10 image) with Canon or OCP (as soon as I refill a full six cartridge set) dye inks . Allowing for shipping that is only .01 per sheet. I use Canon Matte Photo MP101 in 8.5x11 (cut to 4x6 for for proofing).

When I want a fine-art paper I'll be looking at the Ilford series or possibly Red River.

Besides full OEM paper lines including fine art stock they have:
    Canson Infinity Paper
    Fredrix Canvas
    Hahnemuhle
    Harman
    Ilford Galerie
    Inkpress
    Inkjet Technologies
    Innova Paper
    Magiclee
    Moab by Legion Paper
    Museo Fine Art Med

all in several thicknesses and surfaces. They also have a sample pack section.

Ilford Gallery users might want to check:
    http://www.itsupplies.com/IlfordPapers
    for pricing.

I have my own print profiling Color Munki Photo equipment so the ink change will not be much of an issue. I am a hobbyist and my only problem is display real estate :)

10. Dec 21, 2010
    printfan1138

printfan1138 Guest

We like Kirkland professional glossy 10.4 mil 69 pound paper and also several types of Red River Papers in both glossy,and Matte.