Vivid Magenta K3 inks on a Non VM printer

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
A 9% increase in the Gamut map is apparently not that significant.
And admittedly I see nothing substantially or visually better other than knowing that I now will be able to use my 750ml each of OEM VM and LVM.
I was more concerned whether I would cause harm to the head tdue to possible differences in viscocity or other properties.
Soon I will set up one of the 3800s with them.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
A 9% increase in the Gamut map is apparently not that significant.
And admittedly I see nothing substantially or visually better other than knowing that I now will be able to use my 750ml each of OEM VM and LVM.
I was more concerned whether I would cause harm to the head tdue to possible differences in viscocity or other properties.
Soon I will set up one of the 3800s with them.

Joe
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/r..._4900_printer_hands_on_and_down_to_work.shtml

apparently beyond a certain level here a 21% increase ends up with a "not much" difference and these guys have discerning eyes. A good read.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks for the link. I read that a while ago but re read it and found it even more interesting. I am wondering how he feels now about the PRO 4900 after all the horror stories of clogs from hell.

Here is a gamut map 3D of my two profiles if you have a 3D Viewer.

The Wireframe the VM and the Solid is the Regular Magenta.
I have to say, that it is a pretty nice profile.

http://www.iccview.de/user/10018/100.wrl

Joe

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
For some reason people get really confused when it comes to rendering intents, it's not that complicated, really.

It's important to remember that the rendering intent selected will not affect the most saturated colour a printer can produce, it will only affect how the rest of the colours will "look" relative to that.

Here's a very simple example that illustrates clearly what happens:

This is a gradient made of shades of red, in a ProPhoto image:

2zxxedf.jpg

And this is how it looks when plotted against the printer profile (I'm using a 1400 here):

2l99ok.jpg

You can clearly see how three of the blocks of red fall outside the reproducible gamut, and this is where choosing the correct rendering intent will make a difference.
By printing using relative colorimetric, the relations between the colours inside the gamut are conserved, and the out of gamut colours are matched to the nearest point. That way, the most vivid colour the printer can produce, as well as those that the printer can't produce are mapped to the same colour.
With the perceptual, the farthest of the out of gamut colours are mapped to the most vivid colour the printer can produce and the rest of the colours are stretched to fit inside the reproducible gamut, without preserving their relations.

And here's a scan of the printed image, the top was printed using perceptual, the middle relative and the bottom absolute intent:

2dwdwfk.jpg

You can see how everything out of gamut was reproduced as the most vivid the printer can produce when using relative intent.

The most saturated colour (the best the printer can produce) was exactly the same for perceptual and relative colorimetric.

There is no simple answer as to what the best rendering intent is. The best way to determine that is to decide which of the tones in a specific image are important, inspect the image against the printer profile in a graphing program and then decide how you want those colours to behave in the printed image.