The ultimate DIY machine

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I've been dreaming about building one of these for quite some time. The design is superb, the community that are building it are helpful, and the performance is outstanding. The downside is that it is expensive to build, more so outside of USA but it's so cool...

Even the extruder can be printed and built using readily available parts, and is up there with the best designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7rMyajDy8&feature=youtu.be

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Looks pretty cool, but what am I missing that makes it really stand out from all the other options out there? I didn't see anything super "new", but maybe it's more about the quality of the bits / design than any crazy new functionality?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The design is superb, the community that are building it are helpful, and the performance is outstanding.
Very nice-looking machine but, for all that it doesn’t print any better than my CR-10, and my printer proved itself when printing my standard lampstand, it ran for over 170 hours without a blip and the print quality wasn’t bad either.

The only thing I liked on this printer was the enclosure, now that was cool, have a close look at the presentation cube it printed..
Untitled-2.jpg

I can’t fault the CR-10... :love

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
my printer proved itself when printing my standard lampstand, it ran for over 170 hours without a blip
7 days without an issue is impressive given we are in the infancy of 3D machines. :thumbsup

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@The Hat

Think that is ABS and it looks quite good for ABS. What you can't see is the surface finish which should be better than most movable bed machines.

@Nifty There are a lot of things I like about the Voron2:

• Fixed Bed so no more Z wobble with out of true leadscrews
  • Perfect 1st layer every time due to auto levelling gantry (bed is fixed)
  • It's enclosed by design and the design has a great cable management and layout
  • Print most things at 120mm/s. (that's twice the speed of the usual budget printers)
  • Better surface finish as greatly reduced banding and ghosting.

But as I said - it aint cheap so not for everyone (including me maybe) :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Those are pretty good benefits!

If I was in this for more than an occasional hobby, it might be worth looking into!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Think that is ABS and it looks quite good for ABS. What you can't see is the surface finish which should be better than most movable bed machines.
When you Put it like that, I suppose its an impressive machine and deserves a high price tag, the speed alone is very impressive compared to my printer, but I still reckon the bed levelling is not that essential, most like myself just use a piece of paper for levelling and it seems to work quite adequate.

Now that the weather is closing in, ABS and PETG are out of the question for me, that’s why I’d love an enclosure, and maybe I might even make up a frame if I can find some clear Acrylic Perspex sheets...
7 days without an issue is impressive given we are in the infancy of 3D machines.
It’s more impressive when you consider each print ran nonstop for 28 hours plus..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I wonder if I'll ever do a print longer than 8 hours... ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder if I'll ever do a print longer than 8 hours...
You design it and it will come...;)
I got my printer just so, I start the print and watch for a minute and then leave it to get on with it, O' but make sure you got enough filament for at least 8 hours..
What's the worst that can happen, I have only once come back to a big furball..:hide

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
First layer finish is a thing I am OCD about and has cost me many hrs of frustration but I'm getting better at ignoring it when I'm just printing "rough" parts. Paper method gets close but I am too well used to bed levelling now to go back to manual levelling. Having that feature is like having a remote control for your TV, you can manage without it but once you have it you don't want to do without.

Latest posts