The Twilight Zone unfortunately its real..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is some interesting news for you guys who use their printer with the ink monitoring totally disabled instead of using some sort of chip for ink control.

I have discovered that my printer a Pro 1 and quite possible most Canon printers act the same when the ink monitoring is deliberately disabled by the user or when using a CISS with no ARC chips.

When your printer is starting up or getting ready to print it will automatic do a clean cycle but what I have discovered is that the printer will waste far more ink from cartridges that have no ink monitoring enabled than the ones that have.

I had a sneaky suspicion of this before and couldnt prove it when I was using CISS systems on several of my printers, but now I have.

I weight all of my cartridges regularly so I know exactly how much ink is in any one of them to the nearest point of a gram.

This printer wastes .25 ml of ink on each cartridge when getting ready to print (Totally acceptable) but wastes a whopping 5 ml. on the cartridges that have no ink monitoring enabled.

So if anyone of you guy want to save your hard earned $$ then use some sort of chip that will record your ink status on screen just as long as the printer is not running blind and trying to kill your print head out of pure revenge..

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat wrote-
"This printer wastes .25 ml of ink on each cartridge when getting ready to print (Totally acceptable)
but wastes a whopping 5 ml. on the cartridges that have no ink monitoring enabled."

Did you mean five tenths of a ml or five ml (.5 ml or 5 ml)? Five ml is half of the usable ink in some cartridges.
Al

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Big_Al

Unfortunately yes I mean 5 ml, its shameful isnt it.

So much for having the big cartridges.. :somad

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
So to clarify further...

..a quarter a millilitre for the OEM with chips still valid, etc.. and 5ml when not...

Also is this reduced if the printer is being left on or does it still do the cleaning over a set period regardless?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
websnail said:
So to clarify further...

..a quarter a millilitre for the OEM with chips still valid, etc.. and 5ml when not...

Also is this reduced if the printer is being left on or does it still do the cleaning over a set period regardless?
Martin my printer is left on all the time which cuts the waste down to .25 ml. per Tank when getting ready to print.
But not on the tanks that are showing completely empty, it wastes the customary 5 ml on them each time regardless.

I am looking into acquiring new compatible (one time) chips to stop the unnecessary waste..:(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are you serious?!!!

Regardless of whether you've just printed or not it will waste 5ml immediately between print jobs, whether the printer has been left on or not?!

If that's a correct assessment that's down right criminal...

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Here is some interesting news for you guys who use their printer with the ink monitoring
totally disabled instead of using some sort of chip for ink control.

I have discovered that my printer a Pro 1 and quite possible most Canon printers act the same
when the ink monitoring is deliberately disabled by the user or when using a CISS with no ARC chips.

When your printer is starting up or getting ready to print it will automatic do a clean cycle
but what I have discovered is that the printer will waste far more ink from cartridges
that have no ink monitoring enabled than the ones that have.

I had a sneaky suspicion of this before and couldnt prove it when I was using CISS systems on several of my printers, but now I have.
I weight all of my cartridges regularly so I know exactly how much ink is in any one of them to the nearest point of a gram.

This printer wastes .25 ml of ink on each cartridge when getting ready to print (Totally acceptable)
but wastes a whopping 5 ml. on the cartridges that have no ink monitoring enabled.

So if anyone of you guy want to save your hard earned $$ then use some sort of chip that will record your ink status on screen
just as long as the printer is not running blind and trying to kill your print head out of pure revenge..
Hat, this is totally false. I have printers that had the ink monitoring disabled for years. They did not waste any more ink at all.
Do the math, hat. 5 ml each time times 3 the cartridge is out of ink. That would have taken me less than an hour and I would
have to refill 10 times a day. No, it is not true. I refilled more like once every 10 days.

You blew it this time, Hat. Congratulations. Seriously, you don't know all Canon printers. The real difference, I mean one difference I know,
is the detector that detects empty cartridges, is turned off. That is evil by Canon.

I ran out of ink before refilling from time to time. The detector never tried to stop me from printing. But, no, my print head wasn't
destroyed. Not once but 10 times maybe more. I am talking about ip4200, ip4300 and ip4500, not crappy Pro 1 with a self-destruction feature.
You blew it on this one too. Twice in one post. Thanks a lot, man.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Grandexp I suggest you re-read the topic from start to finish... This post was primarily based on the Canon Pro1... not generic Canon printers over years although the supposition that 5ml is wasted would be wrong, my guess is that The Hat was indicating that other models waste more ink when using non-OEM ink.

Hardly grounds for that childish little routine of tongue poke, raspberry blowing silliness above.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Websnail, I did read the whole post carefully. This is what he said:

"I have discovered that my printer a Pro 1 and quite possible most Canon printers act the same "
Regret that you interpret my post that way. I am just trying to tell the fact about other Canon printers.