The Hat ReFilling Method Mark ll for PGI-9 Cartridge.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat Following your great effort here is similar offering using the only clip I have. I cut off the top of a 10ml syringe including a small portion of the body. The inside diameter is exactly 5/8", so I cut off a small slice of bar, drilled the centre 3.5mm and soldered in a short length of thin walled brass tube approx.0.137" dia. The neoprene washer inside the clip I punched with one of those 6 position rotating leather punches.

First attempt with my 60ml female luer syringe was not sucessful, but a strong elastic band at the clip end fixed that and I now have a strong vacuum. Unfortunately this clip will only fit the BCI-3bk, not any of the others I have.

5268_refill-5_008.jpg

I feel this simple approach could be achieved by others with materials they may have to hand. which was of course started by gwhellsjr initial design:p

barfl2

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ok an up-date on filling the Canon PGI-9 cartridges
The PGI-9 cartridge weights 17.9 gm empty so all you have to do is fill it with 16 ml of ink giving a total weight of 34 gm.
but do not exceed that weight if you want to keep your hands clean (32 gm best).

Drill and make your refiller as described above in thread #one but use a 14 or 12 gauge needle instead of the 20 gauge I used originally (my mistake).
(And before stratman can say anything, No its not doubled barrelled)

You can use any size needles for this refiller and you can drill out the centre piece once you have glued
the pieces together if you dont have a 14 gauge needle to hand (bigger is better).

I was able to get a couple of 50 ml syringes from Octoinkjet which are very necessary if you want to have a successful refill and no mess.
The difference between my first attempt and my successful second attempt was the use of a larger gauge needle and a bigger syringe. (Stupidly simple).

Instruction:- Newly revised
Remove the original orange shoe clip from your cartridge and replace it with your newly made refiller which will clip securely onto your cartridge.
First take your syringe and attach it to your refiller then while holding the syringe below the cartridge
pull back on the plunger gently till you feel some resistance then stop.
This removes all the air out of the cartridge.

5128_large_syringe.png

To calculate the right amount of ink to go in your cartridge is very simple just weight the cartridge and
take its total weight from 34 gm. and the amount left is the maximum amount you can put into your cartridge safely (1 gm = 1 ml ).

Now if you dont have a scales you can use the method described above to fill any of your cartridges at any time
by just removing the remaining ink and air left in your cartridge and then top-up or refill the syringe again
to 16 ml and reinject it back into the cartridge, your cartridge is now full and ready for instant use.

5128_ink_filling.png

If you havent used too much ink in your syringe then there will be no overflow coming out of the top
of your cartridge and it is safe to remove the orange clip from the now completely filled cartridge.

Give your refiller and syringe a quick wash-out with water and youll be ready to fill your very next cartridge, Good luck.
Cautionary note here, it is wiser to reset your cartridge chip before attempting to refill just to avoid spillage and coloured hands.

A complete comprehensive filling method can be found here:- http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6999

A great thank you is needed here to ghwellsjr for it was his idea that inspired me to conjure up this contraption and make refilling the PGI-9 cartridge an absolute breeze.
Happy Printing..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Drill and make your refiller as described above in thread one but use a 14 or 12 gauge needle instead of the 20 gauge I used originally (my mistake).
(And before stratman can say anything, No its not doubled barrelled)
I see you are using the pump action instead of an automatic 12 guage.

Give one (or two) of these a try next time. :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman Give one (or two) of these a try next time. :lol:
I dont like to use ARSs (Automatic Reset Syringes.)
They tend to be too messy just like your video cousins..;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Can you shoot a video? That would be a 1st as no one has one out yet.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Very brilliant work The Hat :thumbsup

I specially like the idea of weighing to determine what amount of ink to be used, so the syringe can be detached from the refill clip without the risk of spilling ink. I think this would also be useful when refilling the other types of cartridges, especially the opaque ones.

I think a standard digital kitchen scale with 1 gram resolution isn't quite accurate enough, so what kind of better scale do you use ? Will one of these be sufficient, or will it just be waste of money to by a cheap product from the far east? : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/pocket-precision-digital-scale-1000g-max-0-1g-resolution-15766 Has anybody got any comments on the company ?

Searching Google for "digital scale 0.1 g" either finds pocket sizes scales or expensive lab type equipment. So will one of the cheap scales be adequate or should one look for a used lab scale?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ so what kind of better scale do you use ? Will one of these be sufficient, or will it just be waste of money to by a cheap product from the far east? : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/pocket-pre tion-15766 Has anybody got any comments on the company ?
The scales youre looking at are very similar to the one I use, the brand name on mine is Kenex @ 20
but Id say that they all work much the same and are just perfect for the job..:)

5128_untitlscales.png

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The simpler Canadian Jig. All that is needed is a pushpin and a shortened needle!

Locate the dimple or dome on the rubber side. The rest is pretty much told by the pictures.

Dome.jpg

Latest posts